ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Aug 24, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #1,651 of 2,544
How do you find the Bocote @Hansotek
 and @Hisoundfi
?

I was set on the Omni Blackwood but unfortunately Zach is out of stock, so he suggested the Bocote as an alternative, this was my backup choice funnily enough.

I'm close to pulling the trigger but just ironing a couple of details out, so I'm interested in your thoughts

Bocote and Blackwood are pretty close in sound. They are my two favorite woods, personally. As I understand it, Blackwood is the hardest of any of the Omni wood options, and so it has a the quickest decay and the most sparkly treble. Bocote is the second hardest, so the treble is slightly smoother and the decay is slightly longer vs. Blackwood. IMO, this is the sweet spot because it still feels quick and incisive like the Blackwood, but it is never harsh and it has a slight pinch of extra body to it.

Both are very good choices.

Aug 30, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #1,653 of 2,544

Really enjoying the Cocobolo + Liquid Carbon combo with Alice In Chains' first two albums today. Letting off some of that thesis stress steam. The Omni does so incredibly well with the vocal harmonies and Layne's strong voice.

Aug 30, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #1,654 of 2,544

Really enjoying the Cocobolo + Liquid Carbon combo with Alice In Chains' first two albums today. Letting off some of that thesis stress steam. The Omni does so incredibly well with the vocal harmonies and Layne's strong voice.

RIP probably the most unique and powerful vocalists in my opinion.

I have the carbon with the omni too. Sounds nice.

Sep 1, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #1,657 of 2,544
  wow the grain on that left cup is awesome, looks like a tribal face tattoo :p

I agree, love the grain in that cup.

Sep 1, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #1,658 of 2,544
Although my Omni arrived at my cousin's door some time ago as he ordered them on behalf of me because he lives in the US, I have not received them yet. I'm probably going to get my hands on them twelve days from now. My dad is going to bring them. The excitement is killing me! But I waited 6 months to get the hifiman after they had actually been bought so this is nothing compared to them. Can't wait to listen to them after reading so much praise about them. @zach915m makes some seriously good looking headphones I must say though. I wish him all the best and success!

Cheers,

Sep 4, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #1,659 of 2,544
  Although my Omni arrived at my cousin's door some time ago as he ordered them on behalf of me because he lives in the US, I have not received them yet. I'm probably going to get my hands on them twelve days from now. My dad is going to bring them. The excitement is killing me! But I waited 6 months to get the hifiman after they had actually been bought so this is nothing compared to them. Can't wait to listen to them after reading so much praise about them. @zach915m makes some seriously good looking headphones I must say though. I wish him all the best and success!

Cheers,

Congrats.  I look forward to your impressions.

Sep 5, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #1,660 of 2,544
I had some fun the last few months. I've had the first ZMF V2 a couple years back. After that I've had the Blackwood and Omni. The last three months I started with a Vibro, then a Blackwood and now the Omni. Has been fun to hear them all in that order. I love them all. The Vibro for bringing out the fun in music, the Blackwood for it's balanced tone and the Omni for the sub bass, soundstage and also fun sound. I feel that the Vibro is great if you are on a budget. The Blackwood if you want balanced sound and the Omni if you miss the fun off the Vibro in the Blackwood. All three of them do something which makes music just sound so natural. Especially voices, guitars and drums. Very happy with the Omni yet again and for my personal taste it's the best in the line up. Sorry for rambling on :)

Sep 5, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #1,661 of 2,544
  I had some fun the last few months. I've had the first ZMF V2 a couple years back. After that I've had the Blackwood and Omni. The last three months I started with a Vibro, then a Blackwood and now the Omni. Has been fun to hear them all in that order. I love them all. The Vibro for bringing out the fun in music, the Blackwood for it's balanced tone and the Omni for the sub bass, soundstage and also fun sound. I feel that the Vibro is great if you are on a budget. The Blackwood if you want balanced sound and the Omni if you miss the fun off the Vibro in the Blackwood. All three of them do something which makes music just sound so natural. Especially voices, guitars and drums. Very happy with the Omni yet again and for my personal taste it's the best in the line up. Sorry for rambling on :)

Which Omni wood did you end up getting?  Sorry I can't remember!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Sep 5, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #1,663 of 2,544

​So, the Vibro for the dynamics/fun tuning, with a swapped in Blackwood driver?  For a less expensive and fully closed can that's close to the Omni?
darthsmile.gif

(maybe that minimized the 10k bump and makes mid-bass just a little more linear without making it flat?)

I've just about sold my 'extras' to fund a new purchase, and am looking at these 3 still trying to choose a closed can that's complimentary to my mod'ed HE-500s. Something that's warmer (less treble energy), with deeper/harder/more bass when I need it.  I love the HE-500s, but sometimes the recording (or my mood) just begs for a sound that has lush mids (love the 500 mids), maybe even warmer, but less high-end energy, and more bass energy - yet still the clarity and speed of a planar (planar cans with a downward frequency slope, *sounds* like ZMF to me!).

​But not so "dark" as an HD650 (those just felt like I was in a cave for some reason).

​Thoughts appreciated !

Sep 5, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #1,664 of 2,544
Cherry B-stock. When money is no issue I'll need a Cocobolo
biggrin.gif

Does the ZMF website ordering page indicate when B-stock is available or does one have to inquire / request?

Sep 6, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #1,665 of 2,544
Zach i thought you died... I haven't seen an update on the status page in about a week and thought either you got seriously injured or went on vacation...

Glad to know you're back... I'm dying in anticipation of my omni 
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back