ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Sep 30, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #1,036 of 12,586
My brother,who isnt a member here,was whining the whole time waiting for his Auteurs to be built.
He apparently has changed his tune and now describes the wait as something that made him appreciate its arrival even more.

Sep 30, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #1,037 of 12,586
My brother,who isnt a member here,was whining the whole time waiting for his Auteurs to be built.
He apparently has changed his tune and now describes the wait as something that made him appreciate its arrival even more.
Reminds me of a definition I once heard for an adventure:
Looking back and remembering a bad experience. :wink:

Sep 30, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #1,038 of 12,586
wait...
killing...
me...

thought some of you might empathise
Hahaha, super MEGA empathise!!!

Yeah, like a good wine. Let it age and enjoy it at the right time.
I keep telling myself this... maybe I'll believe it eventually. :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #1,039 of 12,586
Yeah, like a good wine. Let it age and enjoy it at the right time.
I keep telling myself this... maybe I'll believe it eventually.

Funny you used the wine analogy. He owns a small vineyard in Temecula and makes his own wine. They work with people of all ages with disabilities to help with vocational training.

http://www.sperovineyards.org/

Sep 30, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #1,040 of 12,586
Funny you used the wine analogy. He owns a small vineyard in Temecula and makes his own wine. They work with people of all ages with disabilities to help with vocational training.

http://www.sperovineyards.org/
That's a beautiful project: wine + helping the community. Congrats to your brother. :thumbsup:

Sep 30, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #1,042 of 12,586
Hello everybody. I still in doubt between ironwood or monkeypod. Which one will be less dark signature? When I tried the Autuer I like more the teak than the cocobolo (cocobolo sound more darker to me) I prefer a less dark signature.
What about a carry case. Which one will fit properly the verite closed?
Thanks

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #1,043 of 12,586
Hello everybody. I still in doubt between ironwood or monkeypod. Which one will be less dark signature? When I tried the Autuer I like more the teak than the cocobolo (cocobolo sound more darker to me) I prefer a less dark signature.
What about a carry case. Which one will fit properly the verite closed?
Thanks
Im not sure many folks,if any,other than Zach, has had extensive time with both wood types to say one way or the other.

Sep 30, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #1,044 of 12,586
Im not sure many folks,if any,other than Zach, has had extensive time with both wood types to say one way or the other.
Thanks. Maybe @zach915m can help me with that doubt. Probably tomorrow will hit the button. Just need to know wich one. Oh lord :fingers_crossed::L3000:

Sep 30, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #1,045 of 12,586
@TheHighlander

Cocobolo sounds lush/dark because it is a dense tonewood like rosewood. Teak is more like mahogany.

Here’s how to understand the sonic differences. I have two acoustic guitars. One is rosewood back and and sides. And the other is mahogany.

The rosewood guitar has more sustain, more bass, and a rich, full, lush tone. I use this guitar primarily for fingerpicking.

The mahogany guitar has more attack, more bite, less sustain, less bass, snappier mids, and a rounder, less weighty tone. I use this guitar primarily for flatpicking.

Desert Ironwood will perform more like rosewood. MonkeyPod will be closer to mahogany. Hope that helps.

Sep 30, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #1,046 of 12,586
@TheHighlander

Cocobolo sounds lush/dark because it is a dense tonewood like rosewood. Teak is more like mahogany.

Here’s how to understand the sonic differences. I have two acoustic guitars. One is rosewood back and and sides. And the other is mahogany.

The rosewood guitar has more sustain, more bass, and a rich, full, lush tone. I use this guitar primarily for fingerpicking.

The mahogany guitar has more attack, more bite, less sustain, less bass, snappier mids, and a rounder, less weighty tone. I use this guitar primarily for flatpicking.

Desert Ironwood will perform more like rosewood. MonkeyPod will be closer to mahogany. Hope that helps.
Thank you very much. So monkeypod probably will be my choice.

Oct 1, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #1,047 of 12,586
@Monsterzero thank you so much for your review. I finally got around to listening to it. Your commentary on pairing with solid state has me excited given that i have the TT2.

would you mind elaborating on your experience with the sound signature when pad rolling.

Oct 1, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #1,048 of 12,586
@Monsterzero thank you so much for your review. I finally got around to listening to it. Your commentary on pairing with solid state has me excited given that i have the TT2.

would you mind elaborating on your experience with the sound signature when pad rolling.
I cant really say too much because once I found the sound I was after I havent looked back.

In my system the other two pads both had more bass,but added unwanted blubber on the bottom end,causing the breathtaking speed of the VC to be diminished.
In my review I noted how I rolled pads and tubes for the VO to sound very warm,and holographic,so with the VC I was going for the exact opposite,and achieved it with a different tube roll and Auteur non-perf pads. Im getting plenty of bass with my KenRad VT231s and sextet of 6BX7s. Fantastic flowing mids from the GEC 18/20 and KenRad. My DAC is quite revealing,so I have all the bases covered. :)

Some folks will prefer the bassier sound of the other two pads,and perhaps in their system the decay will be quicker than in my system. Thats one of the beautiful things about ZMF headphones. We can roll pads for quite a bit of difference in sound to fit our tastes.

Oct 1, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #1,049 of 12,586
I cant really say too much because once I found the sound I was after I havent looked back.

In my system the other two pads both had more bass,but added unwanted blubber on the bottom end,causing the breathtaking speed of the VC to be diminished.
In my review I noted how I rolled pads and tubes for the VO to sound very warm,and holographic,so with the VC I was going for the exact opposite,and achieved it with a different tube roll and Auteur non-perf pads. Im getting plenty of bass with my KenRad VT231s and sextet of 6BX7s. Fantastic flowing mids from the GEC 18/20 and KenRad. My DAC is quite revealing,so I have all the bases covered. :)

Some folks will prefer the bassier sound of the other two pads,and perhaps in their system the decay will be quicker than in my system. Thats one of the beautiful things about ZMF headphones. We can roll pads for quite a bit of difference in sound to fit our tastes.

Couldn't agree more. Headphone manufacturers that don't ship out multiple pads are really missing a trick. Not everyone likes the same sound so giving people the flexibility to easily tune to what they want is great and must surely increase popularity. Certainly a great benefit with my Empyrean and by the sounds of it same again when my VCs arrive.

Oct 1, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #1,050 of 12,586
Couldn't agree more. Headphone manufacturers that don't ship out multiple pads are really missing a trick. Not everyone likes the same sound so giving people the flexibility to easily tune to what they want is great and must surely increase popularity. Certainly a great benefit with my Empyrean and by the sounds of it same again when my VCs arrive.
That's why two of my favorite HP's are the Empy and Verite. Pads can be a great asset, it can be more drastic than a cable change and even forego the use of eq.

This is where Meze is not utilizing a great asset of theirs. They have one of the easiest pad changing systems.......but with only two pads. Told them in the Empy forum, maybe Zach can show them how to make and test pads and not take over a year to do it!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back