ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jul 6, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #3,136 of 12,524
Sucks how people like that ruin our future interactions with people. The greedy ruin it for people with actual morals.
Todd from TTVJ who runs a fantastic loaner program has had a few pieces of gear stolen during said tours. He now has tightened up the requirements to take part in the tours.

Jul 6, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #3,137 of 12,524
Looks like the thread you linked to is now gone.
Probably deleted by an admin. Although, I think it should have been preserved to serve as a warning cum lesson for future traders and buyers. There were a few red flags in that sale.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #3,138 of 12,524
Same!

Not to speak for the good Professor, but I think his point is merely "Be afraid...be very afraid". A lot of risks involvedand can go very wrong.
Yes. That's a better way to put it.

There is a reason I insist on using services like PayPal invoices when selling things. I have more than a complete strangers' word that things will go ok.

The only way I can even imagine doing a swap would be some kind of setup where they buy my headphone, and I buy theirs, through separate invoices using a system like PayPal. If they don't ship, I get a refund and also get to keep the money for the headphone they bought from me. Still, too convoluted to even make me want to mess with it.

Jul 6, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #3,139 of 12,524
Scam artists are a real concern on this forum,especially around the holidays. Myself and a few other members were scammed by the same dude a few years back.
Scammer responded to my WTB ad for an HE-6 which was to be my Christmas present from my wife. Instead of an HE-6 he mailed a cheap set of IEMs to a different address on my street. Fortunately I know my mail person well and we were able to track the package down and grab a photo of it before it was returned to sender and determined that there was absolutely no way an HE-6 would fit into a small envelope.

Fortunately I was able to get my cash back from Paypal about a month after. Crazy thing is the scammer actually had a few positive transactions here. He would sell inexpensive IEMs legit,get positive feedback established and then go in for the big $ item kills. Scum bag.

Now I only buy/sell/trade with members Ive interacted with and clearly state in all of my ads that I reserve the right to pick and choose with whom I deal with.
Wow, that's absolutely stunning. The guy did seem to ship the pair of HP-3s to the person I cited on reddit. I guess that was his low-end approach before he went with something real deal like the ZMF.

Jul 6, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #3,140 of 12,524
Jul 6, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #3,142 of 12,524
I had a similar experience when someone (can't remember his user id and the pm is gone) tried to scam me by trading "his" Klipsch HP3. He did ask other members too, using some stolen pics from the net. Was a big story here on headfi. Fortunately for me I had a bad premonition as the deal was "too good to be true"...
With estabilished members, trading has been a pleasure on the other hand :)

Jul 6, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #3,144 of 12,524
The only way I can even imagine doing a swap would be some kind of setup where they buy my headphone, and I buy theirs, through separate invoices using a system like PayPal.
That's how I did it yes. You do get skittish about who pulls the trigger 1st...screenshots are helpful. The other participant got the better end of the deal, at least monetarily so I imagine he was more nervous than I (my Hugo 1 for his Gungnir D/S).

Jul 6, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #3,145 of 12,524
Thanks for the information and warnings.

I became aware of this last night. It could be a big scam although this seller has a good trading history on Reddit. The other potential victim and I, are working with the seller (potential scammer). So far he is saying the right things. I hope he makes things right and does this immediately. I would prefer to be enjoying the music and helping clean up his reputation on the audio boards.

In short, he should have packages in the mail today, and in our hands by Wednesday. Otherwise I will be getting the authorities involved. If he has been acting in good faith, there is no reason that both headphones aren't delivered by Wednesday.
It's sad and utterly infuriating to see people doing this in our (comparatively) small community of like-minded people. It leaves a really bad aftertaste on the idea of trading on the used market.

@darmccombs I hope this issue is resolved amicably. Out of curiosity, what did you use to trade for the Vérité Closed?
Looks like the thread you linked to is now gone.
Looks like deleted all content and posts from @ninjashark121 as his profile has no content. Banned?
FWIW Google cached the initial post, in case anyone is curious..

https://webcache.googleusercontent....36716/post-15721732+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
Well unfortunately, ninjashark121 hasn't made this right yet. He didn't ship me the Verite headphones today, so I asked for my Paypal payment back. He agreed to refund my paypal payment right away.

When I didnt get a refund an hour later, I contacted him and he said that he said that he tried, but he didnt get a paypal confirmation. I asked him to re-try and I even sent him a paypal payment request. Several hours have passed and no response or refund. It's now 10:30pm in his timezone.

I guess at this point I have to involve the authorities tomorrow morning, and send them all the information that people from here and reddit have been sending me. I hate to have to do this, but I've given him every chance to make this right, and he hasn't. I would much rather be here telling you that he stepped up and made things right.

Jul 6, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #3,146 of 12,524
Well unfortunately, ninjashark121 hasn't made this right yet. He didn't ship me the Verite headphones today, so I asked for my Paypal payment back. He agreed to refund my paypal payment right away.

When I didnt get a refund an hour later, I contacted him and he said that he said that he tried, but he didnt get a paypal confirmation. I asked him to re-try and I even sent him a paypal payment request. Several hours have passed and no response or refund. It's now 10:30pm in his timezone.

I guess at this point I have to involve the authorities tomorrow morning, and send them all the information that people from here and reddit have been sending me. I hate to have to do this, but I've given him every chance to make this right, and he hasn't. I would much rather be here telling you that he stepped up and made things right.
Sad to hear about this. I've been looking for a set of ZMF Verite closed backs lately and can imagine your disappointment.

FWIW, I have done several successful trades on here but I do try to vet the other party as much as possible first.

Jul 6, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #3,147 of 12,524

Did you pay him using "Friends and Family"?

Jul 6, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #3,149 of 12,524

Really sorry to hear about all your troubles with this. Gives fair traders a bad name. Hope it all works out.

Jul 6, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #3,150 of 12,524

He's a scammer 100% man, just do what you need to do to recover your funds.

I messaged him and he basically just made light of you saying "authorities."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back