ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Mar 12, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #1,126 of 2,619
I have a Hytron and Tung Sol 12bh7, but honestly they never caught on with me. They’re both unfortunately quite noisy, so it’s hard for me to get around that. I remember they did have a more sweet, softer sound. Maybe I should give the Tung Sol another chance - I remember the TS 12au7 black glass was similarly noisy and flat sounding, but then settled into one of my favourite tubes.

I also wanted to mention my newest find, while they’re hopefully still available from East Europe (☹️): Reflecktor 6P14P-k with flying saucer getters. They look like the same getters found in Russian 6as7g equivalents. They were so cheap! I had to check them out. They are the most open, detailed and punchy power tubes I’ve found (yet!), without any of the graininess I associate with brighter tubes like 60s RFT EL84s. To my ears they’re like a brighter, more detailed Sylvania black plate. I think they give a bit more punchiness to ZMFs, and allows LCD4 to see deeper into the music.

I’m sure these aren’t news to many people here, but they’re new to me and I like ‘em!
Bummer your 12BH7 were noisy, as it's darn near impossible to get a feel for a tube's true sound if it's too noisy. Also, a brighter more detailed Sylvania black plate would be way too much for me, as the Sylvania has too much of all that for me already, so looks like I can skip trying the Russian. Thanks for sharing that, as I was always curious about that one. It's always interesting to me how we hear and prefer things differently, and I am sure the use of 3 different tubes types at once plays a big role as well.

Happy listening with those new tubes.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #1,127 of 2,619
We definitely all hear differently - reading about things here and trying them for myself makes me realize that. My ears are my ears, and no one else’s. But I appreciate all the impressions in this thread, as I think what I like most is hearing about and trying new tubes!

Mar 12, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #1,128 of 2,619
We definitely all hear differently - reading about things here and trying them for myself makes me realize that. My ears are my ears and no one else’s. But I appreciate all the impressions in this thread, as I think what I like most is hearing about and trying new tubes!
This reminds me of the Christmas carol line: 🎵“Do you hear what I hear?”🎶…after which I sing: 🎵 “How the hell should I know?” 🎶🤣🤪

Mar 16, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #1,129 of 2,619
Had another fantastic experience with my Pendant SE and Atticus and thought it's worth sharing. I have been enjoying the 12BH7 so much lately, and decided to try something new last night. From the start, I've been using the High Z (100 ohm) tap exclusively as I always felt like the Low Z tap lacked a bit of weight/warmth. However now that I am using the 12BH7, I am getting more weight and warmth than I was previously getting with the other input tube types, so I decided to give the Low Z tap another try. Well, to my surprise the sound is tight, impactful and detailed, with just the right amount of weight. There is more of a "solid state" sound from the Low Z, with a tighter and less euphoric sound top to bottom, but thanks to the 12BH7 (Specifically the CBS-HYTRON D Getter), the sound is still organic and full enough to sound highly engaging. Now, it feels like I own 2 different amps, and the versatility of this amp never ceases to amaze me. I am loving the Raytheon 12BH7A with the High Z tap, and the CBS-HYTRON 12BH7A with the Low Z tap, and can't wait to try some other 12BH7 tubes soon.

Really looking forward to hearing if anyone else is planning on giving the 12BH7 a try, as it's been quite a game changer for me.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #1,130 of 2,619
Nice try @Wes S, but I’m not biting. I’ve spent enough on tubes recently! Maybe in the future….. I will try the low Z tap though. That’s free 🤣

I’m enjoying a late 50’s GE triple mica black plate 5814A (12AU7)

Mar 16, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #1,131 of 2,619
Nice try @Wes S, but I’m not biting. I’ve spent enough on tubes recently! Maybe in the future….. I will try the low Z tap though. That’s free 🤣

I’m enjoying a late 50’s GE triple mica black plate 5814A (12AU7)
You are missing out. . .In fact, I am enjoying my Pendant and Atticus combo so much with the 12BH7, that I am going to list my RH-5 and VC's this weekend. Yep, the Pendant SE and Atticus have won my heart, and are all I need.

Mar 16, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #1,132 of 2,619
You are missing out. . .In fact, I am enjoying my Pendant and Atticus combo so much with the 12BH7, that I am going to list my RH-5 and VC's this weekend. Yep, the Pendant SE and Atticus have won my heart, and are all I need.
Now that’s a huge compliment. I will definitely have to keep an eye on your sale and also on getting into the 12BH7 train.

Mar 16, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #1,133 of 2,619
Dang it! Here goes more $$$$

Mar 16, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #1,134 of 2,619
😦

Mar 16, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #1,135 of 2,619
I am downsizing due to some external factors/personal reasons, and can only keep one system. . .

