ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Jun 3, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #1,411 of 2,476
Are there any upgrades yet for mine? )))
Nothing realistic. You could do things like swap out parts for ‘audiophile’ parts, but it’s honestly a waste. The best upgrades (the caps) I already did. I can’t quite remember which caps I put in. Mundorf…what else?

Jun 3, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #1,412 of 2,476
Nothing realistic. You could do things like swap out parts for ‘audiophile’ parts, but it’s honestly a waste. The best upgrades (the caps) I already did. I can’t quite remember which caps I put in. Mundorf…what else?
Yes, Mundorf ))

Jun 3, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #1,413 of 2,476
Jun 3, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #1,415 of 2,476
Sorry all to hijack this thread, we've moved to PM.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #1,416 of 2,476
Jun 4, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #1,417 of 2,476
The G-73R looks as though it could be dropped from Junkers JU-87 (‘Stuka’) in WWII. 😜
Looks can be deceiving. . .and with what I am hearing that is definitely the case with the G-73R. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jun 4, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #1,418 of 2,476
Looks can be deceiving. . .and with what I am hearing that is definitely the case with the G-73R. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Are you saying that G-73R is “da bomb”?…😂🤣😂

Jun 5, 2022 at 3:33 AM Post #1,419 of 2,476
Last edited:
Jun 7, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #1,420 of 2,476
. . .and then there was one.

20220602_162504.jpg

This tube is so much better than all my other tubes, that it has ended my search and rolling of the input tube in the Pendant SE. In fact, the Telefunken G73R is so incrediblly good in every regard, that it sounds as if I upgraded a major component in the chain, like a higher-end DAC or Streamer. The sound went from close to lifelike with my other tubes, to so hauntingly lifelike it's insane with the G73R. For example, I fired up the Alice in Chains MTV Unplugged live album yesterday and listened to the entire thing from start to finish and I literally felt like I was at the show. I have never heard music sound so lifelike with so much nuance coming through, and at one point when Lane Staley (lead singer who died from a heroin overdose shortly after the show) was talking to the crowd between songs, I could hear him so hauntingly clear and lifelike that I could feel his struggle with drugs in his voice and I started crying (he was on heroin during the performance battling the addiction and I have been there so I know the struggle all to well). It sounded so real and lifelike with all the emotion coming through that I felt like the lead singer was alive again, and it was such a spooky and amazing experience! :astonished: This tube just lets me get lost in the music like no other, and while listening I don't focus on any one aspect of the sound (bass, mids, or treble) like I do with most tubes, as everything just sounds so right and lifelike it's crazy.

I know this tube is ridiculously priced and hard to find (for a good reason), but honestly in my opinion the improvement in sound is easily justified once you hear it. As an avid tube roller and hunter, that has owned a bunch of rare and highly sought after glass over the years, this is truly the best tube I have ever heard. The hype is real.

Back to musical bliss. . .

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #1,421 of 2,476
At $300 plus per tube, how many backups are you planning to get? Me, I’m sticking with my Ken-Rad. In fact I just ordered a back up pair. I’m going to try the 12ax7 version soon thanks to @hikaru12

Jun 7, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #1,422 of 2,476
At $300 plus per tube, how many backups are you planning to get? Me, I’m sticking with my Ken-Rad. In fact I just ordered a back up pair. I’m going to try the 12ax7 version soon thanks to @hikaru12
Well, I do plan on maybe getting one backup and that's a big maybe. This tube is rated for 40,000 hours, so I am thinking I should be good with the one tube for a while. Those Ken-Rads are awesome tubes, and honestly if I did not hear the G73R, I would be perfectly happy and content with them.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #1,423 of 2,476
The Pendant lives on! It’s back to being the Leeloo. For sale over at headphones.com. Now has speaker taps instead of preamp out, and the price went up.

Jun 7, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #1,424 of 2,476
. . .and then there was one.

20220602_162504.jpg

This tube is so much better than all my other tubes, that it has ended my search and rolling of the input tube in the Pendant SE. In fact, the Telefunken G73R is so incrediblly good in every regard, that it sounds as if I upgraded a major component in the chain, like a higher-end DAC or Streamer. The sound went from close to lifelike with my other tubes, to so hauntingly lifelike it's insane with the G73R. For example, I fired up the Alice in Chains MTV Unplugged live album yesterday and listened to the entire thing from start to finish and I literally felt like I was at the show. I have never heard music sound so lifelike with so much nuance coming through, and at one point when Lane Staley (lead singer who died from a heroin overdose shortly after the show) was talking to the crowd between songs, I could hear him so hauntingly clear and lifelike that I could feel his struggle with drugs in his voice and I started crying (he was on heroin during the performance battling the addiction and I have been there so I know the struggle all to well). It sounded so real and lifelike with all the emotion coming through that I felt like the lead singer was alive again, and it was such a spooky and amazing experience! :astonished: This tube just lets me get lost in the music like no other, and while listening I don't focus on any one aspect of the sound (bass, mids, or treble) like I do with most tubes, as everything just sounds so right and lifelike it's crazy.

I know this tube is ridiculously priced and hard to find (for a good reason), but honestly in my opinion the improvement in sound is easily justified once you hear it. As an avid tube roller and hunter, that has owned a bunch of rare and highly sought after glass over the years, this is truly the best tube I have ever heard. The hype is real.

Back to musical bliss. . .
That's one expensive tube. What seller(s) do you trust that sell it?

The Pendant lives on! It’s back to being the Leeloo. For sale over at headphones.com. Now has speaker taps instead of preamp out, and the price went up.
A&S amps have many qualities, but cheap is not one of them. The Pendant/SE was a bargain in the scheme of things. Wonder what the differences are, new Leeloo vs Pendant, besides speaker outs. He seems to like this design -- good for us. I used to own a SE-84 and loved it.

Jun 7, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #1,425 of 2,476
That's one expensive tube. What seller(s) do you trust that sell it?

A&S amps have many qualities, but cheap is not one of them. The Pendant/SE was a bargain in the scheme of things. Wonder what the differences are, new Leeloo vs Pendant, besides speaker outs. He seems to like this design -- good for us. I used to own a SE-84 and loved it.
It sure is expensive and with what I am hearing it's worth every penny. I bought mine for a premium, but also from a dealer I can trust it was a true NOS, of which is TubeDepot (I think they might have sold out of them by the way). This is the only other place I recommend buying them from, and they do have some stock but unfortunately they only sell them as pairs - https://www.audioantiquary.com/en-us/telefunken-g73r-7336/

As for the pricing of the Pendant SE it sure was a bargain, and I remember Zach saying he was not making much off them, and it would easily cost over $3000 if he were to mark it up accordingly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back