ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jul 3, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #3,076 of 12,524
@zach915m can no doubt answer this better than myself, but I'm sure adding magnets to the earpads would raise their price and possibly limit the amount of overall pad types made available. It would also prohibit people from buying ZMF pads for other headphones, which is most likely a nice chunk of ZMF's business.

I've had a lot of practice swapping pads with ZMF's over the years, and certain pads can be a little tighter than others. I actually timed myself the other day and got a set on my Vertie Open's in 30 seconds. I may however be an outlier... :wink:

Jul 3, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #3,077 of 12,524
@zach915m can no doubt answer this better than myself, but I'm sure adding magnets to the earpads would raise their price and possibly limit the amount of overall pad types made available. It would also prohibit people from buying ZMF pads for other headphones, which is most likely a nice chunk of ZMF's business.

I've had a lot of practice swapping pads with ZMF's over the years, and certain pads can be a little tighter than others. I actually timed myself the other day and got a set on my Vertie Open's in 30 seconds. I may however be an outlier... :wink:

I would totally agree that changing pads on our headphones takes a little dexterity, but if you practice a little bit, and make sure to turn the pads inside out, it will get easier every time for sure.

The main Reason we don't use magnets, is that using magnets becomes part of the acoustic system, and let's more air out the front element, then if you have pads that have been worn more or less, they are more likely to change the airflow, and hence sound of the headphone. By using spandex leather as the attachment ring, regardless of how much use the attachment is tight, which makes for a more stable airflow and sound.

I'm sure there might be a way to get really stable sealed airflow from a magnet system, like utilizing a weaker magnet all the way around, but obviously we haven't implemented it yet and don't have plans to.

I promise though if you practice turning the pads inside out and putting them on and off you'll get better at it!

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 3, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #3,078 of 12,524
I've been burning in my VC around the clock since last Saturday when they arrived. I have close to 150hrs on them and I think they're considerably better than they were at 75-100hrs. I just got done listening to some classic rock with them and VC's are really engaging. In the last 3 weeks, I bought a brand new Susvara and the VC and I'm incredibly happy with both of them. The soundstage has really opened up and the highs have smoothened out and have become very resolving. Timbre and tonality are like all ZMFs, spot on. Listening to my VC through my Luxman P700u and Auris Nirvana. Through the Luxman the VC sounds good, but through the Nirvana.... well it's like a state of Nirvana. :L3000:

Jul 3, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #3,079 of 12,524
I've been burning in my VC around the clock since last Saturday when they arrived. I have close to 150hrs on them and I think they're considerably better than they were at 75-100hrs. I just got done listening to some classic rock with them and VC's are really engaging. In the last 3 weeks, I bought a brand new Susvara and the VC and I'm incredibly happy with both of them. The soundstage has really opened up and the highs have smoothened out and have become very resolving. Timbre and tonality are like all ZMFs, spot on. Listening to my VC through my Luxman P700u and Auris Nirvana. Through the Luxman the VC sounds good, but through the Nirvana.... well it's like a state of Nirvana. :L3000:

You should listen with your Nirvana, to Nirvana, in Nirvana.

Jul 3, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #3,080 of 12,524
I would totally agree that changing pads on our headphones takes a little dexterity, but if you practice a little bit, and make sure to turn the pads inside out, it will get easier every time for sure.

The main Reason we don't use magnets, is that using magnets becomes part of the acoustic system, and let's more air out the front element, then if you have pads that have been worn more or less, they are more likely to change the airflow, and hence sound of the headphone. By using spandex leather as the attachment ring, regardless of how much use the attachment is tight, which makes for a more stable airflow and sound.

I'm sure there might be a way to get really stable sealed airflow from a magnet system, like utilizing a weaker magnet all the way around, but obviously we haven't implemented it yet and don't have plans to.

I promise though if you practice turning the pads inside out and putting them on and off you'll get better at it!

Also it's funny you recommend the inside out technique. I've never done that. Instead I use the catch and twist method. Hook one side of the pad on and then rotate and twist. Sometimes it seems like they just jump right on!

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #3,081 of 12,524
Jul 3, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #3,082 of 12,524
I also ordered a VC a couple of weeks ago and will be primarily listening to EDM too (bass/future house, dubstep, trap, trance, vocal/hard/trance, hardstyle, techno), as well as some classical and slow piano jazz. I originally wanted to order the Fostex TH-X00 Ebony, but it remains hard to find. I thought about ordering the TH900 Mk2, but I'm treble sensitive and wasn't sure if it'll be too bright. I have too many Sony products, so I didn't go for the MDR-Z1R and wanted to try something new. But yea I can't wait to see how the VCs will sound for EDM. Heck maybe I should just get both the Mk2 and z1r after
Well, the treble presentation on the TH900 Mk2 can be too bright or strident for some; for me, it's at the tip of the tolerance scale. Thankfully, it sounds neither shrill nor sibilant to my ears. Rather, it is an altogether engaging and dynamic headphone. The MDR-Z1R on the other hand loses some of the treble energy for a more lush and liquid sound. You still have that sizeable mid-bass hump, and a distinct "v" in its overall signature. Both of these headphones were my immediate "to-go" cans for dance music.

