ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jul 16, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #3,256 of 12,524
Lots of VC going out this week sorry to all who have been waiting. :) :L3000:
@zach915m: Prepare to be bombarded with emails gushing about how great they are. :)
These are every bit as amazing as so many people have said they are, and for me at least it was very gratifying to have that borne out when I listened to them for the first time. Thank you for putting so much time and effort into their design, development, and production.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #3,257 of 12,524
I went through a phase where I leaned slightly towards the VO, but for the last two weeks I've listened to nothing but the VC. It's just so dynamic and versatile. For the last few weeks, I don't think about my equipment at all. I just plug in the VC to the GSX-Mini, listen to whatever pops into my head and enjoy the hell out of it.

It's really nice to have the ability to tune the sound through pad swapping. Randomly I tried the Universe lambskin just for the hell of it, after using my preferred Auteur lambskin pads exclusively over the last 6 months. I enjoyed it a lot more than I did early on. It's a smaller stage, but the sound is very clear and direct, with slightly harder hitting bass. I'm going to end up with entirely too many pads between the two headphones.

Jul 17, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #3,258 of 12,524
I am suffering from Vérité-Closed-withdrawal syndrome.

I think I might just head down to the local store this weekend to have another go at them. This will keep me happy until my unit arrives, I guess.

Jul 17, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #3,259 of 12,524
Well, I got the Ironwood VC today. I only got to listen for about an hour but WOW!!! I tried it with both the RME ADI-2 and the Sony TA-ZH1ES, and I was totally blown away by the sound quality when matched with the RME. I was shocked at the level of detail, clarity, and separation.

I will A/B my dac/amps more over the next 2 days, along with 2 pads I got with the VC and the 4 cables. The VC is so revealing that I could easily hear the difference between the different pads, cables, amps, and source. I'm already happy with one combination. It will be fun trying more combos to see if the sound can be improved even more.

I really didn't think the VC would sound so good with the RME. What a pleasant surprise.

Here's a couple quick pictures. They're just quick iphone pics, but I'll post them anyway. LOL

3048B127-48F8-46CB-8160-5D9A896A600C_1_201_a.jpeg

Well I just wanted to give quick update...

I found a chain I like for now using the gear that I have currenly have.
Ipad Pro (usb-c) --> RME ADI-2 Dac/Amp --> ZMF OFC Cable --> VC IRonwoods with the Auteur Lambskin pads.

That chain provides a good balance of detail soundstage width and height, instrument seperation. With the EQ, I did some bass at 50hz. This has helped most headphones I've used when using the RME. I'm pretty happy with this sound.

Despite this, I did look at external amps. The RME has a very good dac, and a pretty good amp. I think that an external amp with help with the 300ohm VC. I did seriously consider tube amps. Thanks to all that offered suggestions. I chickened out and am getting a SS amp instead (a GSX Mini). I don't want to invest the time to get into tubes and rolling now and the SS amp I chose is much better space-wise. While the SS will probably give up some SQ to the better tube amps, the SS amp should be a nice improvement over the RME. I use the word "should" because the RME and VC are sounding pretty sweet already. But reading here, it sounds like things can get even better,

In the end, I will be getting a GSX Mini next week. I am hopeful that the additional power will open up the VC even more, and the slightly warm signature could be a nice addition.

At this point, the only thing would change or do over with the VC Ironwoods is the weight. The Ironwoods are teaching me to improve my posturing. LOL You can't sit in a slouched position for long... 🤣 In hindsight, the slightly lighter Leopardwoods may have been a slightly better HP for me, but I'm nit-picking here. I'nm really enjoying the VC sound.

Jul 17, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #3,260 of 12,524
Well I just wanted to give quick update...

I found a chain I like for now using the gear that I have currenly have.
Ipad Pro (usb-c) --> RME ADI-2 Dac/Amp --> ZMF OFC Cable --> VC IRonwoods with the Auteur Lambskin pads.

That chain provides a good balance of detail soundstage width and height, instrument seperation. With the EQ, I did some bass at 50hz. This has helped most headphones I've used when using the RME. I'm pretty happy with this sound.

Despite this, I did look at external amps. The RME has a very good dac, and a pretty good amp. I think that an external amp with help with the 300ohm VC. I did seriously consider tube amps. Thanks to all that offered suggestions. I chickened out and am getting a SS amp instead (a GSX Mini). I don't want to invest the time to get into tubes and rolling now and the SS amp I chose is much better space-wise. While the SS will probably give up some SQ to the better tube amps, the SS amp should be a nice improvement over the RME. I use the word "should" because the RME and VC are sounding pretty sweet already. But reading here, it sounds like things can get even better,

In the end, I will be getting a GSX Mini next week. I am hopeful that the additional power will open up the VC even more, and the slightly warm signature could be a nice addition.

At this point, the only thing would change or do over with the VC Ironwoods is the weight. The Ironwoods are teaching me to improve my posturing. LOL You can't sit in a slouched position for long... 🤣 In hindsight, the slightly lighter Leopardwoods may have been a slightly better HP for me, but I'm nit-picking here. I'nm really enjoying the VC sound.
I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying the Vérité Closed! Sorry about your neck, though! :joy:

Jul 17, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #3,261 of 12,524
Sitting listening to music and getting a workout... double win! :D

Jul 17, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #3,262 of 12,524
I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying the Vérité Closed! Sorry about your neck, though! :joy:
Sitting listening to music and getting a workout... double win! :D
1595027383751.png

LOL, ok its not that bad guys...

Jul 17, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #3,263 of 12,524
Jul 17, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #3,264 of 12,524
If you haven’t played with the headband you might try watching Zach’s video on that. I had an Atticus pair that was 50g less than my Auteur, But yet felt heavier and less comfortable.

Jul 18, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #3,265 of 12,524
Happy weekend everyone. Whilst I am pondering the Euforia tube amp, does anyone have other suggestions for units I should demo? They would have to be EU friendly options.

Jul 18, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #3,266 of 12,524
This is how I headbang with the VC these days. Problem solved.R0KE62.jpg

I can relate to this position at times....I usually wake up and change albums and then the cycle begins again :smile:

Jul 18, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #3,267 of 12,524
Happy weekend everyone. Whilst I am pondering the Euforia tube amp, does anyone have other suggestions for units I should demo? They would have to be EU friendly options.
Auris HA2 SE is a bit less expensive than the Euforia and it should be readily available in the EU.

Jul 18, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #3,268 of 12,524
The Cayin HA 6A tube amp might also be worth checking out in that price range. I don’t know how readily available Cayin products are in your area but they seem to have a worldwide distribution network.

Jul 18, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #3,269 of 12,524
Jul 18, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #3,270 of 12,524

Users who are viewing this thread

Back