ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jan 14, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #4,457 of 12,512
Jan 14, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #4,458 of 12,512
Jan 14, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #4,460 of 12,512
I'm torn, do I get these or the stellia. I have no way of trying before buying.

I want maximum resolution, detail and imaging.
I want a recessed sub bass, forward mids and smooth highs

You’ve probably already made a decision, but the Stellias have better resolution and detail. That’s probably due to the pure Beryllium driver, vs. just Beryllium coated (big difference in weight and rigidity). I’ve also read the mids are more forward with the Stellia, but that imaging and smoother highs are a nod to the Verite Closed.
How you drive them will change their sound more than the headphones inherently. The Stellia’s are much easier to drive. So unless you have a powerful amp, the Stellias will almost certainly sound better.
The Stellias are also better made and just look more high end. What that’s worth to you is your call.
You can’t go wrong with either!

Jan 14, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #4,461 of 12,512
Been running this eddy current ZDS #132 with the VC now for about three weeks and just could not be happier. I’m still getting it dialed in with the right tubes and parts. I just swapped out the Alps potentiometer for a Goldpoint stepped attenuator. This amp is truly a work of art both on the outside and the inside. I thought some of you might like to see the inside. I will post a comparison between this and the bottlehead Mainline with the VC in the next couple days.
C4FF2A70-D4B0-41EE-BCB3-E6B885349F46.jpeg

Jan 14, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #4,462 of 12,512
You’ve probably already made a decision, but the Stellias have better resolution and detail. That’s probably due to the pure Beryllium driver, vs. just Beryllium coated (big difference in weight and rigidity). I’ve also read the mids are more forward with the Stellia, but that imaging and smoother highs are a nod to the Verite Closed.
How you drive them will change their sound more than the headphones inherently. The Stellia’s are much easier to drive. So unless you have a powerful amp, the Stellias will almost certainly sound better.
The Stellias are also better made and just look more high end. What that’s worth to you is your call.
Well that's all debatable, and many who have heard or owned both, also including the Utopia have said the Verites are every bit if not more detailed. I've not heard the Stellia or Utopia myself. The Stellia aren't made better, the pads are insanely expensive to replace (for $250 one could get 5 extra ZMF sets), and it's not clear what one does when the headband degrades. Presumably subject to the creaking that the Elex can develop, as mine did. Rods, chassis, pads, headband (including strap and pad) are all extremely easy to replace on ZMFs. To my tastes the Stellia remind me of the 70s, and having lived through them I'm just reminded of the awful brown/orange (cognac/mocha?-please!) design that somehow became trendy.

Do you own or have heard both? "I've also read the mids...." sounds like you've not heard the Stellia or enough to personally know how the mids are, yet some very strong statements about the Stellia from someone with exactly 1 post. Just strikes me as odd, especially since you're replying to a post from 11 months ago.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #4,463 of 12,512
I have( had) both and just sold the Verite C because for my ears the Stellia has a better resolution and personally I prefer the Stellia‘s bass presentation. Had the MonkeyPod version and as much I love a holographic soundstage, the reverb thing( inherently to the MonkeyPod)contributes to the perceived lack of resolution.
Also, the way the Stellia arranges the music in the sound field is more interesting.

Jan 14, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #4,464 of 12,512
An Amp that matches the stellia likely won't be the same amp that matches the verite closed, so it's hard to do direct comparisons because of the driver differences unless you have two systems catered to each headphone.

I think it's been thrown around a lot in various places, and we've experienced it a lot back when we could have headphone shows, but peoples subjective preferences end up ruling which headphone they prefer in these cases.

I do find it odd to make a statement that a handcrafted wood headphone is built better or worse than a fully moulded headphone. I wish discussions regarding comparisons to headphones would more fully acknowledge the subjective aspects of audio and differences in us as humans and how we experience things, than in trying to speak in absolutes.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jan 14, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #4,465 of 12,512
Do you own or have heard both? "I've also read the mids...." sounds like you've not heard the Stellia or enough to personally know how the mids are, yet some very strong statements about the Stellia from someone with exactly 1 post. Just strikes me as odd, especially since you're replying to a post from 11 months ago.
Yeah, so much of that post irked me. I get annoyed when someone who hasn't actually heard a headphone preaches to me about how said headphone sounds. I also get annoyed when people state opinions as facts.

His post is a perfect example of how not to give advice. Fanboyism at it's finest, and easily ignored.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #4,467 of 12,512
I have to say, the VC and VO with my feliks audio elise are my endgame combo. Crappy iPhone pics below. Thank you @zach915m for making such beautiful pieces!
MlvMoQ7.jpg

5SqoJhH.jpg

IjcwbiB.jpg

org6h58.jpg

stOtlmI.jpg

Wow those are really beautiful!!

Jan 14, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #4,469 of 12,512
I have to say, the VC and VO with my feliks audio elise are my endgame combo. Crappy iPhone pics below. Thank you @zach915m for making such beautiful pieces!
That VO is pretty gorgeous too and quite unique. What wood is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back