ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Jul 25, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #1,592 of 2,544

Sadly, for the undetachable cables. Also the same for Audio Technica ...... no choice for that though. Don't want to mod it as it might ruin the cup (had bad experience before).

I modded my TH-X00 with Peterek previously, turned out really well, he's done loads of those mods. My TH-900 is with him right now getting the same treatment, can't wait to get it back.

Jul 26, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #1,594 of 2,544
I'm not sure if it's sacrilege or not to mod the ultimate T50rp mod, but as soon as I noticed the loose acoustic foam between the earpad and driver while changing earpads I couldn't resist the temptation! It looks like the white acoustic foam is melamine (now also used to make Magic Erasers, which is a convenient way to source it). I grabbed a Magic Eraser from my kitchen and started chopping it up to experiment with the size and thickness of the foam squares to see how they change the sound. Right now I'm listening with a slightly thinner version, which seems to make the Omni sound less laid-back.

Has anyone else been experimenting with these kinds of tweaks to adjust the sound of the Omni? Any tips/recipes for adjusting the sound?

On a related note, I've had some trouble keeping the acoustic foam (two pieces on each side) in place when switching earpads. In your experience, how important is it to keep both pieces precisely centered? Do you just hold it down with your fingers in the middle while rolling down the sides of the earpad? Since melamine foam is an abrasive, I'm a little nervous about damaging the driver if it rubs too much! Is that an unwarranted concern?

Jul 26, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #1,595 of 2,544
I've been able to just hold the pieces in place while changing pads. Don't know if the square pieces are exactly centered or not but supposedly, if it isn't, there can be very minute differences as you let different a tiny bit more treble through. So you can change the way the square is orientated, so instead of a square into square, its turned 45deg as a diamond into square. Thinner piece as you did. Poke holes. Even just removing the circle foam. Not very scientific but if it sounds good, then go with it. I think I had taken the circular foam out with the cowhide pads but with the Omni pads, I've put them back in and thinned the white foam.

As long as both sides are nearly identical (whether through mod or just foam moving from pad change) I don't think you could hear an imbalance.

Jul 28, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #1,596 of 2,544
Great tips, thanks @wuhanclan!

Does anyone know where to buy some of the gray acoustic foam that sits between the driver and earpad? I liked the sound a lot when I removed it, and I'd love to experiment with adding a thinner piece of that foam.

As a side note, the more I compare the new Omni pad to the cowhide pad, the more I like the Omni pad. As I was listening to the cowhide pad I felt like I was hearing a small dip in the 150 to 500 Hz range, and switching to the Omni pad seemed to solve that issue for me. I think @zach915m and the early reviewers are right that it has a more neutral sound. It's great to have the option to switch to a more U-shaped sound with the cowhide pads, but at least to my ears Zach's new Omni pad is a noticeable upgrade (although I haven't heard the old lambskin pad or the protein pad).

Jul 28, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #1,597 of 2,544
I received notification this morning that my Cherry B Omnis are en route to Brisbane Australia. 
smily_headphones1.gif
  Should arrive Monday next week. Like any hi fi/head fi purchase I would have loved to have heard a pair before I ordered, but not possible given where I live. But am confident knowing my tastes that the Omnis will be what I am after reading Zach's background working with acoustic guitars and his tuning to his taste.

Just a little over 4 weeks from ordering, so turn around was very good considering. And I'd like to say that I am very happy with the customer service I received from Zach. Replied to any queries I had in a timely manner and was very helpful.   So......am excited that I'll soon get to hear my first set of ZMF headphones. I was initially attracted to them after reading of them here on this thread, so thanks all.

Jul 28, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #1,598 of 2,544
I received notification this morning that my Cherry B Omnis are en route to Brisbane Australia. :)   Should arrive Monday next week. Like any hi fi/head fi purchase I would have loved to have heard a pair before I ordered, but not possible given where I live. But am confident knowing my tastes that the Omnis will be what I am after reading Zach's background working with acoustic guitars and his tuning to his taste.

Just a little over 4 weeks from ordering, so turn around was very good considering. And I'd like to say that I am very happy with the customer service I received from Zach. Replied to any queries I had in a timely manner and was very helpful.   So......am excited that I'll soon get to hear my first set of ZMF headphones. I was initially attracted to them after reading of them here on this thread, so thanks all.

Nice! I strongly doubt you'll be anything less than thrilled with them. But I'm curious, there's no audio stores in Brisbane? Always thought it was a huge city, but I've never actually been

Jul 28, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #1,599 of 2,544
Nice! I strongly doubt you'll be anything less than thrilled with them. But I'm curious, there's no audio stores in Brisbane? Always thought it was a huge city, but I've never actually been

We have a population of 2.3 million, so not really a huge city lol.
And half a dozen or so audio stores, but not too many that stock hi-ish end head fi stuff, let alone the ZMF range.
And I thought that all Zach's range was made to order, so no dealers anywhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back