ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Apr 14, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #1,232 of 2,521
I read sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Figured I had nothing to lose. It was a crackling noise like crinkling wax paper or tinfoil, something like that. I was home today getting my sprinkler system fixed so my Pendant was on all day and I was listening most of it. Lucky me! No noise at all after cleaning the pins.
IMG_0128.JPG
IMG_0129.JPG

Apr 14, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #1,233 of 2,521
I read sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Figured I had nothing to lose. It was a crackling noise like crinkling wax paper or tinfoil, something like that. I was home today getting my sprinkler system fixed so my Pendant was on all day and I was listening most of it. Lucky me! No noise at all after cleaning the pins.
Thanks for the info and pics!

Apr 14, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #1,234 of 2,521
Be sure to clean your sockets too. They can also cause issues with spurious noises if they get really dirty. Pipe cleaners work great for octal sockets, and the things below work great for noval sockets. Just be sure to spray the cleaner on the applicator (not directly into the socket).

https://www.amazon.com/Whaline-Micr...eee850dfd&pd_rd_wg=oUocz&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mi

1649981851250.png

Apr 15, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #1,235 of 2,521
I though this was kind of cool. . .I have collected all the earliest versions of my current favorite tube, and here is the evolution of the Hytron 12BH7 becoming the CBS 12BH7A. :grin:

20220415_090325.jpg

Hytron 50' (Raised D Getter), Hytron 51' (Angled D Getter), Hytron 52' (Angled Square Getter), CBS-Hytron 53' (Angled Square Getter), CBS 58' (Raised D Getter)

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #1,237 of 2,521
Apr 15, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #1,238 of 2,521
Karl Marx was right.

There is OBVIOUSLY a need to redistribute the Hytron wealth! :laughing:
…also (paraphrasing)…tubes are the opiate of the Wes….🤣🤣🤣

Apr 16, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #1,239 of 2,521
@Wes S have you ever tried a Raytheon black plate triple mica windmill getter 5814? I think I remember you saying the double mica versions were better????
They’re a little easier to get than the double mica. They can be found pretty much anywhere. I’ve been wondering about this one as well. The triple mica design should reduce noise which might contribute to more detail.

A tube I can highly recommend for the tone heads here (with adapter) is a Ken Rad Black Glass VT-231. The mids are very clear, the bass is super dynamic, there’s smoothness and welcome tone in droves but don’t expect the most expansive stage or detail. If you truly want more clarity I would suggest the Ken Rad Black Plate Copper Cathode VT-231. All you need are 6SN7 to 12AU7 adapters. I can’t imagine clearer mids. Vocals are as sharp as a knife and are very easy to follow along. Same great bass and no sharp treble. Ken Rad makes some great tubes particuarly if you prefer tonality over absolute detail.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #1,240 of 2,521
They’re a little easier to get than the double mica. They can be found pretty much anywhere. I’ve been wondering about this one as well. The triple mica design should reduce noise which might contribute to more detail.
All else equal (usually not), would not a triple mica tube sound better than a double mica equivalent because of: taller plates and greater structural rigidity?

Apr 16, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #1,241 of 2,521
All else equal (usually not), would not a triple mica tube sound better than a double mica equivalent because of: taller plates and greater structural rigidity?
In terms of micro phonics yes but the double micas are older which the general rule of thumb is that older tubes sound better (better cathode material, better vacuum etc.) That may be the case with these tubes. I can’t really comment on them as I’ve only heard the double mica and found them a bit too forward for my tastes.

Apr 17, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #1,242 of 2,521
After owning these for a few years and only using them for an hour or 2 in a LP, I finally tried the Tele G73-R in my BB. It is a very nice tube, top to bottom with great detail retrieval and no brittle top end. There is an almost eerie realism on many recordings.
I can see why some folks on the Riviera AIC-10 site are getting excited about this Telefunken.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 5:57 AM Post #1,243 of 2,521
After owning these for a few years and only using them for an hour or 2 in a LP, I finally tried the Tele G73-R in my BB. It is a very nice tube, top to bottom with great detail retrieval and no brittle top end. There is an almost eerie realism on many recordings.
I can see why some folks on the Riviera AIC-10 site are getting excited about this Telefunken.
LOL! Nice try, but not gonna bite, and especially for that kind of money. Those AIC-10 guys with their Abyss headphones chasing transparency and detail, can have them all (and can afford them).

I am fine with this one (at $25 a piece), with it's weighty notes, euphonic texture, holographic stage to die for and "thereness". . .what else could one want? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

20220417_045238.jpg
20220417_045137.jpg

There is a reason why one can find the triple mica everywhere and the double mica has been hunted to extinction. Early is often better. . .

Also, the double mica has taller plates than the triple mica version. . .

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #1,245 of 2,521
I am fine with this one all of these (at $25 a piece), with its their weighty notes, euphonic texture, holographic stage to die for and "thereness". A monopoly on great sound …what else could one want? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

FTFY…[Reg. TM; © bcowen: 2021]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back