ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Oct 16, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #1,306 of 12,524
Dang! That sounds like some serious fun, to actually feel the music. I have got to get my ears on some VC or VO, someday soon.

Wes, yes you do, the VC is my favorite headphone of all time (for now), Joe Louis Walker’s rocking my world presently! After I get my review written, and if can bear to be without them, shoot me an IM me, and perhaps we can work out a loan.

Oct 16, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #1,308 of 12,524
My Monkeypods are here to stay, you’ll love them when you get a chance to hear them. I went a bit over two weeks without headphones, had to travel light, and I’m finally home and I’m falling in love all over again! I went back to the stock, solid leather, sloped pads, I prefer the bigger stag and bass.
The idea of reasonably lightweight, excellent sounding, excellent imaging cans with great isolation is just drawing me in daily.

Oct 16, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #1,309 of 12,524
The latest album has some clipping issues I just can't unhear. Check 1:22, 1:27, 1:31 on Pneuma.
Nothing worse than brickwalled albums. RHCP,Oasis and Metallica are some of the worst offenders. Completely ruins an album when you try to listen with something as revealing as the VC.

Oct 16, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #1,310 of 12,524
Nothing worse than brickwalled albums. RHCP,Oasis and Metallica are some of the worst offenders. Completely ruins an album when you try to listen with something as revealing as the VC.

That's why you gotta keep something less resolving around. At work, I've got the Emu Teak. At home, the Sendy Aiva. For when even a 24 bit FLAC file sounds like a 96mbps lossy .mp3 played underwater because the engineer was using a '76 Ford Pinto stereo to master with.

Oct 16, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #1,311 of 12,524
That's why you gotta keep something less resolving around. At work, I've got the Emu Teak. At home, the Sendy Aiva. For when even a 24 bit FLAC file sounds like a 96mbps lossy .mp3 played underwater because the engineer was using a '76 Ford Pinto stereo to master with.
I can hear a brickwalled mastering from pretty much any headphone,but the VC rewards the listener when given a HiRez file played through a good system with mind-blowing goodness. Equally with a crap quality file,or poor masterings its entirely unenjoyable.

Oct 16, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #1,312 of 12,524
Revealing headphones ruined Metallica for me :frowning2: Ignorance was bliss when i used to listen with cheap Sony on ears......

Oct 16, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #1,313 of 12,524
Listening to Tool with my VC, what an experience. Some serious impact in the low end which sounds great on well recorded music.

A couple days ago, I was listening to the new Tool album, but with the AK320/380 AMP and Solaris (my travel rig)... "Chocolate Chip Trip" blew me outta my seat. Halfway through the song, I had my own chocolate chip trip, providing sizeable vexation to fellow customers in the coffee shop.

Oct 16, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #1,314 of 12,524
Zach’s an artist, period!

agreed. I also feel like Zach straddles this interesting line between headphone enthusiast and musical instrument creator.

I play banjo, guitar and djembe drum and there is amazing wood work and craftsmanship that go into those instruments. I feel like Zach’s creations have that same spirit in them.

Oct 16, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #1,315 of 12,524
When you can’t get enough purple in your life :wink: sorry cellphone pic but had to post!

PSX_20191016_183504.jpg

Oct 16, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #1,316 of 12,524
I jumped on this VC presale before securing the funds and am realizing I need to reallocate to something else.

I am plenty satisfied with my VO so VC will have to wait for now.

Please contact me by PM to take my seat on the waiting list and benefit from opening price,

cheers,
Arnaud

Oct 16, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #1,317 of 12,524
Listening to this track on the VC, with my El DAC and EC ZDT Jr... about to play some videogames....but got caught up by this:

Here is a link to their website, lots of great tracks there! It is actually one of my favorite groups:
https://www.shanghairestorationproject.com/?page_id=17

This is the track that introduced me to the band:

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #1,318 of 12,524
When you can’t get enough purple in your life :wink: sorry cellphone pic but had to post!

Ha, this would make the late Prince proud......They would fit right in at Paisley Park!

Oct 17, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #1,319 of 12,524
This is an effect that I went for with both versions of the Verite - the idea that slight movement of the baffle will cause the chamber and parts around it to move giving more of a "feel" to music than just the frequency response. We do it by thinning the wood around where the driver is held to be much more thin and fragile than the rest of the baffle which in comparison is very robust. While it does lead to more wasted parts in machining and assembly, it gives a "trampoline" effect where the baffle in that area moves a little more as the driver is exercised.
I've always enjoyed the visceral feel of speakers and ZMF HF's's come closest to recreating that in HF's. With speakers, based purely on causal inference rather than knowledge, I've surmised that the speaker elements' excursion contributed to this physicality, and perhaps the analogy to baffle movement holds. On the flip side, does this slight movement rather than firmly fixed position potentially jeopardize the permanence of the baffle staying in exactly the desired optimal position versus slowly migrating with repetitive movement? Knowing Zach's design rigor and diligence, I suspect that's been addressed but the topic is so interesting I thought I'd ask.

Oct 17, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #1,320 of 12,524
Wes, yes you do, the VC is my favorite headphone of all time (for now), Joe Louis Walker’s rocking my world presently! After I get my review written, and if can bear to be without them, shoot me an IM me, and perhaps we can work out a loan.
Thanks man! That is very gracious of you! I am humbled you would even consider this, and it just shows how awesome ZMF fans are. I might take you up on that, but my concern is my other headphones, will be obsolete, after hearing them. I think I might hold off on hearing them, until I have the funds, so I can enjoy my lesser gear in the meantime. I appreciate the offer, and will just take your word, they are my endgame. :o2smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back