ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Dec 2, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #1,666 of 12,513
You're welcome. I'm also on the hunt for a solid pair of planar magnetic cans (Open or Closed) and the only things on my shortlist are the Abyss Phi-1266 TC, Final Audio D8000 Pro, Diana V2 (maybe) but comfort seems to be an issue with the first two and I don't dig the design of the 1266 TC. Susvara would be a contender if HiFiMan took build quality more seriously but for now I stay away from them because of the overall poor build quality on most of their products.
i hear you on HiFiMan, they frustrate me to no end. i generally like their sound, but refuse to deal with the shoddy QC. it's like they stopped caring, very sad. i've heard many of the Abyss models, but find them a bit too aggressive for me. i forgot about the D8000 though, thank you! knowing my luck, the minute i buy a planar, Zach will announce a ground up design new planar model.....

on a side note, gotta love that feeling when your VC was supposed to be delivered on tomorrow/Tuesday, but I just got the notice they are available to be picked up now! :) debating how to fake my way out of work right now, a stomach ache.....? ........headache.......? decisions decisions.....

Dec 2, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #1,667 of 12,513
i hear you on HiFiMan, they frustrate me to no end. i generally like their sound, but refuse to deal with the shoddy QC. it's like they stopped caring, very sad. i've heard many of the Abyss models, but find them a bit too aggressive for me. i forgot about the D8000 though, thank you! knowing my luck, the minute i buy a planar, Zach will announce a ground up design new planar model.....

on a side note, gotta love that feeling when your VC was supposed to be delivered on tomorrow/Tuesday, but I just got the notice they are available to be picked up now! :) debating how to fake my way out of work right now, a stomach ache.....? ........headache.......? decisions decisions.....
Yeah you don't look so good man...I hope it's not contagious. You should probably go. I mean so no one else catches it of course.

Dec 2, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #1,668 of 12,513
You're welcome. I'm also on the hunt for a solid pair of planar magnetic cans (Open or Closed) and the only things on my shortlist are the Abyss Phi-1266 TC, Final Audio D8000 Pro, Diana V2 (maybe) but comfort seems to be an issue with the first two and I don't dig the design of the 1266 TC. Susvara would be a contender if HiFiMan took build quality more seriously but for now I stay away from them because of the overall poor build quality on most of their products.
The Diana v2 doesn’t have the planar slam that I’m use to with the Empyrean or 1266 phi tc. If you're going to buy get them through headphones. com because Abyss charges 20% restocking fee. Though they sound really good. If they had the bass that I need for edm.

Dec 2, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #1,669 of 12,513

Yeah, HiFiMan only after they improve their QC. I haven't heard any of the Abyss stuff, gotta try one of them - That aggressiveness that you mentioned might be appealing. Resolve Reviews did a good review about the D8000 Pro, you might want to check that.

Claim that you're "emotionally drained" for the day and the solution for your problem is at the Post Office - that might not fly. Headache sounds fake, stomach ache sounds serious and people tend to get out of your way so that you can use the toilet at will. LOL

Dec 2, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #1,670 of 12,513
The Diana v2 doesn’t have the planar slam that I’m use to with the Empyrean or 1266 phi tc. If you're going to buy get them through headphones. com because Abyss charges 20% restocking fee. Though they sound really good. If they had the bass that I need for edm.

Thanks for the pro tips! Yeah headphones.com is my go to retailer - 365 days return policy with no questions asked plus amazing customer service are no joke! Not sure why would one buy from anyone or anywhere else.

I sold the Meze Empyrean in less than a month because they didn't do it for me, too mellow, too "diffused" and the clarity didn't seem to be on par with other $3k cans I've heard. How's the comfort on the 1266 TC, realistically? What's the max duration that you can have them on without feeling any discomfort/pain? How do you compare them to the VO? - brief impressions, no need to go too deep.

Thanks again.

Dec 2, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #1,671 of 12,513
Thanks for the pro tips! Yeah headphones.com is my go to retailer - 365 days return policy with no questions asked plus amazing customer service are no joke! Not sure why would one buy from anyone or anywhere else.

