ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Feb 14, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #2,176 of 12,522
Interesting. I have read that GS-X mk2 sounds similar to the GLM2,which I used to own and sold it cuz it sounded too sterile for me. What am I missing here?

Time to put my devil outfit back on...

I listen to a lot of psybient,as well as metal,folk,classic rock,blues...you name it(except jazz ,opera and classical) and IMO the VC slays them all easily.
If you havent yet,watch my review I did,located on the first page of this thread.
Total hearsay, so grain of salt & all that, but I have read that the GS-X mk2 is warmer & richer...somwhat of a departure from the OG Gilmore. I never heard the OG, but the GS-X was everywhere at CanJam last year and didn't sound bad at all to my ears (short demos, show conditions etc. so...more salt)...I'm sure you can find it when you go this year, Headamp is one of the exhibitors.
(Maybe see you there if you're in on Sunday)

Feb 15, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #2,177 of 12,522
Hey guys!
I just wanna share my concern and get a little bit of advice.
I'm worried for my little friend here:

IMG_20200215_140211.jpg

Since when he received the vcs, he just spends his entire afternoons rocking out Tom Petty and John Hiatt...I mean, he stopped eating his beloved fried bamboo! And his mum now suspects he's even starting to skip school...
What shall we do?

(yes, this is what happens when you're home with the flu and you don't have an amp for your headphones...)

Feb 15, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #2,178 of 12,522
Hey guys!
I just wanna share my concern and get a little bit of advice.
I'm worried for my little friend here:

IMG_20200215_140211.jpg

Since when he received the vcs, he just spends his entire afternoons rocking out Tom Petty and John Hiatt...I mean, he stopped eating his beloved fried bamboo! And his mum now suspects he's even starting to skip school...
What shall we do?

(yes, this is what happens when you're home with the flu and you don't have an amp for your headphones...)
Good news is his addiction would be worse if the VC was actually on his ears.

Feb 15, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #2,180 of 12,522
Interesting. I have read that GS-X mk2 sounds similar to the GLM2,which I used to own and sold it cuz it sounded too sterile for me. What am I missing here?

I have never heard GLM2 amp , but if I am understanding you correctly, you are saying sterile...so uninvolving, or lifeless ?

I find it to be anything but a bright sound that I hear many people describe...my gear is all intentionally gear to the side of warm so maybe that matters maybe not.

To my ears it is a much detailed sound and is a pretty neutral sound and transparent as heck, fell like I am listening to dac and headphones and the music
I am not much of a sound chart and measurement person... but my ears tell it is more neutral compared to my other amps , so I am going with that :)
The longer I have it the more I appreciate it. It kills it with planars or high impedance cans and has three gain settings which is a great option as is the pre-amp.
At times I run the GS-X mk2 as a pre-amp into the GEL3N in one tube mode pretty good stuff with a touch of both sounds and clean as can be.
Has it's own power supply unit and both pieces of the amp is light as a feather. This makes this super easy to move around. Sounds best running balanced to my ears

I could understand in a way how some may call it boring or even lifeless, because it does not color the sound.
I am a plus bass fan if it does not go way over the top, and this amp provides great slam and punch when it is in the music, I do not feal it not enough or not textured enough.
I prefer the texture and bass of tubes overall more. I also use mainly my planars with the amp, but it is great with Atticus too.
I am still hoping for another planar from Zach would love to hear them from the GS-X mk2.
From what I hear the mini is getting some really positive reviews and if I did not already have a SS amp, I would be interested.
It is nice to have both tubes and SS...both have their place and choices are nice to have.

I guess I wrote all of this but still can't tell you what you are missing :smile:
When you hear really nice tube sound, it can sound more engaging.
Sorry to throw this thread off track.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #2,181 of 12,522
Quoting @whirlwind just to keep it more off track :wink: although ultimately it all ties in with our enjoyment with Verite and ZMF headphones.
'It is nice to have both tubes and SS...both have their place and choices are nice to have.'

Couldn't agree more with that statement. I once thought that I was a 100% tube amp person but that has changed now with the arrival of Oblivion. I get a lot of satisfaction with that amp and the Studio Six with my Verite. It has stopped the amp upgrade urge for a while.

The GS-X mk2 should be a nice amp. Hope to hear it one day. It's all about the system chain synergy and of course one's individual preference.

Feb 16, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #2,182 of 12,522
OK you guys were right. I heard the VC at CanJam and loved them. More immediate sound, better focused imaging, better extension at the upper mids and bass than the VO. You do loose a bit on the soundstage width and perhaps depth, but I do like the more focused sound. Oh and they shut out most of the ambient CanJam noise too. I also listened to the Stellia right after. The VC gave me a better overall experience and sounded more natural too. Zach also has some amazing finishes coming up. Gotta get me a pair.

Feb 16, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #2,183 of 12,522
OK you guys were right. I heard the VC at CanJam and loved them. More immediate sound, better focused imaging, better extension at the upper mids and bass than the VO. You do loose a bit on the soundstage width and perhaps depth, but I do like the more focused sound. Oh and they shut out most of the ambient CanJam noise too. I also listened to the Stellia right after. The VC gave me a better overall experience and sounded more natural too. Zach also has some amazing finishes coming up. Gotta get me a pair.
You pretty much just condensed my video review into a couple sentences! :beerchug:

Feb 16, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #2,185 of 12,522
Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #2,186 of 12,522
How do these VCs compare to the stellia in terms of clarity, detail and imaging? I'm looking for a light bass, mid forward, non harsh treble.
I listen to techno, electro that requires really good detail retrieval with imagining and separation as there is a lot of data going on

Feb 17, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #2,187 of 12,522
Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #2,188 of 12,522
Well just got some bad medical news, nothing life-threatening, but painful. The contract I picked up required a lot of hoofing it, developed severe pain in my right hip, just was diagnosed with avascular necrosis (lack of blood flow resulting in dead bone). So, the bad news is I'm going to need hip replacement and rebuild, the good news, I'll have lots of time to listen to the VC, VO, and my new KR300b tubes! Plus, I can finally finish my review of the VC, in comparison to the VO and Aeolus!

On a happier note, listening to the hi-res version of the Grateful Dead’s ”July 1978, Complete Recordings” on Qobuz, holy moly! I attended a couple of their concerns in ’78 and this is the closest I've come to wanting to do the ”Dead dance, ” in many, many years!

Feb 17, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #2,189 of 12,522
You literally just took the words out of my head! I was saving up for the Pendant to pair with my Aeolus, but now I am thinking about going for the VC instead, and just using the amps I have.

Wes, these are the best headphones available, the hype is real!

Feb 17, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #2,190 of 12,522
Stabilized wood?!?
Hmm...I may or may not have helped plant the seed for that creation,but I dont recall. :)

Probably not before me, but you know whatev's... :wink:

Just glad it finally happened and I'll be getting a pair!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back