ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Dec 10, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #8,717 of 12,463
I own an olive wood vc which I love. Im thinking about changing pads. It came with two sets of pads. Does anybody know what stock vc come fitted with so that I can work out what to try next?

Dec 10, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #8,718 of 12,463
I own an olive wood vc which I love. Im thinking about changing pads. It came with two sets of pads. Does anybody know what stock vc come fitted with so that I can work out what to try next?
I think it always comes with Auteur Solid Lambskin pads installed. My alternate set of pads was the Universe Solid Lambskin. I much prefer the Auteur pad though. Zach thinks a good contrasting pad to the Auteur is the BE2.

Dec 10, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #8,719 of 12,463
Take a couple of pictures of the two sets you have; people here are really good at identifying them. They come fitted with lambskin Auteurs (as @ckhirnigs113 said), but the secondary pads are selectable. Default is BE2 lambskin. If you still have the order confirmation email, it should have your selections in it. I think.

I ended up settling on the hybrid BE2 pads for my VCs after trying out solid Eikons, Auteurs and Universes.

What are you looking for in your sound vs. your current options? You can go brighter with BE2 - and brighter yet with suede BE2, and even brighter yet with solid Verite. Universe will push it warmer. Eikons I don't recommend... they elevate the bass but it gets a bit bloomy to my ears.

Dec 10, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #8,720 of 12,463
Take a couple of pictures of the two sets you have; people here are really good at identifying them. They come fitted with lambskin Auteurs (as @ckhirnigs113 said), but the secondary pads are selectable. Default is BE2 lambskin. If you still have the order confirmation email, it should have your selections in it. I think.

I ended up settling on the hybrid BE2 pads for my VCs after trying out solid Eikons, Auteurs and Universes.

What are you looking for in your sound vs. your current options? You can go brighter with BE2 - and brighter yet with suede BE2, and even brighter yet with solid Verite. Universe will push it warmer. Eikons I don't recommend... they elevate the bass but it gets a bit bloomy to my ears.
I'm not sure when the default secondary pad became the BE2 Lambskin, but it is a relatively recent change. I'm not sure if that change had happened when the Olive VC's were being sold. I will mention that I tried a BE2 pad on my Auteur, and my large ears were resting on the driver in an uncomfortable way because the BE2 pad is much shallower.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #8,721 of 12,463
What is the process like for the wait time on headphones? Will we get emails on the progress? Is there a way to check your order status. I'm only on day 16 of waiting for my VC. I was just curious what to expect and when or if you get updates?

Dec 10, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #8,722 of 12,463
Who got this one?

Its beautiful....

PM me when you are ready to sell it....:)
-
-
Neruda.jpeg
This is actually a semi gloss satin hand rubbed finish. The natural woods look best with it and more chatoyance than a sprayed gloss.
What is the process like for the wait time on headphones? Will we get emails on the progress? Is there a way to check your order status. I'm only on day 16 of waiting for my VC. I was just curious what to expect and when or if you get updates?
Sorry for anyone who is waiting for an update, on my to do list today. We have been trying to work ahead more lately, and the good news is that all pending orders we have already gotten through the machining phase.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 10, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #8,723 of 12,463
This is actually a semi gloss satin hand rubbed finish. The natural woods look best with it and more chatoyance than a sprayed gloss.

Sorry for anyone who is waiting for an update, on my to do list today. We have been trying to work ahead more lately, and the good news is that all pending orders we have already gotten through the machining phase.
Thanks for the update zach!

Dec 10, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #8,724 of 12,463
I'm not sure when the default secondary pad became the BE2 Lambskin, but it is a relatively recent change. I'm not sure if that change had happened when the Olive VC's were being sold. I will mention that I tried a BE2 pad on my Auteur, and my large ears were resting on the driver in an uncomfortable way because the BE2 pad is
I think it is relatively new change. I think I remember seeing Zach say he likes/prefers the BE2 with some of the denser woods. BE2 definitely makes a bigger change from the auteur pad than the universe to me. Unfortunately the BE2 and Verite are much thinner pads and will do that for us larger extending ear folks. I used verite pads on my aeolus and my ears used to flex the mesh every now and then, mainly when putting it on, or adjusting it on my head. It never bothered my listening, but just noticed every now and then when moving it. However, the BE2 and Verite pads for VC haven't had that issue to me since VC has a plastic? baffle in front of the driver and not the mesh like aeolus and auteur.

