ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Dec 16, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #1,831 of 12,522
After 200 hours of break-in, the combo SP1000Amp + ZMF Verite Closed get better abd better. Adicted !

Tomorow I wil be able to compare to AK2000 + ZMF, but I doubt the AK2000 alone will drive the ZMF better than the AK1000 + SP1000 AMP.

Dec 16, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #1,832 of 12,522
So, an unforseen consequence of owning the VC is that I am now seriously considering scaling down the collection to just the VC and an open back ZMF.
For the longest time I have wanted to get a Ziricote Aeolus. But first I wanted to check with you guys, which ZMF open back do you like as a complement to your VC?

Dec 16, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #1,833 of 12,522
So, an unforseen consequence of owning the VC is that I am now seriously considering scaling down the collection to just the VC and an open back ZMF.
For the longest time I have wanted to get a Ziricote Aeolus. But first I wanted to check with you guys, which ZMF open back do you like as a complement to your VC?

I am considering going a step further and just keeping the VC as my only over ear...

Dec 16, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #1,834 of 12,522
I currently have the VC, Auteur, and Atticus, which sounds very very similar to the Aeolus. If i had to give one up, it would be the Auteur, since it's so similar to the VC. The Atticus/Aeolus is more different, and a good complimentary set to the VC.

Dec 16, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #1,835 of 12,522
I am considering going a step further and just keeping the VC as my only over ear...
i was also thinking that, but after spending a few hours this weekend with my Atticus, i know i couldn't do it. Hell, i was hoping i could give up the Auteur to fund a better amp for the VC, but i don't know if i could give that one up either. such is the life of an addict...

Dec 16, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #1,837 of 12,522

Why an open back, though? The case for needing a closed back headphone when your open back one is the "good" one is easy to see -- even if the sound is worse, sometimes you need the isolation.

But if you have the "good" sound and the isolation, is there really a circumstance where an open headphone is needed at all?

Dec 16, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #1,838 of 12,522
I currently have the VC, Auteur, and Atticus, which sounds very very similar to the Aeolus. If i had to give one up, it would be the Auteur, since it's so similar to the VC. The Atticus/Aeolus is more different, and a good complimentary set to the VC.
I agree on the VC/Auteur sounding similar.
I went VO/VC. Done.

Dec 16, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #1,839 of 12,522
Why an open back, though? The case for needing a closed back headphone when your open back one is the "good" one is easy to see -- even if the sound is worse, sometimes you need the isolation.

But if you have the "good" sound and the isolation, is there really a circumstance where an open headphone is needed at all?

I like to keep one set upstairs in the home office and one set in the living room. So it would be for practical reasons and because I enjoy the variation. But you are right imo that the VC have the advantage of both good sound and isolation.

Dec 16, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #1,840 of 12,522
The current Aeolus limited edition wood in Camphor Burl looks absolutely stunning...also there's still a Pheasantwood VO available from ZMF's November sale, with some beautiful wood grain. Someone buy these so I can stop being tempted!

Dec 16, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #1,841 of 12,522
If you need something to go.with VC then I would suggest HD800s or Utopia. Different sound signature and presentation as that of VC

Dec 16, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #1,842 of 12,522
I sold off most of my stuff in order to purchase the Verite Open, and I can't say I miss anything from the past. VO's got me satisfied. I do have VC coming in case I can appreciate its sound as much (or even more) than VO, as a closed back would be more ideal for my wife and I as my listening setup is in the living room.
It will be really hard to part with my beautiful Cocobolo Verite, but I'm not in the market for both VO and VC. Either way I see myself completely content with one or the other as my only over-ear solution.
I'll be excited for CanJam 2020 to listen to some other TOTL headphones again after owning Verite for 6+ months at that point, to revisit my appreciation for Verite over everything else I've heard previously. But I kinda expect to stay on the Verite.

Dec 16, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #1,843 of 12,522

If you're like me, you may miss the detail of the verites when you go to the Aeolus. I actually just sold my Aeolus (shipped today in fact) as I often wondered how a particular song would sound on the Verite when I was using the Aeolus. Totally subjective, of course, but the slight lack of detail (esp treble detail) and less dramatic staging from the Aeolus left me a bit cold after hearing the verites. Basically, I couldn't unhear the Verites when listening to the Aeolus, despite the fact that the Aeolus was the first ZMF dynamic I owned and loved (and it wound up being a gateway drug, dammit!!!)

Dec 16, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #1,844 of 12,522
If you need something to go.with VC then I would suggest HD800s or Utopia. Different sound signature and presentation as that of VC

I've been thinking about doing this exact thing actually... I sold my Verité after picking up the VC, mostly because the sound signatures were so similar. I think I'd like to eventually settle on one open-backed headphone as an alternative to the VC. The HD800s or Utopia seem like great options for a completely different sound presentation, but I'm a little torn because I enjoy the ZMF sound so much.

Dec 16, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #1,845 of 12,522
If you're like me, you may miss the detail of the verites when you go to the Aeolus. I actually just sold my Aeolus (shipped today in fact) as I often wondered how a particular song would sound on the Verite when I was using the Aeolus. Totally subjective, of course, but the slight lack of detail (esp treble detail) and less dramatic staging from the Aeolus left me a bit cold after hearing the verites. Basically, I couldn't unhear the Verites when listening to the Aeolus, despite the fact that the Aeolus was the first ZMF dynamic I owned and loved (and it wound up being a gateway drug, dammit!!!)
I can totally understand this, although for me and the right pads on the Aeolus(Verite or Universe suede pads), the difference was less than I thought. The Aeolus is smoother indeed, and the Verite edges out the treble detail for sure it wasn't a monumental difference IMO. Could be lots of things accounting for that opinion (including my aging ears) so of course YMMV (and I guess it did). Heck as long as these work for you, rock on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back