ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
May 18, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #2,191 of 2,548
All this talk of red versus black made me want to roll yellow (King of dynamics and resolution in my book. I’m curious how it stacks up against a red label though)

IMG_3396.jpeg

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #2,192 of 2,548
Alright, I was able to get some listening in tonight so here are my impressions, which I'm sure will change and eveolve the more time I get to compare these two.

First of all, the changes are VERY subtle. They're both G73-R tubes, both amazing, but one leans into one direction while the other into a slightly different direction. Also keep in mind that my black label is much more played in, so that could be a factor. I used my Auteur Classics for the comparison, as they're the headphones I listen to the most.

Ok so what I'm hearing from the red label: more bass level and impact, slightly more precise imaging, a little more "shine" (not really emphasis) on the treble region, and a slightly enhanced sense of space and separation. It's subtle. To me it just gives me this impression overall. Things are spaced apart better, each element more easily identified and delineated, and there's this sense of subtle vibrancy to everything that's not quite treble elevation, yet it's noticeable and quite beautiful. The center image is likewise more precise, which is something I look for.

By contract, the black label is more cohesive, smooth, and with a more intimate midrange and slightly slower sound. The edges of instruments are more blurred as a result, less defined. It's laid back in comparison, though if you know these G73-R tubes, you know how damned dynamic they are. The black label is just ever so slightly less so than the red label. I think @4LoveOfSound said something like "it slows down the music enough to pick apart every detail." That's such a fantastic way to put what the black label G73-R does into words. It's also dead silent. I'm still getting a level of hiss from the red label, though it's subtle...especially with my bedroom window open lol

I can't pick a winner. I like the red label for the engagement and space, and the black label for the blackness of background, smoothness, and cohesion. I'll probably be sticking with the red label for a while (unless I ask Vuong for a hiss free tube) since it's the new sound. I also find myself wanting more "engagement" these days, so the red label fits the bill big time. I hope you all get to try one!

Great insight man, thank you for taking the time. Love that pic! The G73-R hype is real. It's a very real improvement across the board from every other input tube I've had. At one point I had owned a handwritten variant of the 73R, but it wasn't anywhere as profound as this.

And as I'm discovering, it makes all my power tubes sound better as well, accentuating their individual characteristics in the best ways.

With my new red label I'm noticing a really great sense of staging and imaging, as you pointed out. 'Everything in its right place' says Radiohead – and that describes this tube for me. Plus some fantastic realism and dimensionality. I listen to a healthy dose of electronic music so the bass, pacing, detail, incisiveness yet naturalness of the red label might be the one for me vs black. This is a seriously good tube!

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #2,193 of 2,548
Nice comparison! Maybe someday, I'm still watching the auctions! It's kind of funny. You can pretty much describe the differences between the ZMF VO and AO in the same way! The VO would be the red label and the AO would be the black label. Just like you say you can't pick a winner, I can't pick a winner between the two headphones.
Haha yes! Except that those differences are MUCH more apparent 😆 I’d love to get into flagship headphone territory again someday, being tempted by so many VO’s and AO’s on the classifieds. I have my heart set on the Caldera eventually, but it may be a ways off.
At one point I had owned a handwritten variant of the 73R, but it wasn't anywhere as profound as this.
That’s not the first time I’ve heard this! A friend of mine who had a handwritten G73-R also didn’t love it. Glad you found the real deal (in more ways than one).

May 18, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #2,194 of 2,548
Haha yes! Except that those differences are MUCH more apparent 😆 I’d love to get into flagship headphone territory again someday, being tempted by so many VO’s and AO’s on the classifieds. I have my heart set on the Caldera eventually, but it may be a ways off.
Intrigued by the Caldera as well. Based on what little I've read, it sounds like it might be the perfect sound signature for me. The 1000se with my current tubes and setup sounds fabulous on this amp.

That’s not the first time I’ve heard this! A friend of mine who had a handwritten G73-R also didn’t love it. Glad you found the real deal (in more ways than one).
When I wrote that I didn't think it was all that special many months ago here everyone thought I was nuts! And based on what I'm hearing from the red label, I can understand why. I don't think it was widely known at the time that different variations could differ so noticeably.

May 18, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #2,195 of 2,548
Yellow Tip “Selected Tube” ECC83 / Valvo Sittards EL84’s + AC is an incredible combo (I think I may prefer it better than G73-R black label in this instance)

The Yellow Tip in general is a better match with the AC. Tightens up the bass a bit, more articulated down low and it’s a more resolving input tube (bass is a bit muddy with the black label G73-R and stock pads). Black label G73-R is a great match with the VO since it’s more laid back and musical. VO doesn’t need any help with dynamics, speed or resolution so Yellow Tip is overkill but could work depending on power tubes

Overall I think I may leave the Yellow Tip in for an awhile and experiment. It beats the G73-R depending on certain match ups with power tubes and headphones

May 19, 2023 at 12:32 AM Post #2,196 of 2,548
Overall I think I may leave the Yellow Tip in for an awhile and experiment. It beats the G73-R depending on certain match ups with power tubes and headphones
Gasp! Blasphemy!! Haha nice to know synergy is still a thing, and being able to tube roll is just plain fun. I'm back to the black label tonight. The red label seemed a bit too sharp for me today for some reason.

