ZMF Spring Limiteds, CanJam NYC and Estimated Release Schedule for Caldera Closed and BOKEH Open!
May 14, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #406 of 475
I wouldn't say seriously underpowered as a whole, just not powerful enough to run planars. OTLs are voltage machines and drive high impedance dynamics with ease. Planars and their current thirst takes transformers or solid state circuits to adequately power to their full potential. But for those with dynamic driver headphones, power will not be an issue with the Decware.

I do agree the Pendant is an outstanding amp. I've owned both the first and second gen variants and loved them both. I had noise issues which is why I sold them, but from a versatility and sonics standpoint, they're excellent. I've yet to hear the ZMF version of the Decware, but I have heard regular CSP2 and CSP3 models, which the ZMF is based on, and I'd take it over the Pendant easily. And those were the basic models, not Zach's ultra upgraded version. There's a purity of tone with a good OTL that's tough to replicate with SET amps. If only listening to dynamic drivers, I even prefer the basic Woo WA3 OTL to the Pendants. If there's also planars in your lineup then I'd say yeah just run a Pendant and be done with it.
That makes sense on the voltage/current relationship and why the Caldera Open, and some other planars I own, sound so nice to me on the Icon Audio HP8 (transformer-coupled tube amp) vs an OTL. I did put in an order for a CSP3 directly with Decware in early 2022 just before Zach did the collaboration. I'm sticking with the order despite what is looking like a 2.5 year wait :rolling_eyes:. Whew! It's the longest order time I will ever do again but I know it'll be lovely with the ZMF dynamics when it finally arrives.

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #407 of 475
I had upgraded the Pendant with a NOS Telefunken G73-r red label, a NOS Osram U709, and a matching NOS Valvo EL-84 Closed Getters pair. According to headfi that should be pinnacle of Pendant tube rolling. The amp was absolutely amazing and I’d agree it was pushing endgame with that roll in value (cost would put it close to 3k new with these tubes), and in sound. That being said, if all I had was the ZMF 300ohm dynamics I’d pick the stock Decware all day. The Pendant is great and a jack of all trades, it can run any headphone and sound good. However, the Decware does sound better with the headphones it was designed for.
Yep, not disagreeing with you, especially since I've never heard the Decware. My main headphones are planars though and I think you can get pretty close to the top tier u709/g73-R, etc. with a couple hundred dollars worth of tubes instead of $1200 worth of tubes. Not much else with this much power output in this price range with the build quality and looks you can get from the Pendant. Anywho, moving on.

May 14, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #408 of 475
I had upgraded the Pendant with a NOS Telefunken G73-r red label, a NOS Osram U709, and a matching NOS Valvo EL-84 Closed Getters pair. According to headfi that should be pinnacle of Pendant tube rolling. The amp was absolutely amazing and I’d agree it was pushing endgame with that roll in value (cost would put it close to 3k new with these tubes), and in sound. That being said, if all I had was the ZMF 300ohm dynamics I’d pick the stock Decware all day. The Pendant is great and a jack of all trades, it can run any headphone and sound good. However, the Decware does sound better with the headphones it was designed for.
Good to know! That Decware is a real temptation, should I ever have the money to afford one. Then again, I remember when the Pendant seemed way out of my price league, and eventually I wound up getting one for myself. Maybe one day that’ll happen with the Decware too 😏

May 15, 2024 at 11:43 PM Post #409 of 475
So I had a thought tonight and I'd love to get others opinions on this as well.

I was wondering if there would be any interest in a "ZMF Signature Series". The basic idea would be:

1. Extremely rare and valuable woods. Usually with only a few being available instead of hundreds. Like less than 3-5 for each wood type.
2. Resin or stabilized possibilities?
3. Packed with all extra bells and whistles such as all suede, bb straps, bundled with matching resin or stabilized saliere stands, etc. Raw or polished Titanium/magnesium chassis, etc. Rare leather combinations, exotic materials (alligator /ostrich) or textured leathers. (I have no idea, just thinking out loud.)
4. Signed by all involved zmf craftsman on inside pad mount surface.
5. Reserved for zmf owners who already have more than one or two sets. Kind of like how high end Ferrari cars work, where they reach out to you when they are releasing a limited production run. Or a right of refusal agreement with their customers?
6. Updated pricing on any of these to make it worth ZMF's time to do all this.
7. Also, maybe a personalized laser cut grille design for open models? Probably a bit of a reach but it never hurts to ask! 😊

Any thoughts on this anyone? Also, what would make it cooler?

I am in no way affiliated with ZMF headphones, it was just an idea I had to create some truly wild sets that added an extra layer of ownership to the experience.

If it's a dumb idea, let me know that too. 😂 I can take it.

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 12:00 AM Post #410 of 475

I was wondering if there would be any interest in a "ZMF Signature Series". The basic idea would be:

1. Extremely rare and valuable woods. Usually with only a few being available instead of hundreds. Like less than 3-5 for each wood type.
3. Packed with all extra bells and whistles such as all suede, bb straps, bundled with matching resin or stabilized saliere stands, etc. Raw or polished Titanium/magnesium chassis, etc. Rare leather combinations, exotic materials (alligator /ostrich) or textured leathers. (I have no idea, just thinking out loud.)
5. Reserved for zmf owners who already have more than one or two sets. Kind of like how high end Ferrari cars work, where they reach out to you when they are releasing a limited production run. Or a right of refusal agreement with their customers?
7. Also, maybe a personalized laser cut grille design for open models? Probably a bit of a reach but it never hurts to ask! 😊

I am in no way affiliated with ZMF headphones, it was just an idea I had to create some truly wild sets that added an extra layer of ownership to the experience.

