ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Apr 17, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #1,246 of 2,513
Since the maniacal 'Wes S Tubes, Inc' has single handadly bought any and all of the available worldwide stock of the mythical Hytron, what is a mere mortal to do in procuring this unicorn tube?
Kind of pricey, but sometimes....who cares, right? :laughing:

https://tubeworldexpress.com/produc...os-1960-9-2-13ma?_pos=35&_sid=6fb7c9893&_ss=r
https://tubeworldexpress.com/produc...960-era-8-6-12ma?_pos=39&_sid=6fb7c9893&_ss=r
https://tubeworldexpress.com/produc...60-era-8-4-9-0ma?_pos=42&_sid=6fb7c9893&_ss=r

Apr 22, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #1,248 of 2,513
My 1952 GE pewter plate 5814's arrived. Comparing it to the 1951 Ken-Rad pewter plate 5814, they look identical and very importantly, they sound the same! I'm very happy! So far, these are my favorite tubes in both the Pendant SE and the Rogue RH-5. I haven't given up on finding a Hytron 12BH7, but I'm in no rush.

Apr 22, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #1,249 of 2,513
My 1952 GE pewter plate 5814's arrived. Comparing it to the 1951 Ken-Rad pewter plate 5814, they look identical and very importantly, they sound the same! I'm very happy! So far, these are my favorite tubes in both the Pendant SE and the Rogue RH-5. I haven't given up on finding a Hytron 12BH7, but I'm in no rush.
If you’re looking for some of those in 12AX7 format I have a pair. I agree they sound what Ken Rad is known for - their bass and dynamics.

Apr 23, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #1,250 of 2,513
Happy Saturday and Happy Listening!

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #1,251 of 2,513
Happy Saturday and Happy Listening!
I'm listening to my "new" 1952 GE's right now! I need to plug the new ZMF Atrium. These headphones sound simply amazing. Looking forward to a closed back version.

Apr 23, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #1,252 of 2,513
I'm listening to my "new" 1952 GE's right now! I need to plug the new ZMF Atrium. These headphones sound simply amazing. Looking forward to a closed back version.
Nice! I am right there with ya on the looking forward to the closed back version Atrium, and will be buying a set of those for sure.

Apr 23, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #1,253 of 2,513
Apr 23, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #1,254 of 2,513
….crappy chores 😒 —> happy listening 🥲
I retitled the "HoneyDo" list to the "HoneyDue" list. Now she can add stuff at will and I won't ever have to actually do anything until sometime in the future (which could be months....or years). 😂

Apr 23, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #1,255 of 2,513
I retitled the "HoneyDo" list to the "HoneyDue" list. Now she can add stuff at will and I won't ever have to actually do anything until sometime in the future (which could be months....or years). 😂
Great idea! AND (drum roll..) if the list gets long enough / old enough, the statute of limitations will apply…🙂🤣🙂🤣

Apr 23, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #1,256 of 2,513
Great idea! AND (drum roll..) if the list gets long enough / old enough, the statute of limitations will apply…🙂🤣🙂🤣
LOL! That, and auto-correct. Like with all the stuff that needs done to the house. At some point we'll sell the house. :laughing:

Apr 24, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #1,258 of 2,513
Didn't catch the unedited post regarding TS 12BH7?
LOL! I had second thoughts about letting the cat out of the bag on this one, so I deleted the original post. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: However, I just purchased a couple more (backups for my backups) so it's time to share. My addiction got the best of me once again, and I am hear to report that the Tung Sol 12BH7A Black Oval Plate D Getter is another winner and is every bit as good (but slightly different) as the early Hytron's and much better than the Raytheon. Compared to the Hytron, the TS has tighter bass, is more forward in the mids (especially vocals), and has a bit better speed, detail and transparency. Compared to the Raytheon, they are both forward in the mids, but the TS is more transparent and has better speed and a larger stage and is better in pretty much all regards. Honestly the Raytheon just can't hang with the other two and does not get any more listening time from me. The TS is very well balanced top to bottom, and has that "on stage forwardness" type presentation to where I feel like I am the one doing the singing, with sounds of instruments flying all around my head. The staging I am getting with the TS really is top notch, and it throws a very expansive and holographic stage, and is just as immersive if not a bit more than the Hytron. The stand out traits of the TS Black Oval Plate D Getter are the speed, tightness/refinement, impact, detail and holographic stage. So, for those who have tried the CBS-Hytron or Raytheon 12BH7 and thought they were a bit too warm or slow, I recommend giving the Tung Sol (BOPDG) a try.

Tung Sol 12BH7A Black Oval Plate D Getter 59'

20220423_060933.jpg

Happy Hunting, Rolling, and Listening!

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #1,259 of 2,513
IMO, TS didn't make a bad tube. I have 6SN7 black glass round plates and many 5687's
I think I'll pass for now since the Tele G73-R sounds so amazing. Even my favorite dual 6J5's (also TS) can't touch the Tele......close, but no cigar!

You are so patient and good at finding great tubes and at a bargain that I'm certain that you will score a Tele for a good price and then your jaw will REALLY be on the floor!!!

Apr 24, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #1,260 of 2,513
IMO, TS didn't make a bad tube. I have 6SN7 black glass round plates and many 5687's
I think I'll pass for now since the Tele G73-R sounds so amazing. Even my favorite dual 6J5's (also TS) can't touch the Tele......close, but no cigar!

You are so patient and good at finding great tubes and at a bargain that I'm certain that you will score a Tele for a good price and then your jaw will REALLY be on the floor!!!
That Tele is not even on my radar anymore (to damn expensive and it's not a 12BH7), but glad its working out for you, and sounds like we both are happy with our current tubes.

Speaking of that Tele of yours and some food for thought, is that there are several versions of the G73-R said to all sound awesome but slightly different. . .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back