ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Mar 9, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #1,111 of 2,619
I think what you're describing is relating to the gain of the tubes themselves. X has the most gain and is the most foward 'punchy' sounding of the bunch while AU is a bit lower. It's the same reason why a 6BL7 power tube is a lot more punchy and dynamic sounding than a lowly 6AS7. That doesn't explain why the BH7 does what it does though. It could be due to the larger heater current (it's weird though because the 6SN7 uses the same current as the BH7 but it's basically a larger 12AU tube).

I was actually waiting on your Raytheon 12BH7 review before purchasing some as often is the case with tubes another better one comes along when you find a different series, year, etc.
Yep, the gain of the driver tube plays a big role in the Pendant. Also, there are lots more options than Raytheon and CBS in 12BH7 and I plan to try them all. Sylvania makes a black plate that is supposed to be killer, and the RCA black plate gets lots of love in others forums as well. Another one I am keen to try is the Westinghouse black plate. I like a certain sound, and will be pairing this 12BH7 up with others tubes (EL84 and EZ81), so who knows if you will like it in your amp with your preferences. I am just getting started with this tube type, and who knows where I will end up. All I know so far, is that the CBS 12BH7A D Getter sounds fantastic in the Pendant SE with my Atticus, when it's paired up with some Tungsram EL84 Foil O Getters and a Funkwerk Erfurt EZ81 Welded Plate Foil Disc Getter.

I imagine the size of the plates and other internal construction differences of the 12BH7, as well as the extra current is adding to the different experience compared to the other tubes.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #1,112 of 2,619
Yep, the gain of the driver tube plays a big role in the Pendant. Also, there are lots more options than Raytheon and CBS in 12BH7 and I plan to try them all. Sylvania makes a black plate that is supposed to be killer, and the RCA black plate gets lots of love in others forums as well. Another one I am keen to try is the Westinghouse black plate. I like a certain sound, and will be pairing this 12BH7 up with others tubes (EL84 and EZ81), so who knows if you will like it in your amp with your preferences. I am just getting started with this tube type, and who knows where I will end up. All I know so far, is that the CBS 12BH7A D Getter sounds fantastic in the Pendant SE with my Atticus, when it's paired up with some Tungsram EL84 Foil O Getters and a Funkwerk Erfurt EZ81 Welded Plate Foil Disc Getter.
How about a TungSol? Have no idea how it sounds....warming it up now.

12BH7A TungSol.jpg

Mar 9, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #1,113 of 2,619

I imagine the size of the plates and other internal construction differences of the 12BH7, as well as the extra current is adding to the different experience compared to the other tubes.
There's also the 12BZ7. Gain is up there with a 12AX7. My amp can't handle it, but the Pendant might.

I'm still looking for a 12BJ7. Just 'cause with a name like that it's got to be good. 🤣

Mar 9, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #1,114 of 2,619
How about a TungSol? Have no idea how it sounds....warming it up now.

I knew there was another one I was missing in my previous post, and that's the one. Thanks for the reminder! Also, I would love to hear your thoughts on how that Tung Sol compares to the CBS-HYTRON.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #1,115 of 2,619
Raytheon 12BH7A Black Plate Square Getter is in the amp and warming up. Let the fun and burn-in begin. More to come. . .

20220309_172437.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #1,116 of 2,619
Just had a quick listen to make sure the Raytheon 12BH7 was quiet while it's burning in and my jaw is on the floor. I have never heard Grateful Dead sound so freaking lifelike in my life. I got into them a bit late and never saw them live, however I really feel like I am at a show right now with my Atticus on my head. The sound is so effortless and natural, while being highly detailed/transparent and completely fatigue free. The soundstage is huge and open and I really feel like I am standing front row and can reach out and touch the musicians. Jamming to Fire on the Mountain (Live at Barton Hall, Cornell University) and it sounds absolutely sublime. I'm listening to Jerry and the rest of the crew jamming out at the end of the song right now and man I can hear every one doing there thing as if I was there (more than I have ever experienced so far in this hobby) and its so freakin amazing. The separation, space and air between the musicians is just flat out stunning. I really can't believe how good the music sounds right now. . .Just moved on to some Pink Floyd, Breath (in the Air), and damn this is best I have heard this song sound as well. I can already tell this is going to be a late tonight. . . :o2smile:

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #1,117 of 2,619
Just had a quick listen to make sure the Raytheon 12BH7 was quiet while it's burning in and my jaw is on the floor. I have never heard Grateful Dead sound so freaking lifelike in my life. I got into them a bit late and never saw them live, however I really feel like I am at a show right now with my Atticus on my head. The sound is so effortless and natural, while being highly detailed/transparent and completely fatigue free. The soundstage is huge and open and I really feel like I am standing front row and can reach out and touch the musicians. Jamming to Fire on the Mountain (Live at Barton Hall, Cornell University) and it sounds absolutely sublime. I'm listening to Jerry and the rest of the crew jamming out at the end of the song right now and man I can hear every one doing there thing as if I was there (more than I have ever experienced so far in this hobby) and its so freakin amazing. The separation, space and air between the musicians is just flat out stunning. I really can't believe how good the music sounds right now. . .Just moved on to some Pink Floyd, Breath (in the Air), and damn this is best I have heard this song sound as well. I can already tell this is going to be a late tonight. . . :o2smile:
The Raytheon looks like it has that same bulge in the center part of the plates. Way less than an oval or round plate, but convex rather than flat?