Dec 10, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #8,725 of 12,463
Anyone have any experience with the Auris Euterpe and how it pairs with the VC? Or if any ZMF pairing comments in general that'd be helpful, have tried searching but not many impressions available.

Hi folks! Long-time lurker, first post here.

I run the VC (stock Sapele, BE2 pads) with the Euterpe on high output impedance from a Holo Spring 3 KTE DAC. No sense of rolled off treble or bass for me, particularly when running a lively NOS tube in the preamp spot. (Mind you, I do add a +2 dB sub-bass shelf in Roon.)

Of course you'll want to give Resolve's assessment way more credence than mine. Not only am I relatively inexperienced, I also purchased the Euterpe and am perhaps inclined to think it sounds great to rationalise the expense.

I'm afraid I have very little to compare my setup to. What I can say is that I much prefer the VC on the Euterpe than I do on the RME ADI 2. To my ears, the VC sound a bit veiled in the treble on that SS setup. I recall Zach at one point saying that the VC treble can be a little anaemic on low OI setups.

I can offer one more data point on the amp from here in Australia. That's actually my unit there, as I purchased it from Lachlan. Come to think of it, Lachlan did find the amp to be less impressive in the bass than his Bottlehead Mainline, so maybe there is something to the idea that it's a bit weak there?

Hope this helps a teensy bit.

Dec 10, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #8,726 of 12,463
Hi folks! Long-time lurker, first post here.

I run the VC (stock Sapele, BE2 pads) with the Euterpe on high output impedance from a Holo Spring 3 KTE DAC. No sense of rolled off treble or bass for me, particularly when running a lively NOS tube in the preamp spot. (Mind you, I do add a +2 dB sub-bass shelf in Roon.)

Of course you'll want to give Resolve's assessment way more credence than mine. Not only am I relatively inexperienced, I also purchased the Euterpe and am perhaps inclined to think it sounds great to rationalise the expense.

I'm afraid I have very little to compare my setup to. What I can say is that I much prefer the VC on the Euterpe than I do on the RME ADI 2. To my ears, the VC sound a bit veiled in the treble on that SS setup. I recall Zach at one point saying that the VC treble can be a little anaemic on low OI setups.

I can offer one more data point on the amp from here in Australia. That's actually my unit there, as I purchased it from Lachlan. Come to think of it, Lachlan did find the amp to be less impressive in the bass than his Bottlehead Mainline, so maybe there is something to the idea that it's a bit weak there?

Hope this helps a teensy bit.

Happy first post!

And super helpful impressions and feedback, thanks. Had also come across that video when I was looking it up earlier - helped give me a more positive impression vs the prior one about potential roll-offs. 'll keep the Euterpe in consideration for sure, might be as a secondary setup a few months from now.

Ended up coming across a used Pendant, so will pick that back up again as I miss the one I sold a few months back :)

Dec 11, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #8,727 of 12,463
If anyone is interested in a Planar equivalent to their VC the Liric is probably it.

Closest I've heard in most categories. They trade blows very well.

IMG_2931.jpg

Dec 11, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #8,728 of 12,463
If anyone is interested in a Planar equivalent to their VC the Liric is probably it.

Closest I've heard in most categories. They trade blows very well.

The lyric is just so ugly to me. I love the look of the empy and elite though. I would love to hear these too together. There are only so many good closed back headphone available. It's nice to see new options.

Dec 11, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #8,729 of 12,463
The lyric is just so ugly to me. I love the look of the empy and elite though. I would love to hear these too together. There are only so many good closed back headphone available. It's nice to see new options.
Yeah. I think looks are very subjective. I think the Liric is a stunning looking headphone.

My VC is unbelievable though. I think ZMF makes the nicest looking headphones in the world bar none.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back