ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Nov 3, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #121 of 2,607
She finally arrived! Pretty sure she came by carrier pigeon. It took 10 days to get from California to Connecticut. Regardless, she's in the house! I'm just starting with the stock JJ tubes. I have some others to roll in already, but will wait a little bit and just run for a while on the stock JJ's. No hum or hiss, very quite. Sounds beautiful just turning on for the first time and I expect will get better with some burn in time. I'm one happy camper. Oh, the chassis is camphor burl and the VC's are camphor burl with a light mahogany stain. The stand is home made and is curly maple.
IMG_1950.jpeg
IMG_1951.jpeg
IMG_1952.jpeg
IMG_1950.jpeg
IMG_1951.jpeg
IMG_1952.jpeg

Nov 3, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #122 of 2,607
She finally arrived! Pretty sure she came by carrier pigeon. It took 10 days to get from California to Connecticut. Regardless, she's in the house! I'm just starting with the stock JJ tubes. I have some others to roll in already, but will wait a little bit and just run for a while on the stock JJ's. No hum or hiss, very quite. Sounds beautiful just turning on for the first time and I expect will get better with some burn in time. I'm one happy camper. Oh, the chassis is camphor burl and the VC's are camphor burl with a light mahogany stain. The stand is home made and is curly maple.IMG_1950.jpegIMG_1951.jpegIMG_1952.jpegIMG_1950.jpegIMG_1951.jpegIMG_1952.jpeg

That Camphor Burl Pendant 🤩🤩

Is there any way I can send mine back and have it upgraded to the camphor burl chassis? Please..... 🤣

Nov 3, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #123 of 2,607
She finally arrived! Pretty sure she came by carrier pigeon. It took 10 days to get from California to Connecticut. Regardless, she's in the house! I'm just starting with the stock JJ tubes. I have some others to roll in already, but will wait a little bit and just run for a while on the stock JJ's. No hum or hiss, very quite. Sounds beautiful just turning on for the first time and I expect will get better with some burn in time. I'm one happy camper. Oh, the chassis is camphor burl and the VC's are camphor burl with a light mahogany stain. The stand is home made and is curly maple.

Nice! Glad you're liking it. And good to hear you're not experiencing any noise issues. I haven't turned mine on in a while because no matter what i do, I can't get past the low level hum. You’re gonna have fun tube rolling.

Nov 3, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #124 of 2,607
She's a beauty for sure! I asked for something that would complement the camphor burl VC's. This is what Zach sent. Awesome choice. What a week! I received the VC's and Pendant two days apart. Christmas in November!

Nov 3, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #125 of 2,607
She's a beauty for sure! I asked for something that would complement the camphor burl VC's. This is what Zach sent. Awesome choice. What a week! I received the VC's and Pendant two days apart. Christmas in November!
Technically ampsandsound sent it. It came straight from California.

Nov 3, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #126 of 2,607
She finally arrived! Pretty sure she came by carrier pigeon. It took 10 days to get from California to Connecticut. Regardless, she's in the house! I'm just starting with the stock JJ tubes. I have some others to roll in already, but will wait a little bit and just run for a while on the stock JJ's. No hum or hiss, very quite. Sounds beautiful just turning on for the first time and I expect will get better with some burn in time. I'm one happy camper. Oh, the chassis is camphor burl and the VC's are camphor burl with a light mahogany stain. The stand is home made and is curly maple

Looking really nice,@4LoveOfSound! Good to see that the glass stand had worked out for your Pendant as well.

Nov 4, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #127 of 2,607
@zach915m, how do you connect your Yggy to the Pendant? Do you use the RCA out on the Yggy or XLR to RCA converter?

Nov 7, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #129 of 2,607
Super excited to be joining this thread, big thanks to @zach915m and @ampsandsound I received a beautiful hand crafted/built Pendant. Looking forward to sharing my impressions, learn from some of you that have been tube rolling with it for some time now and sharing what I find from rolling different tubes and DACS. I will be filming a full review for YouTube as well. Also thinking about doing a live stream to chat it up about the amp very soon. Quick iPhone snap of some of my current desktop setup.

Attachments

• 0D236BEB-8D25-4817-943B-697006A16D65.jpeg
    0D236BEB-8D25-4817-943B-697006A16D65.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Nov 7, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #130 of 2,607
That's another beautiful camphor burl Pendant! I was quite happy with the stock JJ tubes and could live with them alone. However, I did buy some NOS. Added a set of black plate Hammond EL84 (RCA made I believe). Those made the music much more holographic. I'm also trying out a Mullard 12AU7. So far seems to have similar bass but overall thicker sounding. Not sure it's my cup of tea. Maybe for bright sounding recordings, but for everyday use, not sure yet. I also have a black plate RCA Command series 12AT7 to try.

Nov 7, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #131 of 2,607
That's another beautiful camphor burl Pendant! I was quite happy with the stock JJ tubes and could live with them alone. However, I did buy some NOS. Added a set of black plate Hammond EL84 (RCA made I believe). Those made the music much more holographic. I'm also trying out a Mullard 12AU7. So far seems to have similar bass but overall thicker sounding. Not sure it's my cup of tea. Maybe for bright sounding recordings, but for everyday use, not sure yet. I also have a black plate RCA Command series 12AT7 to try.

I tried a pair of old school Mullard 12AU7 with my Pendant and had the same impression on the sound. I did like that tube with my old Bottlehead Crack, but it didn't meet expectations for this amp. My favorite 12AU7 input tubes have been vintage Amperex Bugle Boy followed by Siemens chrome tops and Telefunken smooth plates.

Nov 8, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #132 of 2,607
Thanks for the ideas. I have a set of RCA 6922 made by Amperex Holland that I really liked in the LP, so I bet I would like the Amperex 12AU7. I couldn't take it. I pulled the Mullard out and put the RCA in.... ahhhhhhh much better.

Nov 8, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #133 of 2,607
Valvo 6201 sound really nice in the Pendant are fairly easy to find. I have white and blue label with the same etched production code and I can not hear a difference.
Raytheon 7728 or 7730 are 2 other harder to find tubes that are worth the hunt.

If I did not have these I'd be fine with many 12AU7 (7316) /12AT7 that work well.

Nov 14, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #134 of 2,607
@ampsandsound, you mentioned Sylvania black plate tubes. I see short and long plates. Do you have a preference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back