ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jun 8, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #6,466 of 12,522
I completely agree the VC is the king for electronic music. The gut punching slam + sub-bass extension, combined with laser focused micro-details is like nothing else I've heard before.

Piling on with a few more tracks that I like to use when those beryillium drivers need a heavy workout:

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #6,467 of 12,522
Little bit of a result this evening with Atticus.

First off, I've changed DAC, from Modi Multibit to Gungnir Multibit. This has provided more detail, space, and the mids/mid-bass do not feel as fuzzy/congested. Atticus sounds much better with Echo and also with MJ2 vs Lyr 2. (As a side note, Gumby & MJ2 have also transformed Alpha Prime - the improvement is significant.)

Secondly, I came across this very helpful tutorial by Zach, explaining headphone adjustment -

I realised that a large chunk of my dissatisfaction with Atticus was due to the HP clamping too hard on the sensitive areas just below your ears. It's uncomfortable and fatiguing.

The above being said, I still am not 100pc happy with Atticus and I still feel like switching it out for VC will be best in the long run. I'm glued to the Classifieds lol :smile_cat:

Jun 8, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #6,468 of 12,522
Little bit of a result this evening with Atticus.

First off, I've changed DAC, from Modi Multibit to Gungnir Multibit. This has provided more detail, space, and the mids/mid-bass do not feel as fuzzy/congested. Atticus sounds much better with Echo and also with MJ2 vs Lyr 2. (As a side note, Gumby & MJ2 have also transformed Alpha Prime - the improvement is significant.)

Secondly, I came across this very helpful tutorial by Zach, explaining headphone adjustment -

I realised that a large chunk of my dissatisfaction with Atticus was due to the HP clamping too hard on the sensitive areas just below your ears. It's uncomfortable and fatiguing.

The above being said, I still am not 100pc happy with Atticus and I still feel like switching it out for VC will be best in the long run. I'm glued to the Classifieds lol :smile_cat:

I had an Atticus and upgraded it to the VC and I am very happy with the upgrade...I also loved the Atticus sound... that mid bass is just wonderful imo.
Mostly Blues / Classic Rock / Rock / Pink Floyd are my listening preferences. I consider Pink Floyd it's own genre :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jun 8, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #6,469 of 12,522
Jun 8, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #6,470 of 12,522
I had an Atticus and upgraded it to the VC and I am very happy with the upgrade...I also loved the Atticus sound... that mid bass is just wonderful imo.
Mostly Blues / Classic Rock / Rock / Pink Floyd are my listening preferences. I consider Pink Floyd it's own genre :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Awesome, glad you like the VC. I really enjoy Atticus with say Bruce Springsteen style music etc and it's improved with some less complex/hard hitting electronica now I have Gungnir Multibit in my chain.

It's just not hitting the spot for me with faster moving/hard hitting stuff like this:

This is slow & relaxing (Hilary Stagg was a genius, he made truly beautiful music) and yet it needs a more resolving HP than Atticus (my Alpha Prime sounds better imo) :

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #6,471 of 12,522
The pilot pad is saving my life right now.

While the VC's are lighter than my HE-500s, I still run into issues with clamp force... Specifically, my left ear sticks out a little more than my right ear, and as a result my ear runs up against the driver, leading to the occasional irritation. Some days are fine, other days can be obnoxious. I've tried to readjust the headband, but because I have the suede suspension strap, it's hard to fully adjust the headband without taking the strap off, and I lack the tool to do it.

Then I remembered I bought the pilot pad years ago for my 500's but I never really used them, so decided to try them on the VCs...

And instantly felt a good bit more comfort, relieving the hot spot on top of my head, stopping the cans from drooping down on my ears, and pulling the driver away from my left ear just enough to add some relief. Might just keep these on for a bit.

Any other folks with largish ears who can add some comfort tips?

Attachments

• PXL_20210608_205722677.jpg
    PXL_20210608_205722677.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #6,473 of 12,522
The pilot pad is saving my life right now.

While the VC's are lighter than my HE-500s, I still ran into issues with clamp force... Specifically, my left ear sticks out a little more than my right ear, and as a result my ears runs up against the driver, leading to the occasional irritation. Some days were fine, other days were obnoxious. I've tried to readjust the headband, but because I have the suede suspension strap, it's hard to fully adjust the headband without taking the strap off, and I lack the tool to do it.

Then I remembered I bought the pilot pad years ago for my 500's but I never really used them, so decided to try them on the VCs...

And instantly felt a good bit more comfort, relieving the hot spot on top of my head, stopping the cans from drooping down on my ears, and pulling the driver away from my left ear just enough to add some relief. Might just keep these on for a bit.

Any other folks with largish ears who can add some comfort tips?
That's interesting, I am really sensitive with ear cup placement due to big-ish ears (lol). I find the Atticus cups really "hard" compared to the Alpha Pads on my Primes. I can wear the Primes all day whilst working and hardly be aware that they're there comfort wise. Atticus by comparison aren't quite as "fit and forget".

The depth of the Pilot Pad as pictured in your photo looks really sumptuous and I may look at getting one myself.

Jun 8, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #6,474 of 12,522
Chicane is a favourite artist of mine:

It was this track that got me hooked on decent head-fi gear several years ago:

Oh heck yes! I love Chicane!

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #6,477 of 12,522
That's interesting, I am really sensitive with ear cup placement due to big-ish ears (lol). I find the Atticus cups really "hard" compared to the Alpha Pads on my Primes. I can wear the Primes all day whilst working and hardly be aware that they're there comfort wise. Atticus by comparison aren't quite as "fit and forget".

The depth of the Pilot Pad as pictured in your photo looks really sumptuous and I may look at getting one myself.

Also look into the Co-Pilot pad.

Bought one initially to help with the weight of the Cocobobo Auteurs - now I use them for any ZMF can as the improvement in comfort is really noticeable, and I found them comfortable to begin with!

Pilot Pads are nice and plush but Co-Pilot (Suede one specifically) is plenty plush but wider, so helps with weight distribution better.

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #6,478 of 12,522
Also look into the Co-Pilot pad.

Bought one initially to help with the weight of the Cocobobo Auteurs - now I use them for any ZMF can as the improvement in comfort is really noticeable, and I found them comfortable to begin with!

Pilot Pads are nice and plush but Co-Pilot (Suede one specifically) is plenty plush but wider, so helps with weight distribution better.
Okay will do thanks

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #6,479 of 12,522
Good man! I first listened to Chicane back in 1997 when he released "Far from The Maddening Crowds". It's stood the test of time well., and his music has improved/grown over time.

This is a gorgeous track:

Mellow. I like it. Some modern psybient, ambient, downtempo I dig.

Irina Mikhailova is a former member of Medicine Drum, who is reponsible for my alltime favoite electronica track, Slipstream. I once saw heaven listening to this track, for reals. the breakdown @ 4:40 is just too emotionally uplifting!

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #6,480 of 12,522
Im not sure as to why there are more VO vs. VC for sale. I know if I were forced to keep just one headphone it would be the VC.

Another thing to consider is when buying any ZMF new you get a lifetime warranty on the drivers. I believe that warranty does not apply to ZMF headphones that are bought 2nd hand.
I am complete opposite. I also own both but if I had to give up one it may be the VC.
who am I kidding…I am getting buried with both, lol!
I do find myself using my VO a bit more but it is also newer. That may change with time but I like them both for different reasons.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back