ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Apr 3, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #1,201 of 2,481
Can't be anyone else, unless BangyBang opened an Italian division recently. If that happened, I feel really sorry for Italy. :laughing:
An Italian subsidiary would likely be called ‘Bang e Bang’….🤣

Apr 3, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #1,203 of 2,481
Apr 3, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #1,205 of 2,481
I will have to, then, trot out a post from November 2021 in the DarkVoice thread…
CA6CE421-BE8E-4C51-A6D4-5262D1D15E6A.jpeg

Apr 7, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #1,207 of 2,481
I tried the 12BH7 Raytheon black oval plate, D getter last night and yes, it is a very nice tube! It tests perfect plate top plate and is stone quiet as well. Hard to say how it compares to my Holy Grails, but it is indeed a keeper at a bargain price of $20!

I will receive my Hytron today.

Wes S has dig up another oldie but goody and I am DONE buying tubes.............at least for today :confused:

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #1,208 of 2,481
Broke the rule and didn't notice "No returns' on the Hytron. Complete waste of $$$ with readings on both plates in the REJECT zone. I was going to raise a fuss with E-Bay and the seller and then I dropped it............ butter fingers!

Oh well. Lesson learned and only $20 for Stupid Tax.

Apr 8, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #1,210 of 2,481
Finally put the 51' Ken-Rad 5814 pewter plate in the Pendant. NICE! I took them out of my RH-5 because my left channel developed crackling. I'll put each of the Ken-Rad's in the Pendant and see if I can reproduce it. The CBS 12BH7 has a much different presentation to it. Much bigger sound stage. Both are excellent and pretty quiet. The quietest tube I have is the GE grey plate, triple mica, 5814A. I don't know what year it is. There isn't any date code on it. I would guess somewhere in the 60's.

Apr 9, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #1,211 of 2,481
Broke the rule and didn't notice "No returns' on the Hytron. Complete waste of $$$ with readings on both plates in the REJECT zone. I was going to raise a fuss with E-Bay and the seller and then I dropped it............ butter fingers!

Oh well. Lesson learned and only $20 for Stupid Tax.
Bummer, and hopefully you don't give up on finding and trying the CBS-HYTRON version, as that's my favorite and is the most impressive of all the 12BH7 I have heard so far. Speaking of the CBS-HYTRON 12BH7, as it usually goes with tubes I am finding the earlier the better. Look for White Lettered Logos and Getters that are angled (45 degree), as those have better inner detail and more harmonic richness as well. It's hard to put it into words, but the earlier versions just sound more "magical" and "lifelike".

Look for something like this below and you won't be disappointed (as long as they test well and aren't noisy:wink:).

The 2 earliest versions - Angled D Getter (left tube) and Angled Square Getter (earliest version on the right).

s-l1600-59.jpg

Happy Hunting, Rolling and Listening!

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #1,212 of 2,481
Bummer, and hopefully you don't give up on finding and trying the CBS-HYTRON version, as that's my favorite and is the most impressive of all the 12BH7 I have heard so far. Speaking of the CBS-HYTRON 12BH7, as it usually goes with tubes I am finding the earlier the better. Look for White Lettered Logos and Getters that are angled (45 degree), as those have better inner detail and more harmonic richness as well. It's hard to put it into words, but the earlier versions just sound more "magical" and "lifelike".

Look for something like this below and you won't be disappointed (as long as they test well and aren't noisy:wink:).

The 2 earliest versions - Angled D Getter (left tube) and Angled Square Getter (earliest version on the right).

s-l1600-59.jpg

Happy Hunting, Rolling and Listening!
I had those in my watched items for about 4 hours then they were sold. I guess I know who bought them.

Apr 10, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #1,213 of 2,481
Apr 10, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #1,214 of 2,481
Guilty as charged. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I knew I should have just bought them and not waited.. Oh well. Listening to my new Atrium on the Pendant. What a beautiful sounding headphone. The sound stage of these is amazing and so immersive. I have 4 ZMFs now Blackwood VC, Bocote Auteur, Bubinga Aoleus, Age Cherry Atrium) and they all sound different. Justification to keep them all!

Apr 10, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #1,215 of 2,481
I knew I should have just bought them and not waited.. Oh well. Listening to my new Atrium on the Pendant. What a beautiful sounding headphone. The sound stage of these is amazing and so immersive. I have 4 ZMFs now Blackwood VC, Bocote Auteur, Bubinga Aoleus, Age Cherry Atrium) and they all sound different. Justification to keep them all!
LOL! I am sure there will be more, and I am all stocked up now on that version so you won't be competing with me next time. :wink: As for the Atrium, I can only imagine the sound stage with the Pendant SE and some good tubes. . .I don't do Open-Backs but that one has really tempted me into thinking maybe I could use one. :thinking: That being said, I already have the funds lined up and ready to go for the soon to be released Closed-Back version of the Atrium and can't wait to add a 3rd ZMF Closed-Back to my collection. I have been rocking with my Atticus the past couple of days after going 2 weeks straight with my VC, and man o man they both have their strengths and own unique character and I love both headphones equally (definitely justified owning multiple ZMF's). I think the VC, Atticus, and Atrium Closed will be a "dream team" with three different driver types/flavors of ZMF awesomeness, and I can't wait to complete the trio. :grin:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back