ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Mar 28, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #1,171 of 2,532
Last edited:
Mar 28, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #1,172 of 2,532
Just bought the 2nd link. The first was already sold. Since there wasn't much description and was in German, for my records should I just call them that? Any idea what decade at least?

Mar 28, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #1,173 of 2,532
Just bought the 2nd link. The first was already sold. Since there wasn't much description and was in German, for my records should I just call them that? Any idea what decade at least?
Those sure went quick! The Tungsram Foil getters were made from the mid to late 50's.

Mar 29, 2022 at 5:30 AM Post #1,175 of 2,532
Pendant SE w/ Tungsram EL84 & EZ81 + CBS 12BH7 + Verite Closed =

Stage expansion and imaging that will make your jaw drop, bass impact and texture you can feel, and all the detail one could ever want while staying smooth and fatigue free.

The CBS-HYTRON 12BH7 is a real stunner with the Pendant SE and VC!

Back to the music. . .

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #1,176 of 2,532
I'm discovering different tubes sound better with different headphones. I really like the 12BH7 with the VC, but not so much with the Auteur. I love love love the late 50's GE triple mica 5814 with the Auteur, but not with the VC. I like the Funkwerk foil getter ECC83 with both headphones. The nice thing with the Pendant is it's so easy to swap tubes! I still haven't tried the Ken-Rad 5814 in the Pendant. I love it so much in the Rogue, I don't want to take it out!

Mar 29, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #1,177 of 2,532
I'm discovering different tubes sound better with different headphones. I really like the 12BH7 with the VC, but not so much with the Auteur. I love love love the late 50's GE triple mica 5814 with the Auteur, but not with the VC. I like the Funkwerk foil getter ECC83 with both headphones. The nice thing with the Pendant is it's so easy to swap tubes! I still haven't tried the Ken-Rad 5814 in the Pendant. I love it so much in the Rogue, I don't want to take it out!
I too prefer a different tube combo for my two headphones.

As for that Ken-Rad 5814, you won't be disappointed to say the least. I have been holding off on letting the cat out of the bag on this one, but so much for that. . .The Ken-Rad 5814 Pewter Plate 2 mica, is an outstanding tube that has bass power that can almost hang with the CBS 12BH7, and that's saying something. As for the rest of the sound, the mids are crystal clear and well balanced and the highs soar but never get harsh. One might say it's a perfect sounding tube. . .

https://tubemaze.info/ken-rad-ge-5814-black-plates/

20220325_133815.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #1,179 of 2,532
I'll have to look for another one so I don't have to take the pair I have out of the Rogue RH-5.
I actually have some great news for you on that front, and it's that the G.E. labeled version sounds the exact same and is widely available on ebay at the moment. I have a pair of GE from 52' and a single labeled Ken-Rad from 51', both with double micas and the pewter plates and they sound identical. This is actually the first GE tube that I like, and like is an understatement. This is one of the better 12AU7 sounding variants I have heard, and the bass is incredible.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #1,180 of 2,532
From what I read, G.E. bought Ken-Rad in the late 40's I believe, and the late 40's/early 50's GE's were made in the Ken-Rad plant. Just because I read it on the internets doesn't mean it's true........

Mar 29, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #1,181 of 2,532
From what I read, G.E. bought Ken-Rad in the late 40's I believe, and the late 40's/early 50's GE's were made in the Ken-Rad plant. Just because I read it on the internets doesn't mean it's true........
That's what I have read as well, and believe is correct.

Mar 30, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #1,182 of 2,532
I too prefer a different tube combo for my two headphones.

As for that Ken-Rad 5814, you won't be disappointed to say the least. I have been holding off on letting the cat out of the bag on this one, but so much for that. . .The Ken-Rad 5814 Pewter Plate 2 mica, is an outstanding tube that has bass power that can almost hang with the CBS 12BH7, and that's saying something. As for the rest of the sound, the mids are crystal clear and well balanced and the highs soar but never get harsh. One might say it's a perfect sounding tube. . .

https://tubemaze.info/ken-rad-ge-5814-black-plates/

20220325_133815.jpg
I have that Pewter plate but as a 12AX7 tube. It’s highly recommended.

Mar 30, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #1,183 of 2,532
I have that Pewter plate but as a 12AX7 tube. It’s highly recommended.
Nice! have been looking at Ken-Rad pewter plates in 12AU7 and 12AX7, and plan to try both eventually.

Mar 31, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #1,184 of 2,532
I guess that I am pretty late to the party in regard to some of these tube combinations being used in the Pendant. Having always been a “music first” guy I start listening to one track and end up listening to the whole album. That’s OK but not exactly analytical if it’s tubes that you are trying to compare. There’s only so many times that one can listen to “The smoothly song” or whatever you use to compare gear with. Having said all of that I am astounded in the detail of sound provided by a Raytheon 12BH7 that I received the other day.
Dave’s picks 41 has never sounded better. Everyone in the band seems to have a light shining on them somehow. Just listening to the music again now.

Mar 31, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #1,185 of 2,532
I guess that I am pretty late to the party in regard to some of these tube combinations being used in the Pendant. Having always been a “music first” guy I start listening to one track and end up listening to the whole album. That’s OK but not exactly analytical if it’s tubes that you are trying to compare. There’s only so many times that one can listen to “The smoothly song” or whatever you use to compare gear with. Having said all of that I am astounded in the detail of sound provided by a Raytheon 12BH7 that I received the other day.
Dave’s picks 41 has never sounded better. Everyone in the band seems to have a light shining on them somehow. Just listening to the music again now.
Heck yeah, another win for the 12BH7!

It's all about listening to the music for me too, and finding tubes that make it more engaging is just part of the fun.

Welcome to the club and better late than never! :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back