Mar 9, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #1,118 of 2,619
I knew there was another one I was missing in my previous post, and that's the one. Thanks for the reminder! Also, I would love to hear your thoughts on how that Tung Sol compares to the CBS-HYTRON.
The Tung Sol sounds so similar to the CBS that I did a closer inspection of the internals, and while they're not perfectly identical they're very close. Plate shape, height, color, clinch holes, getter support and shape....all the same. Some slight differences in the micas, but that could just be some manufacturing evolution. Can't guarantee it, but they look like they were both made by the same manufacturer.

The Tung Sol has a bit of grain overlaying everything right now, but that has improved as it's played. The CBS was in my speaker amp so has many hours on it...no need to break it in. I'll give the Tung Sol another 15-20 hours and see if the last bit of grain goes away, at which time it will probably sound like it was made by CBS. Or vice versa. :laughing:

Next up will be an RCA. Truly flat gray plates, large round getter. Plates are taller than both the Tung Sol and CBS:

12BH7A RCA.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2022 at 5:18 AM Post #1,119 of 2,619
The Raytheon looks like it has that same bulge in the center part of the plates. Way less than an oval or round plate, but convex rather than flat?
You are correct, it does have the same (identical) bulging black plates as the CBS. Also, the house sounds do carry over to the 12BH7 just like they are with the 5814, in that they have a similar sound but the Raytheon is a tad more forward/transparent and more dynamic and exciting than the CBS in both tube types. Both 12BH7 have a similar big and powerful sound, and it's more like tweaking the same sound by rolling between the two. The Raytheon is just a bit more transparent to the point that it becomes absolutely magical in my system.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #1,120 of 2,619
Just checked my ebay watched list and it's amazing how 3 of the listing I had saved for the Raytheon 12BH7A Black Plate Square Getter have ended. . . after I made that post last night. Looks like some people are reading my post, and I hope that tube works for you as good as it has for me! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mar 10, 2022 at 5:33 AM Post #1,121 of 2,619
Up next is the Sylvania 12BH7 Black Plate, and more to come. . .

Mar 11, 2022 at 5:13 AM Post #1,122 of 2,619
So I just put on my Atticus and have started round 2 with the Raytheon 12BH7A Black Plate Square Getter . . . and the sound is exploding out in every direction way outside my head, and everything has it's own space and is so well defined and clear it's nuts. :astonished: The sound is very dynamic, and the bass punch is instant with weight and texture you can feel, followed by insane decay. Also, when the bass kicks in and slams, I can feel the powerful grip the amp has on the drivers and it's a blast. The sound is so effortless, natural and analog sounding with killer transparency, and while listening with this tube the word wow pops into my head from the very start, and I am immediately moving to the music. Everything just sounds so freaking real and right! The stage is holographic beyond belief, and it's quite obvious within only a few minutes of listening that this tube paired with this amp, is on a completely different level than any 12AU7, 12AT7, 12AX7,. . .I have heard. The stage expansion and images are huge, and the sound really is as lifelike as I have ever heard. The way instruments are placed is stunning and how they feel completely fleshed out and have there own space is really something special. As I shuffle through my burn-in playlist, almost all of the songs no matter the genre (even electronica) sound like they are being performed live, and it's such an awesome experience. This tube is legit!

Back to the music. . .:smile:

Mar 12, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #1,123 of 2,619
Yesterday, I decided to hook up my VC's to my Pendant SE and see how they do with the Raytheon 12BH7 Black Oval Plate in the driver spot, and I was not disappointed one bit. :smile: This tube is one that works incredibly well with both my ZMF's, of which I usually prefer a different driver tube for each. Analog, detailed, and spacious with weight and texture you can feel is what I am hearing with both headphones, and I just can't get enough. . .The midrange is to die for folks!

Another thing of note is how quiet the amp is right now, and it's actually the quietest I have ever heard the amp sound.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #1,124 of 2,619
* Disclaimer Alert - I just want to reiterate a bit about how my previous posts can seem a bit exaggerated. I am completely dialed into my system right now, so every little change has become very important and substantial where I am at now in this hobby. As usual take everything I gush about with a grain of salt, as I can get a bit excited. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: However, I also have a pretty good track record for finding good tubes that many would agree have made a big difference. So with that said, someone else needs to jump on the train and roll a 12BH7 in the driver spot in their Pendant, as I don't want to be the only one enjoying the magic it brings!

Mar 12, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #1,125 of 2,619
I have a Hytron and Tung Sol 12bh7, but honestly they never caught on with me. They’re both unfortunately quite noisy, so it’s hard for me to get around that. I remember they did have a more sweet, softer sound. Maybe I should give the Tung Sol another chance - I remember the TS 12au7 black glass was similarly noisy and flat sounding, but then settled into one of my favourite tubes.

I also wanted to mention my newest find, while they’re hopefully still available from East Europe (☹️): Reflecktor 6P14P-k with flying saucer getters. They look like the same getters found in Russian 6as7g equivalents. They were so cheap! I had to check them out. They are the most open, detailed and punchy power tubes I’ve found (yet!), without any of the graininess I associate with brighter tubes like 60s RFT EL84s. To my ears they’re like a brighter, more detailed Sylvania black plate. I think they give a bit more punchiness to ZMFs, and allows LCD4 to see deeper into the music.

I’m sure these aren’t news to many people here, but they’re new to me and I like ‘em!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back