ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Jul 9, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #1,531 of 2,606
You know, we’ve talked about cable upgrades, has anyone tried upgrading their fuse? The Synergistic Research Purple and Orange fuses seem to get a lot of nods.
I've had their Blue fuses for years (which at the time was their best) in all my gear that I can swap fuses. Always made a slight but noticeably positive difference. Will likely upgrade the Pendant fuse in the future. I was also wondering about the 750ma rating vs 800ma that's offered by SR, but I can't imagine the 50ma difference being consequential. Even using a 1a fuse would probably be fine.

IMO this is a smaller upgrade vs other things you can do, like rolling better tubes for instance. But can make a positive difference overall.
but I know that many actually go up a size with Audio Grade fuses quite often as they are said to be rated conservatively.
Have also heard this. I have a higher rated fuse in my music server than it came with. I can't remember who said it, maybe the manufacturer, but I know this was recommended.

Jul 9, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #1,532 of 2,606
@Wes S @4LoveOfSound Could I please get some help identifying these tubes? They are labeled ‘’GE’’ and the seller claims that they are “GE/Ken-Rad pewter plates with silver clips and square getters”. They test at 90/90 and 92/92 respectively. What think ye?
GE Ken Rad pewter plates with silver clips and square getters.jpgGE Ken Rad pewter plates with silver clips and square getters 2.jpg
Thank you (-:
Sorry, I haven’t been on in a while. Busy week. Those look like my Ken-Rad/GE pewter plates.

Jul 10, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #1,533 of 2,606
Fuses????
Not a rabbit hole I'm going down. Heck, I can't see power cords and wall outlets so a fuse is a NO-GO for this guy!

One mans opinion..............
My man, in my opinion you are missing out, and especially with the caliber of gear you have. Power cables, IC's, ethernet cable, fuses, and tubes all get equal love from me and can all make a substantial difference (good or bad) in my opinion.

Wall outlets and power conditioning are up next for me. . .

Got to love this hobby, and it seems one can take it as far as they want and then some, or be content with what they have and just enjoy the music.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #1,535 of 2,606
My man, in my opinion you are missing out, and especially with the caliber of gear you have. Power cables, IC's, ethernet cable, fuses, and tubes all get equal love from me and can all make a substantial difference (good or bad) in my opinion.

Wall outlets and power conditioning are up next for me. . .

Got to love this hobby, and it seems one can take it as far as they want and then some, or be content with what they have and just enjoy the music.
Yeah I can't explain it but I can sure hear it. As Jonathan C said to me when I was dragging my feet on the Synergistic Research Purple fuse...

"One has to be deaf or dead to not hear staggering improvements from SRP. $200 may seem a lot to the fuse cynics. To me, absolutely worth it!"

That pretty much says it all. As you were, men.

Jul 10, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #1,536 of 2,606
I am not a EE but Power conditioners, tubes and IC's is as far as I'm willing to go.:smile:
It's nuts and controversial no doubt, especially things like ethernet cables and fuses, but try before you decry :)

Jul 10, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #1,538 of 2,606
@Wes S I recently purchased the Furman PL-8C Power Conditioner and I’m very happy with it. I am using it exclusively for both of my amplifiers and my DAC. It’s list price is $249, but it can be found for between $150 to $200.
PL-8C-2.jpg

Jul 10, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #1,539 of 2,606
And here is another Furman: I use this one. [Six sockets in back]
082B705C-239E-4BE3-A7BF-B1CF2EA71C69.png

Jul 10, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #1,541 of 2,606
I like a power conditioner which will take an upgraded power cord. I don't like
being stuck with the stock cord attached. I mean, isn't that the whole point ?
Even newborns have the umbilical cord removed…👨‍⚕️👩‍⚕️🩺😄

Jul 10, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #1,542 of 2,606
And here is another Furman: I use this one. [Six sockets in back]082B705C-239E-4BE3-A7BF-B1CF2EA71C69.png

A pair of Ye Olde Shunyata Hydra 2's. Still do the job after all these years...

Hydra Stack.jpg

Jul 11, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #1,543 of 2,606
For those interested in upgrading the fuse on the Pendant SE, I got confirmation from Justin (Ampsandsound) that the 800ma fuse is ok to use. :smiley:

So, I am definitely upgrading the fuse in mine, however I did some research yesterday and it appears there is a new "King" in the world of audiophile grade fuses and the SR Purple is not it anymore. The new "King" of the fuse world, the Audio Magic Masterpiece M1 Beeswax, is the one I will be going with very soon.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #1,544 of 2,606
Order has been placed for an Audio Magic M1 fuse. :grin: Fun times ahead. . .

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #1,545 of 2,606
Order has been placed for an SR Purple fuse. Shipped today. 30-day return policy, so I may return it for the M1. I will be most interested to see what Wesley has to say about the M1. The M1 has an 8-14 day manufacture/wait time. This will be my first time trying a fuse upgrade, and my anticipation prevented me from waiting for the M1. Fun times ahead for me, too. :grin: Impressions pending.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back