With that said, the Vérité Closed sounds awesome for dance tracks, too, thanks in part to its sparkling and clear treble, and a modest, but textured lower register which adds a lot of rumble and slam. As I listen to a lot of dance music (approximately 70% of my music collection), I am constantly looking for a headphone that best suits my needs. I have tried almost every single top-tier closed-back on the market, and after a search that lasted 6 months, and a multitude of headphones, from the budget level to the summit, the VC, the Z1R, and the TH900 Mk2 are the absolute best in the business for EDM, IMO.

In any case, I am sure you will enjoy the VC. They really brought a smile to my face yesterday.

Jul 3, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #3,083 of 12,524
Yeah, the magnet system is sooooo much better. I'm not sure why they didn't include that system in these headphones. :thinking:
Honestly, it beats Audeze's system of changing pads. It pretty much goes like this - "Let's destroy the pad to change the pad".

Jul 3, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #3,085 of 12,524
Is it true that there is war going on between Stellia users and Verite Closed folks? I would love to know the highlights before picking a side.
Not that I've heard of one, but why is there even a need to pick a side?

Just get both. :smirk:

In all honesty, it depends on your sonic preferences. The Stellia is the warmer of the 2, with a larger bass presentation. They have a full-bodied sound, with great, lush mids. This is where its list of advantages end, however.

The Vérité Closed, on the other hand, trumps the Stellia in almost every technical aspect. It does this without sacrificing its engaging and mellifluous character.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #3,086 of 12,524
Not that I've heard of one, but why is there even a need to pick a side?

Just get both. :smirk:

In all honesty, it depends on your sonic preferences. The Stellia is the warmer of the 2, with a larger bass presentation. They have a full-bodied sound, with great, lush mids. This is where its list of advantages end, however.

The Vérité Closed, on the other hand, trumps the Stellia in almost every technical aspect. It does this without sacrificing its engaging and mellifluous character.

Thank you. I am a bit underwhelmed by Stellia when I moved to it from Clear. Wondering if I should've picked Verite Closed, instead. More comparisons welcome...

Jul 4, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #3,087 of 12,524
Had a chance to visit the awesome peeps at Zeppelin & Co. in Singapore today, as well as try out their copy of the VC driven by my Chord Mojo. They are the most open-sounding closed headphones I've ever heard. Can't wait to get my hands on mine now, and push them with my collection of amps at home. Also feel like throwing all my other cans in the trash now... my ears have been spoiled!

Jul 4, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #3,088 of 12,524
Do you have any public playlists? Would love to hear some fellow VC owner approved tunes 😉
In recent months I have posted here sometimes. Always up-to-date "what I am listening to" via last.fm.

Dynamic range/loudness wars is an issue. Much electronic music is compressed and jammed-up/crowded sounding. I tend to listen to more relaxed electronic in the very recent past, largely to find spaciousness/ non-crowdedness.

Here is a tidal playlist of a variety of electronic music that I think is well produced. I tried to go a bit broad because who knows what other people like. That said, there is probably a bias to more mellow music at the moment. Via Soundiiz, here is a Spotify version of the same list.

For the impatient, here is the 1st one on my list:

To keep it the VC thread-ness, here is my setup this morning. This picture always looks the same, only the tubes may change...

20200704_091057.jpg

Jul 4, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #3,089 of 12,524
You should listen with your Nirvana, to Nirvana, in Nirvana.
I think I’ve seen Zeos do this and it did indeed look super easy. The grooves of my Aeolus were too rough to do this though, feels like it would damage the latex if I were to move them around too much once in. My Verité is much smoother like it’s been sanded down more.

Jul 4, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #3,090 of 12,524
In recent months I have posted here sometimes. Always up-to-date "what I am listening to" via last.fm.

Dynamic range/loudness wars is an issue. Much electronic music is compressed and jammed-up/crowded sounding. I tend to listen to more relaxed electronic in the very recent past, largely to find spaciousness/ non-crowdedness.

Here is a tidal playlist of a variety of electronic music that I think is well produced. I tried to go a bit broad because who knows what other people like. That said, there is probably a bias to more mellow music at the moment. Via Soundiiz, here is a Spotify version of the same list.

For the impatient, here is the 1st one on my list:

To keep it the VC thread-ness, here is my setup this morning. This picture always looks the same, only the tubes may change...

Amazing, thanks for sharing! I have a big project I’m tackling this weekend so will use this week to fuel me through it. I’ll have to work on a curated playlist of sorts to throw up. I’ve been extremely lazy with my Spotify - time to sort those scattered likes!

EDIT: Really need to explore this forum more, didn't even know of that thread!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back