Pendant SE + Atticus = engaged beyond belief while listening, and hours of fatigue free listening with plenty of detail, and impact for days

RH-5 + VC = Technically superior, and amazing detail, but just doesn't have the same level of engagement for me, and can become fatiguing over longer sessions as I like to listen loud.

I definitely have enjoyed my time with both systems and have learned a lot from each. However, I listen for pure enjoyment and to be engaged and the Pendant SE and Atticus combo is where it's at for me and the type of music I listen to.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #1,136 of 2,619
I am downsizing due to some external factors/personal reasons, and can only keep one system. . .

Pendant SE + Atticus = engaged beyond belief while listening, and hours of fatigue free listening with plenty of detail, and impact for days

RH-5 + VC = Technically superior, and amazing detail, but just doesn't have the same level of engagement for me, and can become fatiguing over longer sessions as I like to listen loud.

I definitely have enjoyed my time with both systems and have learned a lot from each. However, I listen for pure enjoyment and to be engaged and the Pendant SE and Atticus combo is where it's at for me and the type of music I listen to.
Surprised you never kept an Ori/Aeolus in your stable. I used to have a Camphor Atticus right when it first came out (Vicks vapor rub smell and all) and they looked goofy on my head with how big the pads are but the bass was straight up beastly. I couldn't believe the power it had.

The Pendant is interesting in that it acts very much like a SET amp where it synergizes well with high and low impedance loads very well. In my eyes, if it's doesn't straight out excel in technicalities it does make it an interesting proposition to the more boutique stuff like Eddie Current, DNA, etc.

Mar 16, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #1,137 of 2,619
Surprised you never kept an Ori/Aeolus in your stable. I used to have a Camphor Atticus right when it first came out (Vicks vapor rub smell and all) and they looked goofy on my head with how big the pads are but the bass was straight up beastly. I couldn't believe the power it had.

The Pendant is interesting in that it acts very much like a SET amp where it synergizes well with high and low impedance loads very well. In my eyes, if it's doesn't straight out excel in technicalities it does make it an interesting proposition to the more boutique stuff like Eddie Current, DNA, etc.
Actually I have had both, and the Ori is a fantastic headphone and had I not gotten the Atticus I am sure I would still have it. Also, the Aelous is awesome as well, but I need closebacks for my living situation, so those had to go too.

I have never heard any Eddie Current or DNA stuff but sure would like to some day. As for the Pendant, it's highly capable and has plenty of technical abilities as well, and especially with the right tubes.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #1,138 of 2,619
Anyone else purchase one of these? I figured since I love all the other recommended Brimars I'd enjoy this one too. Sure enough! Unfortunately double (or more) the price of their 4035, 4034, 4033. None of this is logical of course, but I just had to have that yellow T showing! Currently using it with the Sylvania/Baldwin/ZMF NOS black plate 6BQ5 and RFT EZ81 D-foil. I'd love to hear thoughts of how this compares with the other Brimars. This current combo is some of the best bass I've heard on the Pendant SE. Definitely more thickness to the bass, something I really like from the iFi Pro iCan when I had it and have had trouble getting out of the Pendant so far.

The bigger problem is that I've bought many of the ones Wes has recommended and recently went through the thread again trying his different recommendations, and my reaction is always that it sounds amazing! It makes it difficult to settle on any one combo. Good "problem" to have I guess.

IMG_6973.jpeg
IMG_6975.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #1,139 of 2,619
It's official the RH-5 and VC are getting listed, and this system below is all I want/need. :o2smile:

Sonnet Hermes > Sonnet Morpheus > ZMF Pendant SE > ZMF Atticus = My Endgame

20220317_041129.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #1,140 of 2,619
Anyone else purchase one of these? I figured since I love all the other recommended Brimars I'd enjoy this one too. Sure enough! Unfortunately double (or more) the price of their 4035, 4034, 4033. None of this is logical of course, but I just had to have that yellow T showing! Currently using it with the Sylvania/Baldwin/ZMF NOS black plate 6BQ5 and RFT EZ81 D-foil. I'd love to hear thoughts of how this compares with the other Brimars. This current combo is some of the best bass I've heard on the Pendant SE. Definitely more thickness to the bass, something I really like from the iFi Pro iCan when I had it and have had trouble getting out of the Pendant so far.

The bigger problem is that I've bought many of the ones Wes has recommended and recently went through the thread again trying his different recommendations, and my reaction is always that it sounds amazing! It makes it difficult to settle on any one combo. Good "problem" to have I guess.

That is the only Brimar and I mean literally only one I have not heard, and have always wanted to but it's just too pricey for me. I do have it on good authority, if you like the Brimar "house sound" that is the best sounding and most transparent version ever made. So, congrats on getting a killer tube, that should last you forever too.

Knowing the sound of your other tubes and the "house sound" of Brimar, I bet that does sound awesome!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back