ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Mar 5, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #1,097 of 2,607
All this talk of 5814 tubes has me very curious to hear some more of them.
What specific 5814 would any of you recommend if I were to get just one?
Is this a good choice?https://www.rfparts.com/5814-cbs-medium-mu-double-triode-tube-nos-nib.html
What should I be looking for in brand or getter type?
I'll defer to @Wes S on what to look for with the CBS. One 5814 I can tell you NOT to get is the Philips ECG. It is without any doubt the absolute nastiest sounding audio tube I've heard in 25+ years of tube rolling. It's really that bad.

1646540824355.png

Mar 6, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #1,098 of 2,607
I'll defer to @Wes S on what to look for with the CBS. One 5814 I can tell you NOT to get is the Philips ECG. It is without any doubt the absolute nastiest sounding audio tube I've heard in 25+ years of tube rolling. It's really that bad.

1646540824355.png
Why is it not in pieces? 🤣🤔

Mar 6, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #1,099 of 2,607
You linked me to a 5814 back in the day that had red lettering but it wasn’t a Raytheon. Do you recall what it was? It was relatively easy to find and not too expensive. I had that in now and it’s definitely pretty dynamic like how you describe.

Speaking of which you should put a pair of those Raytheon 5814s in your Rogue and report back. Curious how they sound with different amps.

@bcowen I have a 6SN7 to 12AU adapter if you want to do some testing. I can lend it to you.
The tube I linked was the CBS-Hytron 5814 black plate bent square getter. As for putting the 5814 in my RH-5, I have had the Raytheon 5814 Black Plate Square Getters 2 Mica, in my RH-5 for several days now and they sure do sound incredible in it. In fact my RH-5 with the Raytheon 5814 is technically on a completely different level than the Pendant, and it's the best I have heard both that amp and my VC sound. The 5814 (especially the Raytheon 2 mica black plate) is magical in both amps, and I could see it working well in any amp that takes 12AU7.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #1,100 of 2,607
All this talk of 5814 tubes has me very curious to hear some more of them.
What specific 5814 would any of you recommend if I were to get just one?
Is this a good choice?https://www.rfparts.com/5814-cbs-medium-mu-double-triode-tube-nos-nib.html
What should I be looking for in brand or getter type?
That's an excellent choice, but a bit pricey. That's a CBS-Hytron of which I have mentioned previously in this thread. I have paid no more than $60 a tube, and they can even be found for about $60 a pair on eBay if patient.

The 5814 tubes that I am digging are, the Sylvania 5814a triple mica short grey plate, the CBS-Hytron 5814 Black Plate Bent Square Getter, and last but definitely not least the Raytheon 5814 Black Plate Bent Square Getter 2 Mica. All 3 of these are outstanding with slight differences, the Sylvania being the most romantic but not sloppy, and then the CBS-Hytron is in the middle, and the Raytheon is the most transparent and forward of the 3. These were 3 of the most popular 5814, that I found out about during my research. The 5814 was a favorite tube of mine back in my Bottlehead Crack days, and I sure am glad I pulled them back out as they sound outstanding in the Pendant as well. There are quite a few different 5814, and I am sure there are more great ones that I have not tried yet. I do know the 3 different ones I have tried are all outstanding tubes. Another thing worth mentioning, is that I have found these 5814 tubes to be extremely quite in the Pendant, of which is a big plus.

Lots of good and reliable info in this website about lots of different tube types and I concur with all tube descriptions. This site has probably been the single best resource for tubes and their sound signatures that I have found in my 6 years of being in the hobby, and has helped me out tremendously over the years. Here is the section about 5814 - https://tubemaze.info/5814/

Below are links to the three 5814 that I am using and digging at the moment.

https://tubemaze.info/raytheon-crp-5814-black-plates-d-getter/
https://tubemaze.info/cbs-hytron-5814a-black-plates/
https://tubemaze.info/sylvania-jhs-5814-gray-plates/

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #1,101 of 2,607
Why is it not in pieces? 🤣🤔
Concern, mostly. It sucks *so* bad that if broken, the extreme vacuum might suck in everything nearby and risk the formation of a black hole. :laughing:

Mar 7, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #1,103 of 2,607
Concern, mostly. It sucks *so* bad that if broken, the extreme vacuum might suck in everything nearby and risk the formation of a black hole. :laughing:
That black hole would suck in the broken ECG pieces…doing the universe a favour. Besides, if left intact, a tube ‘rookie’ might mistake the ECG with its light blue print as a CBS-Hytron…🤔

Mar 7, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #1,104 of 2,607
Not to complicate things but don't forget about the CBS Hytron 7730. Often relabeled in Raytheon 😂
Been there and done that one. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: The Raytheon and CBS-Hytron 5814, both smoke the 7730 in the Pendant (in my opinion). Don't get me wrong, the 7730 is a killer tube with a unique sound, but in both my amps I much prefer the 5814.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #1,105 of 2,607
Been there and done that one. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: The Raytheon and CBS-Hytron 5814, both smoke the 7730 in the Pendant. Don't get me wrong, the 7730 is a killer tube with a unique sound, but in both my amps I much prefer the 5814.

Not to mention it's a lot easier to find than the Raytheon. The Ken Rads came in and surprised with how clear the glass is. Very nice mids and bass.F45179DF-2D1D-4E49-95B7-87F1752D38DD.jpeg

Mar 7, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #1,106 of 2,607
Not to mention it's a lot easier to find than the Raytheon. The Ken Rads came in and surprised with how clear the glass is. Very nice mids and bass.
Nice tubes! Ken-Rad tubes never disappoint in the bass department.

Mar 7, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #1,107 of 2,607
Well, it's round 2 with the CBS 12BH7A D Getter, and it's going much better than round 1! :smile: I have a few more hours on it now, and rolled in a more neutral rectifier (Funkwerk Erfurt EZ81 Welded Plate Foil Disc Getter) and this is some seriously good sound. The stage is huge and the immersive factor is high, the notes have good weight, and the detail is as good as I have heard, all while being smooth and fatigue free. The separation and air between instruments is quite nice as well. The CBS 12BH7A is really starting to impress me. . .

20220307_181748.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #1,108 of 2,607
Well folks after a long listening session last night (round 2) with the CBS 12BH7A D Getter, I can honestly say this tube is a keeper. The first thing that jumps out when switching to the 12BH7 is the weight of the notes, followed by the very expansive stage in all directions, then the detail comes through so smoothly it becomes a very addictive listen. The sound is big, smooth and detailed, and it reminds me of my 6SN7 days. The bass is huge, and hits hard and digs deeper than any 12AU7/5814, 12AT7 or 12AX7 I have heard. While listening, I get this feeling that the 12BH7 really is a great combination of the 12A*7 and 6SN7, getting the better traits from each tube type in one tube. For those looking for a huge weighty sound with killer bass, great detail and smooth but very well extended highs, the CBS is where it's at. The 12BH7 has the classic tube sound in that it is quit linear sounding with a huge holographic stage, smooth transients and a very punchy bass. Don't get me wrong about the smoothness, as it's not overdone when paired with the right rectifier and power tubes, and in fact it's one of it's best traits.

I am digging the sound of the 12BH7 so much, that I placed an order last night for a Raytheon Black Plate Square Getter and can't wait to hear that one. I prefer the Raytheon over the CBS with the 5814, and have a really good feeling about the Raytheon 12BH7. More to come. . .

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #1,109 of 2,607
So, it's been an interesting last couple of days with the rolling of the 5814 and 12BH7, and I have learned yet another interesting thing about this amp. Changing the tube type (12AU7, 5814, 12AT7, 12AX7, and 12BH7) for the input tube has the biggest effect on soundstage and dynamics. Changing between different brands within the same tube type has more of a effect on timbre, tonal density and perceived detail. Don't get me wrong, you can still change up the staging a bit (for instance pushing vocals forward. . .) by changing brands of tubes within the same type, but it's not as big of an effect as changing between different tube types.

