ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Aug 18, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #1,638 of 2,544
  bump? anyone have the o2 and Omni?

I have one on loan to another head-fi'er. I can try it when I get it back. In my estimation, it probably won't be an ideal pairing. I've heard the Omni with at least a dozen amps, and I always find myself most impressed with it when it has a mountain of current on tap.

If I was trying to get the most bang for my buck for under $200 or so using the Omni as my headphone, I'd try and track down an Emotiva Mini-X A100 Speaker Amp (they are discontinued, but not terribly difficult to find in that price range). Then get your Omni with a 4-pin XLR termination and pick up a 4-pin XLR to banana plug adaptor to hook into the speaker taps. Any cable maker and/or most DIY'ers will be able to make this adaptor for you.

We've been doing this over in the HE-6 thread for years. Turn the volume all the way down and disconnect the headphone before turning the amp on or off, and you should be just fine. But that big speaker amp current should get your Omnis kicking real hard on the cheap, if that is what you are looking for.

Aug 18, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #1,639 of 2,544
I don't think I want a speaker amp, as I want to keep some versatility for when I might get other headphones in the future. I don't have the money to spend on amps right now, but in the future I'm thinking of getting a project Polaris from garage1217. They provide enough current for the Omni right?

For now, I can only use the Objective2 as an amp unfortunately. As I don't even have an external dac (as stated above) I need to get one, most likely a schiit modi2 uber.

So, my question really was, how the Objective2 goes with the Omni, and if it really that bad or not.

Aug 18, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #1,640 of 2,544
It will be fine. I run both my vibro/blackwood out of a C5D and they both sound great and its a portable amp. I have used an e07k/e09k, C5D and g109s with these headphones and all sounded great with little to no difference in sound.

Aug 18, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #1,641 of 2,544
  I don't think I want a speaker amp, as I want to keep some versatility for when I might get other headphones in the future. I don't have the money to spend on amps right now, but in the future I'm thinking of getting a project Polaris from garage1217. They provide enough current for the Omni right?

For now, I can only use the Objective2 as an amp unfortunately. As I don't even have an external dac (as stated above) I need to get one, most likely a schiit modi2 uber.

So, my question really was, how the Objective2 goes with the Omni, and if it really that bad or not.

No, it won't sound really bad. The O2 should hold you over just fine, if you don't have additional budget to spend on an amp at the moment. It's a capable little amp.

Since I brought up speaker amps, I thought I'd give one a shot, just to see. Tried this 50W/ch Marantz PM500 with the Omni:

The Omni sounded quite nice out of this old warhorse. Couldn't really get the volume over 9 o'clock (I guess the Omni is a little more sensitive than I thought), but you can certainly get some extra leeway by turning down your player on the computer. Anyway, man the mids were very full and lush and the bass was super powerful. IMO, this seems to be a very viable route for amping!

Has anybody else tried this with other speaker amps? Impressions?

Aug 18, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #1,642 of 2,544
^ Nice looking cans, are those Bocote wood ? ^

Aug 21, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #1,645 of 2,544
Just got a new batch of Bocote in just as we sent the end of the last batch out the door.  I am doing my best to keep these in stock as it's a beautiful wood.  All Bocote orders will be initiated this week.

This one just went out to Jason in Canada:

I don't own an O2 as I have the JDS Element, but every ZMF owner who's had an O2 has never complained about not getting enough volume and has always found it to be a good enough pairing.

Since I brought up speaker amps, I thought I'd give one a shot, just to see. Tried this 50W/ch Marantz PM500 with the Omni:

I got a Marantz 2275 of Craigslist a month or two ago and have been using it in my living room, I actually haven't even tried headphones on it yet.  Those things are awesome though, I love the tone of those 70's era Marantz's.  The Omni somehow looks classic, like it's from the same era. Me likey.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 21, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #1,646 of 2,544
  Just got a new batch of Bocote in just as we sent the end of the last batch out the door.  I am doing my best to keep these in stock as it's a beautiful wood.  All Bocote orders will be initiated this week.

This one just went out to Jason in Canada:

I don't own an O2 as I have the JDS Element, but every ZMF owner who's had an O2 has never complained about not getting enough volume and has always found it to be a good enough pairing.

I got a Marantz 2275 of Craigslist a month or two ago and have been using it in my living room, I actually haven't even tried headphones on it yet.  Those things are awesome though, I love the tone of those 70's era Marantz's.  The Omni somehow looks classic, like it's from the same era. Me likey.

eek.gif
   Those look great Zach....is that the Greclan Copper slider ?

Aug 21, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #1,647 of 2,544
Hello everyone .. I want some help
I've got AMP/DAC which is NFB-11 and I've decided to buy a new AMP , so I bought Lyr2 , and to use tge DAC slide which is in NFB-11 and to use lyr2 as AMP.
But in NFB-11's options , there're some choices in Output as you see in the image

, and each option has a different sound , so what should I choose ? ( HP or Variable Fixed ) ?
My second question: Do I have to choose low gain or high gain in NFB-11 ? (and) in lyr2 , I choose low or high gain ?
Can I use NFB-11 as DAC only and turn its AMP off ?
And for record my headphone is ZMF OMNI.
I wish you can help me out here
ths :)

Aug 21, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #1,648 of 2,544
  Hello everyone .. I want some help
I've got AMP/DAC which is NFB-11 and I've decided to buy a new AMP , so I bought Lyr2 , and to use tge DAC slide which is in NFB-11 and to use lyr2 as AMP.
But in NFB-11's options , there're some choices in Output as you see in the image

, and each option has a different sound , so what should I choose ? ( HP or Variable Fixed ) ?
My second question: Do I have to choose low gain or high gain in NFB-11 ? (and) in lyr2 , I choose low or high gain ?
Can I use NFB-11 as DAC only and turn its AMP off ?
And for record my headphone is ZMF OMNI.
I wish you can help me out here
ths :)

You should as that question in the thread for that product. They should be able to help you out: http://www.head-fi.org/t/624517/audio-gd-nfb-11-32-nfb-11-2014-delivery-impression-thread

Aug 24, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #1,650 of 2,544
How do you find the Bocote @Hansotek and @Hisoundfi?

I was set on the Omni Blackwood but unfortunately Zach is out of stock, so he suggested the Bocote as an alternative, this was my backup choice funnily enough.

I'm close to pulling the trigger but just ironing a couple of details out, so I'm interested in your thoughts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back