ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Dec 11, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #1,816 of 2,619
Ohhh man you were right! The RFT foil getters pairs REALLY well with the Auteur Classic in particular. I like it more than my Telefunken ECC82 smooth plates. It doesn't have as much bass bloom or smoothness, but more impact with just as much soundstage. Tone is no quite on the same level, but pretty close. Really beautifully textured, tight presentation. For a tube that costs $25, that's incredible.
I might have to pull mine out for a listen…..

Dec 11, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #1,817 of 2,619
Hi, just wondering everyone's thoughts on which headphone I should get to complement my Atriums and VC on the original Pendant. I've narrowed my search to the Utopia, LCD-5 and Susvara. Of the 3 I've only heard the Utopia's and that was years ago. I was floored by the resolution, depth characteristics it was presenting and it's airy high frequencies. With that said, I'm more looking for the headphone that will play well with my Pendant/Qutest as I'm sure all 3 of these are outstanding on the right setup. If I could audition all 3 on my setup I would do that, but I'm nowhere close to a location that could provide that.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts!
Why not ZMF Caldera? Cheapest of the 3 and is a fantastic pairing with the Pendant. I agree the Susvara would have issues, as the Caldera, which is relatively easy to power, sounds best on the 8ohm socket, can reach "too loud" but without much extra power left to go higher. I've only heard those 3 recently at CanJam. None did much for me but the Caldera grabbed me from the get go.

Dec 11, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #1,818 of 2,619
Hi, just wondering everyone's thoughts on which headphone I should get to complement my Atriums and VC on the original Pendant. I've narrowed my search to the Utopia, LCD-5 and Susvara. Of the 3 I've only heard the Utopia's and that was years ago. I was floored by the resolution, depth characteristics it was presenting and it's airy high frequencies. With that said, I'm more looking for the headphone that will play well with my Pendant/Qutest as I'm sure all 3 of these are outstanding on the right setup. If I could audition all 3 on my setup I would do that, but I'm nowhere close to a location that could provide that.

Just to muddy the waters a bit further, have you thought of a LCD-4? To me, the tight, impactful sound of the Pendant is an amazing match with the warm and detailed LCD-4. I had the Utopia for a time, and while surprisingly similar to the Audeze in a lot of ways, just thought it was…maybe a bit wimpy? Like everything was a bit distant. I’ve never been able to find the words to describe it. I’ve heard the LCD-5, but not on the Pendant, and it sounded like a more complete Utopia, so it might have the same issue? Maybe not, it’s a great headphone that I might have to pick up soon.

It might just be my ZMF-trained ears (I need THICC everything), but the LCD-4 really comes alive on the Pendant.

Dec 11, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #1,819 of 2,619

The LCD-5 is a great choice (as is the LCD-4). With that being said I still own a solid state amp and prefer my LCD-5 on my V550 Pro. The Pendant SE is a great pairing with the LCD-5 though, it just gets more time overall on my V550 Pro. My VO is exclusively for my Pendant, the LCD-5 can be driven by either and completely changes the overall presentation of the LCD-5 with each.

Dec 11, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #1,820 of 2,619
Dec 11, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #1,821 of 2,619
I might have to pull mine out for a listen…..
@haasaaroni just picked up an early RFT ECC81 foil getter (Erfurt 1950’s) at an insane price. Coming from Bulgaria so it will be a wait, but Europe to East Coast is always quicker than I expect it to be.

Dec 11, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #1,822 of 2,619
@haasaaroni just picked up an early RFT ECC81 foil getter (Erfurt 1950’s) at an insane price. Coming from Bulgaria so it will be a wait, but Europe to East Coast is always quicker than I expect it to be.
Nice! I have an RFT ECC81 (early 60’s) but unfortunately it’s a bit too noisy in my Pendant. It’s got an amazing sound though.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #1,823 of 2,619
Dec 11, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #1,824 of 2,619
This is very tempting…but it’s the most I’ll have ever spent on one tube for the Pendant, and where people report the least audible difference on this amp as well. That’s the only reason I’m a little hesitant.
It’s a major improvement and worth the $200. It’s the last rectifier you’ll buy

Dec 12, 2022 at 6:05 AM Post #1,825 of 2,619
Why not ZMF Caldera? Cheapest of the 3 and is a fantastic pairing with the Pendant. I agree the Susvara would have issues, as the Caldera, which is relatively easy to power, sounds best on the 8ohm socket, can reach "too loud" but without much extra power left to go higher. I've only heard those 3 recently at CanJam. None did much for me but the Caldera grabbed me from the get go.
I kinda forgot to throw the ZMF in there! Though, when I do purchase I've been looking at used sets and the Utopia and LCD-5 squeak in a little cheaper. I'm sure at some point I'll end up with the Caldera but I figured I'd try something a little different in tuning than the ZMF's!

Dec 12, 2022 at 6:14 AM Post #1,826 of 2,619
Just to muddy the waters a bit further, have you thought of a LCD-4? To me, the tight, impactful sound of the Pendant is an amazing match with the warm and detailed LCD-4. I had the Utopia for a time, and while surprisingly similar to the Audeze in a lot of ways, just thought it was…maybe a bit wimpy? Like everything was a bit distant. I’ve never been able to find the words to describe it. I’ve heard the LCD-5, but not on the Pendant, and it sounded like a more complete Utopia, so it might have the same issue? Maybe not, it’s a great headphone that I might have to pick up soon.

It might just be my ZMF-trained ears (I need THICC everything), but the LCD-4 really comes alive on the Pendant.
I've had someone recommend the LCD-4 to me actually. I am just a bit hesitant about the weight of them. I'd be willing to consider them as I'm sure I could sell them for close to what I bought them for if they were too heavy for me. I'm actually really curious about the Utopia tuning as it's been years since I heard them for the first time and I've had ZMF's for a couple years and used to that tuning. I loved the VC but I can't take the Atriums off my head. I love the lush tuning and soundstage of these. I just thought it would be fun to have a headphone with a higher level of detail and imaging to my collection and with a contrasting tuning to the ZMF's.

Dec 12, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #1,827 of 2,619
I've had someone recommend the LCD-4 to me actually. I am just a bit hesitant about the weight of them. I'd be willing to consider them as I'm sure I could sell them for close to what I bought them for if they were too heavy for me. I'm actually really curious about the Utopia tuning as it's been years since I heard them for the first time and I've had ZMF's for a couple years and used to that tuning. I loved the VC but I can't take the Atriums off my head. I love the lush tuning and soundstage of these. I just thought it would be fun to have a headphone with a higher level of detail and imaging to my collection and with a contrasting tuning to the ZMF's.
Now's your chance!

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/audeze-lcd-4-b-stock.37821/

Dec 12, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #1,828 of 2,619
I've had someone recommend the LCD-4 to me actually. I am just a bit hesitant about the weight of them.
With the ‘suspension’ headband, the weight of the LCD-4 is distributed very well. In the meantime, get started on this 🤣:
7F805110-1998-499E-9D13-E7018531B3C3.jpeg

Dec 12, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #1,829 of 2,619
If you missed the LCD-4 B-stock from earlier here is a good price on an LCD-5. I'm loving the pairing of the LCD-5 and Pendant SE the more I listen (and you don't have to worry about the weight)

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/audeze-lcd5.37113/

Dec 16, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #1,830 of 2,619
My top 3 input tubes (in order of preference)

1. Telefunken ECC801S - 1961
2. Brimar Footscray Triple Mica CV455 - 1956
3. Ken-Rad 5814 Pewter Plate - 1951

Users who are viewing this thread

Back