ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Nov 17, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #1,561 of 12,522
Nov 17, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #1,563 of 12,522

I have had the Hybrids for 3 days of pretty solid listening. Here are my probably premature thoughts (certainly not "conclusions"):
  • I can't arrange a 'best of' list yet. I need at least a week or 2 with the Hybrids to let my mind settle and appreciate.
  • I think the 3 sets of pads each have differences that change the sound and are not strictly in the form A > B much less A > B > C. On some single abstract dimension, I think they are comparable (i.e.; order them based on mid-emphasis for example).
  • I had a few weeks of swapping from Auteurs (thinking they were "best") then going to the Universe pads and really preferring those - while I was using them! Actually, while using the Auteurs I thought they were my fav/ the best. Then using the Universe, the same...
  • Now I feel the same is true of the Hybrids. I am enjoying them. I can't say any are "best" because of the above...
The only consistent story I have so far is that the VCs sound excellent with any pads. Some pads sound great with some songs and some songs sound better with other pads. Depending on your propensity to want to "roll" and change you listening environment, get more (appropriate) pads! If you want to have a static pad universe, I simply don't think you can go wrong, just different.

As someone else just posted; Zach seems to think Auteur > Universe based on the "default". Recently people have said "good things" about the hybrids as "the best balance between the Auteur and Universe". Perhaps that is true.

Disclaimer; I may change my opinions tomorrow without notice or consideration to past statements :)

Nov 20, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #1,564 of 12,522
Ooh wee! Thread seems a little dead this week, so I thought I'd give it a jump start.

Found a great pairing with the VC. My Cavalli LAu has sadly been sitting around getting no love, so I swapped it in and what a combo. I really think the VC's drivers love the extra juice from a powerful amp.

Nov 20, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #1,566 of 12,522
I'll try to help also!

I moved up 3 spots on the VC list. That's exciting :D

That wait is rough. I'll be hurting after I send these loaners back until I get my own pair. Luckily I have a VO to tide me over. Speaking of which, I was planning on doing a write up comparing the VC and VO. Problem is I can't seem to get the VC's off my head! :L3000:

Nov 20, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #1,567 of 12,522
dupe post

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #1,568 of 12,522
Ive had my nose stuck in a damn iPad for over 100 hours organizing my music library on my Aurender...and still not done.
Listening tonight,and yes,still the best headphone Ive ever heard.:L3000:

Nov 20, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #1,569 of 12,522
Yea the wait for my VO ltd was much harder than waiting for the VC since I already have the VO which I'm 100% loving. Yet, I'm actually expecting to appreciate the VC more than the VO based on what people are saying about its genre pairings, but I also see many people saying if they could only have one it would be the VO.

Nov 21, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #1,570 of 12,522
I'll jump back in, I'll second Monster, absolutely the best headphones I've heard, or in my system. With my music, I prefer the Auteur Pads, and also agree with @heliosphann, the VC’s love power. Listening to the high res version of Bowie's Space Oddity on Qobuz, stunning!

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #1,571 of 12,522
rocking out with my RME ADI-2DAC and my BHC+SB with my VC and some of this to add flavor: https://distiller.com/spirits/plantation-pineapple-stiggins-fancy-rum

I'm in a very happy place right now! Loving these sooo much!

Oh, boy this just came on! I'm listening on Qobuz studio but here is the youtube:https:

Just loving these! now for another pour and some more peruvian potato chips :wink:

Nov 21, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #1,575 of 12,522
You should try the Hybrid Auteur pads if you haven't already. They are a nice compromise with boosted comfort. I can't see me taking them off my VC any time soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back