ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
May 18, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #1,381 of 2,555
Got the itch for something different and boy is it ever! I have had an on and off love affair with this tube over the years, and as of right now I am in love. . .

The 6201 Hamburg Pinched Waist Triple Mica D Getter is insane! The huge holographic staging, detail/transparency, bass slam, and lifelike mids and airy treble, are stunning paired up with some Tungsram EL84 Welded Plate Foil O Getters and a RFT EZ81 Welded Plate Foil Disc Getter. The sound is as good as I have heard my VC's and this tube combo really plays to it's strengths.

I have been finding it quite interesting how my taste and preferences have continually evolved the more time I spend with the Pendant SE and VC over the past year of owning both, and I sure am glad I held onto some of my rare "Holy Grail" tubes. The 6201 PWTMDG really is an incredible tube.

20220518_165800.jpg

Happy Listening!

Last edited:
May 20, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #1,382 of 2,555
Say hello to my "A Team" of driver tubes. They are all at the same level, but do their own unique thing. Rotating through these is such a treat, and really helps keep things fresh and exciting. :grin:

Left to Right - Tung Sol 12BH7 (BPDG), Funkwerk Erfurt ECC81 (OG FDG Version from 54'), Mullard ECC82 (LPSG), Philips ECC81 (OG Hamburg Coin Base DG), 6201 (Hamburg PWTMDG), Ken-Rad 5814 (Pewter Plate SG), and Hytron 12BH7 (OG DG Version 51').

20220520_064615.jpg

Sound sigs -

Tung Sol - Midrange focus, with hard hitting middbass, and killer vocals, and a smooth top end. The staging is not quite as expansive as the others, but still has good 3Dness.

Funkwerk Erfurt - Well balanced, with killer extension and impact in the bass, highly transparent/detailed mids, and sparkling airy highs, the staging is massive being both wide and deep and this is a highly musical tube

Mullard - Tight hard hitting bass, killer bloom and detail in midrange, with hauntingly lifelike vocals, and smooth highs. The reverb and decay lingers a bit longer than the other tubes and sounds incredible with my VC's. The staging is very holographic and deep. A fun tube, but highly capable as well.

Philips (Hamburg) Coin Base - Huge thumping bass with a bit of middbass bloom, detailed mids and forward vocals, and good extension in the highs. Another highly musical tube, that combines warmth down low, and sparkle up top.

Philips 6201 - Well balanced top to bottom, highly detailed/transparent, deep and tight hard hitting bass (only when called for), airy and detailed mids with killer texture, and airy and extended highs, the staging is the most holographic and expansive of the group, and has to be heard to be believed. This tube is a stunner!

Ken-Rad - Well balanced top to bottom, deep thunderous subbass with good middbass punch, clean and clear mids, and smooth highs. The staging is deep and this tube just sounds so right, transparent and balanced, and it would work in any situation. I can't see anyone not loving this tube.

Hytron - Well balanced top to bottom, the bass slams and has a bit of midbass bloom, the mids are highly detailed and transparent and the highs are smooth. Vocals and instruments are huge and present and sound very lifelike. This tube has a deep stage with killer dynamics, but still stays smooth at the same time. The sound is powerful, big and musical.

Happy Listening!

Last edited:
May 20, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #1,383 of 2,555
May 23, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #1,384 of 2,555
Hey @zach915m do you have any vintage tubes left for the Pendant SE? I sent you an email a few weeks ago regarding your stock, though I don't know if it ever reached you.

May 23, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #1,385 of 2,555
Hey @zach915m do you have any vintage tubes left for the Pendant SE? I sent you an email a few weeks ago regarding your stock, though I don't know if it ever reached you.
Sorry to anyone who emailed me! I do indeed have stock, I will go through stock tomorrow and email everyone back.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 30, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #1,386 of 2,555
Been having a blast doing another driver tube rolling marathon this weekend with all my favs and a few from my stash, and I have found another one that will definitely be put back into my normal rotation. The Raytheon 7729 long plate is killer! The transparency, speed and detail are all top notch with this one, and coupled with very deep and tall staging, it's a highly immersive and addictive listen. . .

Happy Memorial Day and Happy Listening!

20220530_061549.jpg

Last edited:
May 30, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #1,387 of 2,555
Been having a blast doing another driver tube rolling marathon this weekend with all my favs and a few from my stash, and I have found another one that will definitely be put back into my normal rotation. The Raytheon 7729 long plate is killer! The transparency, speed and detail are all top notch with this one, and coupled with very deep and tall staging, it's a highly immersive and addictive listen. . .

Happy Memorial Day and Happy Listening!

20220530_061549.jpg
It has been a while since you ‘musiced’ with the 7729 long-plate. I remember you raving then 🤪.

May 31, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #1,388 of 2,555
It has been a while since you ‘musiced’ with the 7729 long-plate. I remember you raving then 🤪.
I have been having a blast revisiting some of my old favs lately, and speaking of that. . .I just rolled in some of my Valvo Hamburg EL84 Dish Getters 53' and they sound even better than I remember. The background is pitch black on the low Z tap, staging is incredibly deep and expansive and the detail is there in spades with these German's paired up with the G.E. (Ken-Rad) 5814 Pewter Plate and RFT EZ81 Welded Plate Foil Getter. :astonished: I have said it many times before, and I will say it again. . .the Pendant SE is a tube rollers dream amp, and being able to fine tune the sound from 3 different angles (driver, power and rectifier) really lets you dial it in to perfection.

Valvo Hamburg EL84 Dish Getters (OG's 53') and G.E. (Ken-Rad 52') 5814 Pewter Plate and RFT EZ81 WPFG = Soundstage of dreams with my VC's

20220531_041848.jpg

Happy Rolling and Listening!

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #1,389 of 2,555
Decided to see how deep and expansive I could get the stage and this all German tube combo did not disappoint one bit. There is detail, texture, harmonic richness, and stage expansion that made my jaw drop listening with my VC's last night. The Germans sure knew how to make some killer tubes back in the day, and Hamburg is definitely where some of the magic happened.

Hamburg 6201 PWTMDG, Hamburg EL84 DG 53', and RFT EZ81 WPFG

20220531_181951.jpg

Interesting thing is the Hamburg EL84 and 6201 where some of the first tubes I rolled in this amp a year ago and they impressed me then. . . however now that I have learned to be a better listener and have added the RFT EZ81 WPFG to the mix, things are much more impressive this time around.

Happy Rolling and Listening!

Jun 1, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #1,390 of 2,555
What's that traveling case ZMF uses for Pendant? I want to buy the same case for my Bottlehead Mainline.

Jun 2, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #1,392 of 2,555
Jun 2, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #1,395 of 2,555
What's that traveling case ZMF uses for Pendant? I want to buy the same case for my Bottlehead Mainline.
Like @BudKine mentioned it's a Seahorse style case, and I will measure mine when I get home in a few hours and post them here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back