ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
May 13, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #6,091 of 12,522
Any thought on going with more resin/pure resin and/or brighter colors like the Rad-0?

I'm sure a lot of people would prefer them to the many shades of brown:
I have no idea what others prefer, but I personally love that intensely colored wood with a lot of burls, which is more like the first 2 that were created. It's the only thing that makes me want to sell mine and get one like that once supply catches up with demand and they're also available to repeat stabilized customers.

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #6,092 of 12,522
Any thought on going with more resin/pure resin and/or brighter colors like the Rad-0?

Absolutely love the brighter colors, those purple blocks are a dream. A huge draw to the ZMF brand for me is the machined wood, so I don't think I'd be into a *pure* resin headphone, but that might just be me.

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #6,093 of 12,522

Hey thanks for the request!!!!

We have done a bunch of different colors the first four stabilized batches. Here's a few examples! We really have tried to provide different shades, gradients, and colors to each of the batches. After the first couple batches were quite "bright" we had requests for darker colors so we tried to do that this time around. I think once you blow the pictures of the most recent batch up, you'll see none of them are really brown, but are actually really deep color tones with darker hues. We will definitely try to provide more variance of color in the future!

Also - more about our process, we actually use 5 x 5 x 2 blocks of wood to make these, which is slightly limiting in how unnaturally bright we can make the color. I realize that with certain woods you may be able to add more resin instead of wood if there's enough voids, but I think that is more along the lines of resin filled burl instead of actual stabilized wood, and I'm not sure how stable that would be for headphone building as I haven't tried it.

I am not sure what they are doing over with the RAD headphones but they are definitely beautiful! I was under the impression they were using epoxy resin for their units but if they are using stabilized wood they are getting some really bright colors! Very cool!
Arakis_Topdown.jpgDSC05277.jpgDSC05257.jpgDSC06139.jpgDSC05405.jpg

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 13, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #6,094 of 12,522

We have done a bunch of different colors the first four stabilized batches. Here's a few examples! We really have tried to provide different shades, gradients, and colors to each of the batches. After the first couple batches were quite "bright" we had requests for darker colors so we tried to do that this time around. I think once you blow the pictures of the most recent batch up, you'll see none of them are really brown, but are actually really deep color tones with darker hues. We will definitely try to provide more variance of color in the future!

Also - more about our process, we actually use 5 x 5 x 2 blocks of wood to make these, which is slightly limiting in how unnaturally bright we can make the color. I realize that with certain woods you may be able to add more resin instead of wood if there's enough voids, but I think that is more along the lines of resin filled burl instead of actual stabilized wood, and I'm not sure how stable that would be for headphone building as I haven't tried it.

I am not sure what they are doing over with the RAD headphones but they are definitely beautiful! I was under the impression they were using epoxy resin for their units but if they are using stabilized wood they are getting some really bright colors! Very cool!
Arakis_Topdown.jpgDSC05277.jpgDSC05257.jpgDSC06139.jpgDSC05405.jpg
I like the explanation about the stabilized woods vs resin filled wood voids! This new batch looks simply stunning (as do most of the ZMF headphones). When I had the leopard woods I would simply admire them and then start listening and just get sucked into their magic and then after a while take them off and admire the craftsmanship and beauty lol. Still taken aback by yours and the teams work to provide such excellent customer service and amazing products.

May 13, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #6,095 of 12,522
1620946691383.png1620946965295.png1620946651683.png
1620946764653.png1620946851594.png1620947036410.png

1620947095256.png
I don’t know....I think they’ll sell regardless of what color they are. 😉

May 13, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #6,096 of 12,522
I think the Rad-0s just use epoxy resin. I haven't seen any wood grain on them.
I'm sure the headphones are more colorful in real life. They look almost black on my phone's screen but I can see more colors on my desktop monitor.

May 13, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #6,097 of 12,522

Really interesting to hear about the request for darker colors! All of them are gorgeous, but my eyes are always drawn to the brighter ones with distinct colors, or the ones with the coolest contrasts (like the purple/orange constrast of the To the Moon).

May 14, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #6,098 of 12,522
+1 for bright colours. I think the blue and green colour combinations are especially gorgeous and I hope to pick one up at some point in the future. Recently picked up a used Barnyard Cherry Atticus, so I'm getting a taste of the sweet ZMF sound already.

May 14, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #6,099 of 12,522
Really interesting to hear about the request for darker colors! All of them are gorgeous, but my eyes are always drawn to the brighter ones with distinct colors, or the ones with the coolest contrasts (like the purple/orange constrast of the To the Moon).
I mirror that, I find I'm always drawn to the blue and purple designs with interesting contrasts. Whilst darker woods are still beautiful, there's something sublime/fantastical when seeing wood patterns but in bright colours!

May 14, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #6,104 of 12,522
I think the last batch was 4min. People now know that, thus .. 1min!
That is very true! Zach has popped out some real lookers once again with this new stabilized collection. I feel ZMF has gained so much more traction over the last few years and then came the age in which staying inside and working from home was a reality for so many people, and with this age came the want and need for something more then the standard big brand names. I have talked to people who are not into high end audio and they ask me if I have ever heard of a brand called ZMF..............I look them in the eye with a huge grin on my face and nodding my head.

Attachments

• FB8CF853-C6B4-40E6-95C9-9D10FE3AE894.gif
    FB8CF853-C6B4-40E6-95C9-9D10FE3AE894.gif
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
May 14, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #6,105 of 12,522
Controlling my temptation even to make an attempt on this batch - got monkeypod recently and loving it esp after burn in...Yes, need to enjoy music more with a pretty good rig I have but couldnt stop and wonder what diff stabilized would be? Damn....there is no end to this "what-if-its-better" itch! :o2smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back