ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Jul 20, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #1,561 of 2,619
I am about 15 hours in with the AM M1 fuse, and I am completely blown away with what I am hearing. It sounds as if I have "pierced the veil", as in going from sounding very close to lifelike while listening to well recorded tracks (before the fuse), to sounding like it's being performed live and in my room (with the M1). This fuse is freaking legit folks, and I can't stop listening. All my favorite songs sound better than ever, and I am hearing deeper into the recordings with little nuances and detail much more clearly audible now, of which really adds to the sense of being there.

I have never heard Jeff Buckley's voice sound so hauntingly clean, clear and lifelike as it does now, and it's breathtaking. I can't wait to hear what this thing can do, with more burn-in!

More to come, but for now it's back to the music. . .

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #1,562 of 2,619
I am about 15 hours in with the AM M1 fuse, and I am completely blown away with what I am hearing. It sounds as if I have "pierced the veil", as in going from sounding very close to lifelike while listening to well recorded tracks (before the fuse), to sounding like it's being performed live and in my room (with the M1). This fuse is freaking legit folks, and I can't stop listening. All my favorite songs sound better than ever, and I am hearing deeper into the recordings with little nuances and detail much more clearly audible now, of which really adds to the sense of being there.

I have never heard Jeff Buckley's voice sound so hauntingly clean, clear and lifelike as it does now, and it's breathtaking. I can't wait to hear what this thing can do, with more burn-in!

More to come, but for now it's back to the music. . .
I can’t wait to hear the burn-in results here. I’d also be curious to hear your recommendation on which to buy first: M1 fuse or the G73R?

Lastly, does anyone know if the M1 can be used on the Pendant OG?

Jul 23, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #1,563 of 2,619
I can’t wait to hear the burn-in results here. I’d also be curious to hear your recommendation on which to buy first: M1 fuse or the G73R?

Lastly, does anyone know if the M1 can be used on the Pendant OG?
I have another 70 plus hours on the fuse now, and what I am hearing is flat out incredible. I will share more shortly, but as of right now it definitely gets a big rec from me. As for the G73R or the M1 first, that is a tough call as they both influence the sound dramatically in a similar way, as in all parts of the sound and then some you did not even think of, or even think were possible improve as well. So, it really is a tough call, and I started with the tube first and then the fuse, and could clearly hear what both brought to the table (spoiler alert they are a match made in Heaven). My suggestion would be to buy the G73R first as they are not the easiest to find and are not going to get any easier as more people find out about this tube, and burn that in for a good 100 hours, and then go for the fuse. I am not 100% sure on the fuse size for the OG, but I would imagine it's the same for the SE. I would email Justin @ AmpsandSound and ask about the fuse size just to be sure, or you can just pull it out and look at the numbers on it to verify as well. The fuse is super easy to remove and install.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #1,564 of 2,619
I didn‘t go with the G73R or the fuse. I ordered the Less Is More, affectionately known as the LIM, update for my first generation Schiit Yggdrasil. I have already installed the Unison USB update, which made a huge difference. This will bring my Yggy up to date. Oh, and a few weeks ago, I bought a lot of 5, 1951 Ken-Rad/GE 5814’s LOL. They were to cheap to pass up. Now I have a backup and a backup for my backup and a backup for that backup and a backup for that backup plus a backup for that backup with 4 more on top of that just in case. I should be good for a while. To my hording defense, I do run them in two amps. I also run them in my Rogue Audio RH5 which takes a pair. So I really don’t have that many spares, at least that’s what I’m telling myself!

Jul 26, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #1,565 of 2,619
I didn‘t go with the G73R or the fuse. I ordered the Less Is More, affectionately known as the LIM, update for my first generation Schiit Yggdrasil. I have already installed the Unison USB update, which made a huge difference. This will bring my Yggy up to date. Oh, and a few weeks ago, I bought a lot of 5, 1951 Ken-Rad/GE 5814’s LOL. They were to cheap to pass up. Now I have a backup and a backup for my backup and a backup for that backup and a backup for that backup plus a backup for that backup with 4 more on top of that just in case. I should be good for a while. To my hording defense, I do run them in two amps. I also run them in my Rogue Audio RH5 which takes a pair. So I really don’t have that many spares, at least that’s what I’m telling myself!
Nice upgrade! The DAC is such an important part of the chain. Just throwing this out there, the Audio Magic M1 fuse is insane and worth every cent and then some. I feel like I am finally hearing the full potential of the Pendant after the swap, and the improvements are startling to say the least. I really think you would be amazed at what it can do, and I can't recommend this fuse enough. Words can't describe well enough the improvements I hear with this fuse, and I have never felt so connected and engaged with the artist and their music as I do now.

