ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Apr 24, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #1,261 of 2,513
Purchased a 1952 Ken-Rad 12BH7 this morning. I’m looking forward to trying it out. Couldn’t find much info on it. We shall see…..

Apr 24, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #1,262 of 2,513
Purchased a 1952 Ken-Rad 12BH7 this morning. I’m looking forward to trying it out. Couldn’t find much info on it. We shall see…..
Hopefully it still has the Ken-Rad soul to it (GE bought Ken-Rad in 1945).

Apr 24, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #1,263 of 2,513
That Tele is not even on my radar anymore (to damn expensive and it's not a 12BH7), but glad its working out for you, and sounds like we both are happy with our current tubes.

You have found cheap as well as some exotic and expensive tubes through out the years on this journey. Is the G73-R worth $500, maybe not. You, more than most, really like great tubes so don't rule out finding a bargain. I've always said you are patient and wait for opportunities. Yes, the 12BH7 are good but you would be floored when you hear a G73-R. Sure, the guys who own the AIC-10 have deep pockets and can afford these Tele's and I get that. Keep your eyes open. One sold for $1-200 recently on the HF classifieds! You can still help HeadFi members with bargain tubes but you owe it to yourself to try this gem!

Life is too short not to have the BEST tubes and you know that is true!!!
Speaking of that Tele of yours and some food for thought, is that there are several versions of the G73-R said to all sound awesome but slightly different. . .
I am good with the version (still for sale at TUBE Depot) I have:

Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 7.13.24 PM.png

I trust this seller even though I bought for them for far less a few years ago.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #1,264 of 2,513
You have found cheap as well as some exotic and expensive tubes through out the years on this journey. Is the G73-R worth $500, maybe not. You, more than most, really like great tubes so don't rule out finding a bargain. I've always said you are patient and wait for opportunities. Yes, the 12BH7 are good but you would be floored when you hear a G73-R. Sure, the guys who own the AIC-10 have deep pockets and can afford these Tele's and I get that. Keep your eyes open. One sold for $1-200 recently on the HF classifieds! You can still help HeadFi members with bargain tubes but you owe it to yourself to try this gem!

Life is too short not to have the BEST tubes and you know that is true!!!

I am good with the version (still for sale at TUBE Depot) I have:

I trust this seller even though I bought for them for far less a few years ago.
Still not gonna bite. :wink: I will never spend that kind of money on tubes ever again. Life is too short to waste money on exotic tubes, when I can buy a Tung Sol or Hytron 12bh7 for $50 and be perfectly happy. Also, the 12BH7 I have may be affordable in price, but they sound better than any exotic tube I have heard. Also, we have different gear and preferences, so I can only imagine we would land on different tubes as our favorites. I for one love the stage presentation and added note weight I get with the 12BH7 (especially the early Hytron’s and Tung Sol) as the driver tube in the Pendant SE, and don't want to loose any of that going with a 12AU7. Also, if I had a warmer sounding AmpsandSound amp like a BB or Mogwai SE, I might probably be more tempted to hear a Tele G73-R, but with the neutral sounding Pendant SE I am looking to add note weight and the 12BH7 is king.

Lastly, if the only 12BH7 you have heard is the Raytheon, then I get why you aren't impressed.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #1,265 of 2,513
It appears @Wes S has not depleted the world’s supply of Tung Sol 12BH7’s. I found one, a 1954. I didn’t hesitate this time Wes. Wasn’t giving you a chance to snatch it away! Will have some fun comparing my current favorite to the incoming Ken-Rad and Tung Sol 12BH7’s.

Apr 25, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #1,266 of 2,513
It appears @Wes S has not depleted the world’s supply of Tung Sol 12BH7’s. I found one, a 1954. I didn’t hesitate this time Wes. Wasn’t giving you a chance to snatch it away! Will have some fun comparing my current favorite to the incoming Ken-Rad and Tung Sol 12BH7’s.
Nice!

54'? That might be the earliest I have heard of for the Tung Sol 12BH7. Curious, does it have black plates, and if you could share a pic that would be awesome? I have been studying the internals of the Tung Sol D Getter 12BH7 and so far they appear to be the same from 55' -61' from what I have gathered, so that's why I am curious about the one you have coming from 54'.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #1,267 of 2,513
Yup! I think the US Department of Justice or Federal Trade commission may be considering a case on Wes and his actions. I think it’s called tube Monopoly!

With the primary, backup and backup up FOR the backup in various vintages he has the market cornered🙄

He seems like such a nice guy🦈

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #1,268 of 2,513
I’ll post pictures for you
Nice!

54'? That might be the earliest I have heard of for the Tung Sol 12BH7. Curious, does it have black plates, and if you could share a pic that would be awesome? I have been studying the internals of the Tung Sol D Getter 12BH7 and so far they appear to be the same from 55' -61' from what I have gathered, so that's why I am curious about the one you have coming from 54'.
my bad, it’s a 1956

Apr 26, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #1,269 of 2,513
The Raytheon Windmill getter ended up being a total fail on my end - not really worth the asking price but it is a very cool tube to look at. The markings and getter is very unique. It's a bit too warm with a bit of muted detail. As always, it's all about synergy with your system. Just because a tube if highly touted it may not work in your system. I think I'll look at brighter tubes next.

Apr 26, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #1,270 of 2,513
Yup! I think the US Department of Justice or Federal Trade commission may be considering a case on Wes and his actions. I think it’s called tube Monopoly.
….do not pass purchase tubes, go directly to jail…😳

Apr 26, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #1,271 of 2,513
Apr 26, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #1,273 of 2,513

Users who are viewing this thread

Back