ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Dec 16, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #1,831 of 2,619
My top 3 input tubes (in order of preference)

1. Telefunken ECC801S - 1961
2. Brimar Footscray Triple Mica CV455 - 1956
3. Ken-Rad 5814 Pewter Plate - 19
Is the 1960 tungsol black plate D getter 12bh7 #4?

Dec 16, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #1,833 of 2,619
No it’s the Brimar Laboratory Sample Triple Mica 6060, but that may change when my RFT ECC81 Single Arm Round Foil Disc Getter arrives from Bulgaria.

I do owe the Tung Sol another listen but the presentation was too “in your face” for long term listening sessions from what I recall.

Dec 16, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #1,834 of 2,619
No it’s the Brimar Laboratory Sample Triple Mica 6060, but that may change when my RFT ECC81 Single Arm Round Foil Disc Getter arrives from Bulgaria.

I do owe the Tung Sol another listen but the presentation was too “in your face” for long term listening sessions from what I recall.
I may need to give the Brimar lab sample 6060 another listen as well. It’s basically a prototype of the famous Yellow T’s so it might change things. Being a lab sample it went through more rigorous QC than a production tube

EDIT: @4LoveOfSound Confirmed, Brimar Laboratory Sample 6060 Triple Mica Black Plate Square Getter rounds out the top 4. They are pretty rare, if you see one definitely pick one up. Wes included it in my starter set and was in his top 3.

My 1959 Tung Sol 12BH7A (BOPDG), while an interesting presentation (it certainly differs from my other input tubes) isn’t my cup of tea. It’s always sounds great at first, but the novelty wears off quickly when the fatigue sets in. It’s too bad, I really wanted to like this tube.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #1,835 of 2,619
I just bought a Woo Audio Wa7 3rd Gen, which will be my first tube experience since selling the Pendant OG 14 months ago. It doesn’t quite bring the same joy the pendant did, but it actually fits on my desk, so I can get it up and away and I know my 2 year old will never grab a hot tube!

Anyways, I was looking for recommendations for the dual 12au7 tubes the Wa7 uses. I haven’t really viewed this thread since the 57 Brimar Footscray made it mark around here, but I’m all caught up now! Very enjoyable to see the evolution of tube combos provided here!

I really loved the footscray 57’ cv4033, it made the most dramatic difference for me in the pendant. I may get a pair for the wa7 as well!

I have a pair of Ken-Rad GE14mm Pewter Plates "D" Getter Tubes, and another pair with 17mm pewter plates on the way.
Does anyone know what significance od the length of the plates is? Does it correlate to a certain year?

Dec 17, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #1,836 of 2,619
I just bought a Woo Audio Wa7 3rd Gen, which will be my first tube experience since selling the Pendant OG 14 months ago. It doesn’t quite bring the same joy the pendant did, but it actually fits on my desk, so I can get it up and away and I know my 2 year old will never grab a hot tube!

Anyways, I was looking for recommendations for the dual 12au7 tubes the Wa7 uses. I haven’t really viewed this thread since the 57 Brimar Footscray made it mark around here, but I’m all caught up now! Very enjoyable to see the evolution of tube combos provided here!

I really loved the footscray 57’ cv4033, it made the most dramatic difference for me in the pendant. I may get a pair for the wa7 as well!

I have a pair of Ken-Rad GE14mm Pewter Plates "D" Getter Tubes, and another pair with 17mm pewter plates on the way.
Does anyone know what significance od the length of the plates is? Does it correlate to a certain year?
Definitely find a pair of EFT ECC82. After the very expensive G73-R it's my next favorite at a fraction of the price.

Dec 17, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #1,837 of 2,619
Definitely find a pair of EFT ECC82. After the very expensive G73-R it's my next favorite at a fraction of the price.
I think you meant RFT ECC82 😉

Dec 17, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #1,839 of 2,619
Dec 17, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #1,840 of 2,619
I also looked at the pair of G73-R, but I’m not sure how much effect rolling tubes has with this amp yet. Or if I love it! It’s definitely not a pendant lol.

Dec 17, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #1,841 of 2,619
Dec 19, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #1,843 of 2,619
On a separate but related note, I’ve got my hands on a rare Telefunken specimen. One that hasn’t been discussed yet on this thread. Hope to have some impressions in a few days, but might be a bit longer than that due to the holidays. Stay tuned…

Dec 20, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #1,844 of 2,619
On a separate but related note, I’ve got my hands on a rare Telefunken specimen. One that hasn’t been discussed yet on this thread. Hope to have some impressions in a few days, but might be a bit longer than that due to the holidays. Stay tuned…
I wonder what it could be.....

Dec 20, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #1,845 of 2,619
Those look amazing! You might be hearing the difference between a burnt in pair and a fresh one. The Atrium seems to change a lot with burn in. Congrats!
I have quite a few hours on the Koa now. They still have more bass and fuller mid bass than my aged cherry. These brown pads are not as soft as the pads on the aged cherry. Maybe it has something to do with the pads? I haven't tried pad swapping yet, too busy enjoying the music! The bison strap is wider than the lamb skin strap, which I like, but the lamb skin strap is softer and a little more comfortable than the bison strap. These aren't uncomfortable, but my other set are a little more comfortable between the strap and the pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back