Jul 26, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #1,566 of 2,619
Well @Wes S , you got me to buy the purple fuse for the Rogue, I will probably get the M1. Money is a little tight right now, so I need to space out my purchases more. I felt the DAC update impacts a couple systems so I went with that first.

Jul 26, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #1,567 of 2,619
“The DAC is such an important part of the chain”. Indeed!…And like any ‘upstream’ component in the chain, the DC ‘quality’ is paramount for that component to perform at its best. Thus, using Audio Envy power cords, Audio Magic / Synergistic Research fuses only improves ‘upstream’ component sonic performance - to my ears! Obviously, to @Wes S ’ ears!

Jul 26, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #1,568 of 2,619
Really liked the SR Purple but was able to exchange it for the Audio Magic M1 (thanks to owner Alfred Kainz of highend-electronics inc..) Like the M1 better, although you benefit greatly by either. On my rig (Schiit Yggy, Woo Audio WA2, Senn HD800S) and with the fuse in the WA2, the M1 outperforms the SRP by adding weight/density and a heightened sense of "being there" across the spectrum...with the M1's bass being the most noticeable difference in the comparison. Vocals close behind.
Then for good measure I joined the sheep and upgraded from the Telefunken ECC801S's to the "Super Telefunken" G73R's. All I can say is, "Baaaaa !!!" Total game changer...and I've loved the Tele ECC801S's for a very long time. Divorce imminent if wifey finds out what I paid for the G73R's
The really great thing is I'm only 50 hours into the M1/G73R changeover. So it's only gonna get better.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #1,570 of 2,619

An interview with Justin Weber of Ampsandsound and some information on the LEELOO amplifier which is a continuation of the Pendant SE.

Cool. Great seeing the oracle behind the curtain talking shop. Anyone know the differences between the Pendant SE and the Leloo? Are there differences? Physically and spec-wise they appear the same, except for binding posts on the Leloo.

Jul 28, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #1,572 of 2,619
Cool. Great seeing the oracle behind the curtain talking shop. Anyone know the differences between the Pendant SE and the Leloo? Are there differences? Physically and spec-wise they appear the same, except for binding posts on the Leloo.
The Leloo also has a redesigned choke and bigger power supply. Seems like they just beefed it up a bit for speaker use, and I would imagine they sound quite similar with headphones.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #1,573 of 2,619
Any tube combo recommendations for metal under 200$? Thinking about getting the pendant se soon
Welcome to the Pendant family, In my opinion for your budget, a full set of RFT NOS will do the job. Thats the best set I have found for the money.
- RFT 12au7 extra support rod $65
- RFT EL84 welded plates $100
- RFT EZ81 $26.95
TOTAL: $191.95

The sound of that set in my Pendant is (snappy, tonally balanced, non sibilant with lots of impact)

There are better sets and combinations, nevertheless... to my ears nothing better for $200

Other options are the Baldwins (Sylvania) on sale in the ZMF website and they also have RFT EZ81´s. I have the green Baldwins and are quite good, but I find the RFT welded plate much better. The sound is not exactly the same, but very similar to my Telefunken EL84´s for 1/3 the price.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #1,574 of 2,619
Welcome to the Pendant family, In my opinion for your budget, a full set of RFT NOS will do the job. Thats the best set I have found for the money.
- RFT EZ81 $26.95

The sound of that set in my Pendant is (snappy, tonally balanced, non sibilant with lots of impact)

There are better sets and combinations, nevertheless... to my ears nothing better for $200

Other options are the Baldwins (Sylvania) on sale in the ZMF website and they also have RFT EZ81´s. I have the green Baldwins and are quite good, but I find the RFT welded plate much better. The sound is not exactly the same, but very similar to my Telefunken EL84´s for 1/3 the price.
Great choices !! Not just for Pendant, but for Quicksilver Audio, Woo WA2, WA3, WA6…😄.

Jul 28, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #1,575 of 2,619
- RFT EZ81 $26.95

Excellent suggestions. I just wanted to add that, for metal, any Russian tubes seem to have a bit more what I call grit. Or maybe it's texture. In any case, they really make guitars crunch, like you can reach and grab the guitar notes.

My favourites for this are from The Tube Store: their Preferred Series 7189 are Russian 6p14p-ev tubes, which are beefier El84s. Paired with a warmer input tube, say a Brimar 6060, makes for the best metal setup I've heard. Period. From any amp at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back