This sounds sort of along the lines of what Zach has mentioned the custom shop would be in the future. But yes I would 100% purchase something like this.

May 16, 2024 at 12:02 AM Post #411 of 475

Hey that's Zach's secret buyers club, you guys didn't know about it?... crap I wasn't supposed to mention it..... yeah carry on....

May 16, 2024 at 12:03 AM Post #412 of 475
This sounds sort of along the lines of what Zach has mentioned the custom shop would be in the future. But yes I would 100% purchase something like this.
I know he had mentioned it, but this would be kind of the next level above that. I don't believe the custom shop would offer different chassis options or finishes, exotic materials, etc.

And yes, I would 100% buy as well 😂

Can you imagine a matte titanium, all suede, alligator skin set with rare green tinted wood? Or a purple ostrich set. Or anything along those lines.

May 16, 2024 at 12:08 AM Post #413 of 475
I wouldn’t want to gate keep it though, everyone deserves a chance to enjoy the art pieces that Zach and his team put together.

May 16, 2024 at 12:11 AM Post #414 of 475
I wouldn’t want to gate keep it though, everyone deserves a chance to enjoy the art pieces that Zach and his team put together.
The only reason I was suggesting that is due to the possible extremely limited availability of this type of set, and rarity of materials. Almost as a way of saying thank you to their returning customers. Not to lock people out just for the purposes of doing so.

May 16, 2024 at 12:18 AM Post #415 of 475
The only reason I was suggesting that is due to the possible extremely limited availability of this type of set, and rarity of materials. Almost as a way of saying thank you to their returning customers. Not to lock people out just for the purposes of doing so.
Oh for sure for sure, but it’s a fine line I think. Not sure what the best way of handling it would be. Honestly, having the option for the ZMF team to just let their imaginations go wild and make a surprise pair would be really cool. Kind of letting your favorite tattoo artist use their imagination on part of your sleeve. A chance to just get art from the artist, you have no idea what it’ll look like but it’s made just for you and unique to you.

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 12:33 AM Post #416 of 475
From things I've heard Zach say in replies on different threads regarding integrity in pricing his stuff and his general philosophy and sense of fairness, I don't picture him doing super limited and super expensive runs that only his wealthiest and "best" customers would have access to. His various "Limited" and one-off stabilized items already mostly occupy that niche...

I could be mistaken and putting words in his mouth (figuratively speaking), but I suspect that sort of super exclusivity might rub him the wrong way. And be difficult to pencil out economically for him, unless pricing was pretty astronomical on each item.

But what do I know? :laughing:

May 16, 2024 at 12:34 AM Post #417 of 475
Can you imagine a matte titanium, all suede, alligator skin set with rare green tinted wood? Or a purple ostrich set. Or anything along those lines.
I'd be excited for a gator skin pattern! My home state is FL.
Not a bad idea as long as natural materials and rare woods are attained sustainably and environmentally friendly which I'm sure ZMF is all about.
Another thought would be for commemorative sets sourced from rare wood recovered from storm damage that otherwise would just be wasted or maybe material from historical pieces or building material that could be reused instead of demolished. I remember the sight of hundreds of acres of trees flattened out after the Mt St Helens volcanic eruption. That could make for some interesting Calderas...

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 12:40 AM Post #418 of 475
From things I've heard Zach say in replies on different threads regarding integrity in pricing his stuff and his general philosophy and sense of fairness, I don't picture him doing super limited and super expensive runs that only his wealthiest and "best" customers would have access to. His various "Limited" and one-off stabilized items already mostly occupy that niche...

I could be mistaken and putting words in his mouth (figuratively speaking), but I suspect that sort of super exclusivity might rub him the wrong way. And be difficult to pencil out economically for him, unless pricing was pretty astronomical on each item.

But what do I know? :laughing:
Totally get it, and it's just an idea. I don't think there is anything wrong with special sets like this, as long as there is a market for it. I have heard headphones that cost far more, and sound worse then even the most expensive ZMF's. It wouldn't be to reward the wealthiest, but more to say thanks to repeat customers. Those people would already have the funds to do this, as they probably already have multiple $2-3k sets.

May 16, 2024 at 12:41 AM Post #419 of 475
I'd be excited for a gator skin pattern! My home state is FL.
Not a bad idea as long as natural materials and rare woods are attained sustainably and environmentally friendly which I'm sure ZMF is all about.
Another thought would be for commemorative sets sourced from rare wood recovered from storm damage that otherwise would just be wasted or maybe material from historical pieces or building material that could be reused instead of demolished.
I agree with that as well, since the materials would have even more significance.

May 16, 2024 at 12:45 AM Post #420 of 475
Custom shop possibilities. It’s an interesting idea. In a way every headphone is already a one off because of the uniqueness of wood grain. Some materials might require more of a learning curve than would be reasonable unless it was a fun project. (In general when working with titanium, if you can find something else that works, use it instead.)
I was wondering how inlays might affect the acoustics of cups. There is already a CNC process so it could be as simple as bow ties to stabilize cracks or decorative. Some kintsugi (gold repair) cups to salvage and elevate cups that break in process might be incredible too. But that is also a new skill set. Lots of ideas. Collaborations with other makers and artists to put their spin on a ZMF cup might be neat too. Enameled miniature paintings on cups or, stained glass, or just custom artwork grills. Maybe after Zach finishes Bokeh Open he’ll have some spare time to make some new magic happen. We’ll just have to wait and find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back