ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Oct 18, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #106 of 2,507
Streamer DAC than using a cellphone as a remote to tidal is way better/faster than using a clunky DAP with weak wifi and a tiny screen. I used to own R6 Pro. The weak wifi signal was one of the biggest letdown for me.

Oct 18, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #107 of 2,507
Yes, I understand now. Thing is I don’t want my phone anywhere near me when I’m listening to music. The potential for distraction is enormous!

Some DAPs may sound good but they are all clunky with poor UI and overall weak spec compared to a decent phone. Unless you're limited by space or ultra portability is a must for you, streamer plus cellphone is way better choice IMO.

Oct 18, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #108 of 2,507
Got a pair of ZMF VO's on the way in a few weeks and looking for some fun tubes to dive into with the Leeloo (Pendant with solid state rec) when they come in. 3D/Holographic with tight detailed bass, punchy with good detail retrieval would be nice. Don't listen to too much audiophile preferred music.. more along the lines of modern day industrial / electronica and some metal from time to time. (also on this weird crazed journey of obtaining a super immersive setup for single player gaming)
Right now I have a pair of the Sovtek EL84's and Telefunken Black Diamond 12AX7.

on my list to get so far I have:

PSVANE 12AX7-TII
JJ ECC99
Gold Lion EL84

Was curious if you guys would have any other recommendations:smile:

Oct 19, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #113 of 2,507
" 3D/Holographic with tight detailed bass, punchy with good detail retrieval..."

Sounds to me like you want Tungsram for the EL84s, and a 60's Heerlen Holland (Amperex Bugle Boy or Philips Miniwatt, for example) for the other tube.
I second the Tungsram EL84's and have paired them with Amperex 7316 and Miniwatt with good results.
I also like the Valvo 6201 and Raytheon 7730 with the Tungsrams. Heck, ALL these combo's are really good and I would be OK with any of them!

Awesome! I'll grab a set of the Tungsram EL84's and keep an eye out for a Amperex bugle boy or 7316 and maybe a Raytheon while im at it, the more options the better to tune that preferred sound in just right :smile:

Oct 20, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #115 of 2,507
Alright, cool!
I managed to grab a bunch of them
- Tungsram EL84/6BQ5
- Gold Lion EL84/6BQ5
- Sylvania Black plate Baldwin EL84/6BQ5
- JJ ECC99
- Raytheon 5751 windmill getter
- Amperex 7316
- Psvane 12AX7-TII

Along with 5 pairs of pads for the Verite Open backs, it should keep me busy mix and matching for some time lol

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #116 of 2,507
For me, part of the fun is the tube rolling. Every few months I buy a new tube to try out. Its gives a new flavor to the sound. No flavor is wrong, to each their own preferences.

Oct 20, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #117 of 2,507
That’s actually a really great start. I also found Baldwin tubes of all kinds to be good value. Now just keep going, as I have, ignoring the bank telling you you’re bankrupt, until you have every tube ever. It’s the only way to be sure :wink:

Oct 30, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #120 of 2,507
Does anyone have experience with the Pendant and the Cayin HA-1A Mk2? They use the same tubes, wonder how they compare. Thanks.

I just reviewed the Pendant over at Darko.Audio if you want to see my take on it (spoiler: loved it).

I also own the Cayin HA-1A Mk2 yet didn't even consider the fact that they use similar tubes. They are quite different sounding amps though. In general I find the Pendant faster, more detailed, and possessing a blacker background. The Cayin is more prone to euphonic tube bloom and is somewhat warmer from top to bottom.

Note that both amps can change character fairly drastically with tube rolling, with the Cayin being perhaps the most variable amp I've heard when it comes to swapping tubes. So there's lots of room for adjustments and personalization. Still, the Pendant is always going to be quieter and probably faster too, and I feel it is worth the extra cost in most situations. Love the Cayin amp for what it is but the Pendant is a higher level altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back