May 19, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #2,197 of 2,548
Intrigued by the Caldera as well. Based on what little I've read, it sounds like it might be the perfect sound signature for me. The 1000se with my current tubes and setup sounds fabulous on this amp.
There's a deal on the 1000SE on Hifiman's website now, B-stock for $1,899...I know I don't really have the cash for it, but I'm seriously tempted!

May 19, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #2,198 of 2,548
Gasp! Blasphemy!! Haha nice to know synergy is still a thing, and being able to tube roll is just plain fun. I'm back to the black label tonight. The red label seemed a bit too sharp for me today for some reason.
Do you have the Valvo Ellipticals in? Try the red label with a different set of driver tubes

Nice thing about the Yellow Tip as an input is it’s highly dynamic, resolving but never harsh or fatiguing. It’s an ECC83 so slightly higher gain than a G73-R but it’s got the absolute blackest of backgrounds

May 19, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #2,199 of 2,548
Do you have the Valvo Ellipticals in? Try the red label with a different set of driver tubes

Nice thing about the Yellow Tip as an input is it’s highly dynamic, resolving but never harsh or fatiguing. It’s an ECC83 so slightly higher gain than a G73-R but it’s got the absolute blackest of backgrounds
Yeah I do, but the only other pair of power tubes I have are the Amperex D getters, and I’m really not much of a fan of their sound anymore.

May 19, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #2,200 of 2,548
There's a deal on the 1000SE on Hifiman's website now, B-stock for $1,899...I know I don't really have the cash for it, but I'm seriously tempted!
I saw that. That is an absolute bonkers price at almost half off and I'd encourage anyone that is curious about those cans to go for it. Still comes with a 30 day trial and the full 3 year warranty AFAIK. Hard to beat! And they sound great on the Pendant.

Yeah I do, but the only other pair of power tubes I have are the Amperex D getters, and I’m really not much of a fan of their sound anymore.
I'm finding it fun and interesting cycling through the two pairs of Valvos and the Funkwerk foil/welded pair I have. The Valvos each have their own unique character that make them both worth playing. Throwing the Funkwerks in is also amazing and a nice contrast to the Valvos. The G73-R seems to bring out the best qualities of any driver tubes I use.

Don't know if you're aware of these or interested, but I bought a pair of these a while back and they're similar to my Funkwerk welded/foil getter pair and sound fabulous in that robust linear RFT way. Something different than the Valvos and excellent in their own right. In case you're looking for a different flavor and worthy alternative to the Valvos!

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #2,201 of 2,548
Don't know if you're aware of these or interested, but I bought a pair of these a while back and they're similar to my Funkwerk welded/foil getter pair and sound fabulous in that robust linear RFT way. Something different than the Valvos and excellent in their own right. In case you're looking for a different flavor and worthy alternative to the Valvos!
Oh cool! They look interesting. I do have an RFT foil getter EZ81, so I know a little what that "robust linear" house sound is about. It's great! I'll consider these...

May 23, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #2,202 of 2,548
Glad I left the Yellow Tip in. Being a higher gain input tube it handles the Caldera much better than the G73-R (which sounded slightly veiled)

Yellow Tip “Selected Tube” ECC83 / Valvo Sittards EL84’s + Caldera is the best I have heard the Caldera sound on the Pendant. May swap out the Valvos later for my RFT EL84’s (WPFDG) as I just scored a backup pair after months of searching.

May 23, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #2,203 of 2,548
May 23, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #2,204 of 2,548
May 25, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #2,205 of 2,548
Todays tube roll. Highly recommended for the select few who have a Telefunken ECC83 Grass Instrument Selected Tube “Yellow Tip” & RFT EL84 (Welded Plate Foil Disc Getters)

This particular combo is now my favorite roll with the Atrium Closed.

The AC is the most resolving I have heard it (on par with the Caldera which I didn’t think was possible), lush, creamy mids, extended sparkling highs but never fatiguing. Best of all bass is articulated, not bloomy or bleeding into the mids. Sub-bass is plentiful. Perfect with the stock lamb pads. I’m in love with this combo. Holographic stage (which really opens up) which makes for a very engaging listen, it really takes the AC to another level.

IMG_3412.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back