I sold the Meze Empyrean in less than a month because they didn't do it for me, too mellow, too "diffused" and the clarity didn't seem to be on par with other $3k cans I've heard. How's the comfort on the 1266 TC, realistically? What's the max duration that you can have them on without feeling any discomfort/pain? How do you compare them to the VO? - brief impressions, no need to go too deep.

Thanks again.
The 1266 sound better it’s the detail they give and super spacious feel to the sound. Longest I’ve had them on was 2 hrs and took them off because it was bed time. I don’t work out so no neck muscles. I’ve never felt any discomfort. It is weird how they rest on top of your head. The pads are suppose to just touch around your ears so no clamping. They need TLC to get the fit right.
my daughter saw me with them on and told me my headphones are weird.

I wish the Diana’s had the bass because that would end up being my favorite can. Lite and comfortable.

Dec 2, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #1,672 of 12,513
The 1266 sound better it’s the detail they give and super spacious feel to the sound. Longest I’ve had them on was 2 hrs and took them off because it was bed time. I don’t work out so no neck muscles. I’ve never felt any discomfort. It is weird how they rest on top of your head. The pads are suppose to just touch around your ears so no clamping. They need TLC to get the fit right.
my daughter saw me with them on and told me my headphones are weird.

I wish the Diana’s had the bass because that would end up being my favorite can. Lite and comfortable.

Thank you! I guess I’ll wait and see if Abyss come up with another iteration of Diana or a middle ground between the 1266 and Diana.
I can’t blame your daughter, they do look weird indeed. For now I’ll keep enjoying the VC.

Dec 2, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #1,673 of 12,513
They sound great on the Pendant. From what I gathered the Pendant doesn’t have the typical warm signature with the stock tubes and the Baldwin(NOS) tubes sound almost identical. In the end I won’t be selling either. It’s great no one to tell me to turn down the volume

I've enjoyed the Verité Closed / Pendant pairing with a number of tube combinations. My favorites have been NOS Amperex and Telefunken for the 12AU7 / 12AT7, with Amperex EL84's.

I used to be a big fan of the Mullard 12AU7, but I find it too warm with the VC.

Your Baldwin tubes are probably from a US manufacturer like RCA or Sylvania. I've heard a few of those in the Pendant and they were very nice as well.

Dec 2, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #1,674 of 12,513
I feel di
I've enjoyed the Verité Closed / Pendant pairing with a number of tube combinations. My favorites have been NOS Amperex and Telefunken for the 12AU7 / 12AT7, with Amperex EL84's.

I used to be a big fan of the Mullard 12AU7, but I find it too warm with the VC.

Your Baldwin tubes are probably from a US manufacturer like RCA or Sylvania. I've heard a few of those in the Pendant and they were very nice as well.
Where did you buy your tubes from?

Dec 2, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #1,675 of 12,513
Where did you buy your tubes from?

I've picked up a few used ones at great prices by watching the Head-Fi and SHF classifieds, but I've found that the best site for purchasing NOS tubes is Brent Jessee's.... www.audiotubes.com

His prices are somewhat expensive but he offers great advice and the tubes I've bought from him have always been excellent. The site is a great resource for information as well.

Dec 2, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #1,676 of 12,513
Yeah, HiFiMan only after they improve their QC. I haven't heard any of the Abyss stuff, gotta try one of them - That aggressiveness that you mentioned might be appealing. Resolve Reviews did a good review about the D8000 Pro, you might want to check that.

Claim that you're "emotionally drained" for the day and the solution for your problem is at the Post Office - that might not fly. Headache sounds fake, stomach ache sounds serious and people tend to get out of your way so that you can use the toilet at will. LOL
One “upset tummy” later....

93867FDF-2CF2-4F11-802E-75F807C35AEC.jpeg

Dec 2, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #1,678 of 12,513
They sound great on the Pendant. From what I gathered the Pendant doesn’t have the typical warm signature with the stock tubes and the Baldwin(NOS) tubes sound almost identical. In the end I won’t be selling either. It’s great no one to tell me to turn down the volume
How are the VC’s out of the GX Mini?

Dec 3, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #1,679 of 12,513

Verititis?

Dec 3, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #1,680 of 12,513

Users who are viewing this thread

Back