So with that said, I have noticed that as you go from 12AU7 > 12AT7 > 12AX7 the staging becomes more intimate and the dynamics increase. 12AU7 is like sitting a bit more toward the back of a performance with decent dynamics, and the 12AT7 is like you are in really good seats just a few rows back with better dynamics and the 12AX7 is like sitting front row with the dynamics at full force. Now onto the 5814, and it is quite interesting in that sometimes it does the intimacy staging thing like a 12AX7 and other times the staging sounds more open like a 12AU7, and the dynamics are somewhere in between the two as well. The 5814 does have quite unique staging, and seems to be the most 3D like of them all, and really is a special tube.

. . .and lastly but most definitely not least is the 12BH7, and it's a completely different presentation, combining traits of all the other tubes into one magical experience. The staging expands in all directions and is massive, and as big and expansive as the stage is, it doesn't loose out on detail or dynamics either. Listening with this tube makes the amp sound quite a bit different, and for the better in my opinion. The sound is so powerful and dynamic, with huge stage expansion in all directions and it's as if you are in a really good venue and the best seat in the house, and the detail comes through in spades and is very lifelike sounding. The 12BH7 really has this smooth classic tube sound with good linearity top to bottom, amazing detail, killer impact and note weight, and a huge and highly immersive stage, and sounds the most analog of them all.

Curious if anyone else is rolling with the 12BH7? It's been quite a game changer for me, and I highly recommend giving one a try if you haven't already.

Speaking of the 12BH7. . .I just got notice, my Raytheon 12BH7 Black Plate Square Getter is out for delivery. :smile: More to come. . .

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #1,110 of 2,607
So, it's been an interesting last couple of days with the rolling of the 5814 and 12BH7, and I have learned yet another interesting thing about this amp. Changing the tube type (12AU7, 5814, 12AT7, 12AX7, and 12BH7) for the input tube has the biggest effect on soundstage and dynamics. Changing between different brands within the same tube type has more of a effect on timbre, tonal density and perceived detail. Don't get me wrong, you can still change up the staging a bit (for instance pushing vocals forward. . .) by changing brands of tubes within the same type, but it's not as big of an effect as changing between different tube types.

So with that said, I have noticed that as you go from 12AU7 > 12AT7 > 12AX7 the staging becomes more intimate and the dynamics increase. 12AU7 is like sitting a bit more toward the back of a performance with decent dynamics, and the 12AT7 is like you are in really good seats just a few rows back with better dynamics and the 12AX7 is like sitting front row with the dynamics at full force. Now onto the 5814, and it is quite interesting in that sometimes it does the intimacy staging thing like a 12AX7 and other times the staging sounds more open like a 12AU7, and the dynamics are somewhere in between the two as well. The 5814 does have quite unique staging, and seems to be the most 3D like of them all, and really is a special tube.

. . .and lastly but most definitely not least is the 12BH7, and it's a completely different presentation, combining traits of all the other tubes into one magical experience. The staging expands in all directions and is massive, and as big and expansive as the stage is, it doesn't loose out on detail or dynamics either. Listening with this tube makes the amp sound quite a bit different, and for the better in my opinion. The sound is so powerful and dynamic, with huge stage expansion in all directions and it's as if you are in a really good venue and the best seat in the house, and the detail comes through in spades and is very lifelike sounding. The 12BH7 really has this smooth classic tube sound with good linearity top to bottom, amazing detail, killer impact and note weight, and a huge and highly immersive stage, and sounds the most analog of them all.

Curious if anyone else is rolling with the 12BH7? It's been quite a game changer for me, and I highly recommend giving one a try if you haven't already.

Speaking of the 12BH7. . .I just got notice, my Raytheon 12BH7 Black Plate Square Getter is out for delivery. :smile: More to come. . .

I think what you're describing is relating to the gain of the tubes themselves. X has the most gain and is the most foward 'punchy' sounding of the bunch while AU is a bit lower. It's the same reason why a 6BL7 power tube is a lot more punchy and dynamic sounding than a lowly 6AS7. That doesn't explain why the BH7 does what it does though. It could be due to the larger heater current (it's weird though because the 6SN7 uses the same current as the BH7 but it's basically a larger 12AU tube).

I was actually waiting on your Raytheon 12BH7 review before purchasing some as often is the case with tubes another better one comes along when you find a different series, year, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back