ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Jul 22, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #1,576 of 2,544
  @Aornic or anyone else who's tried both:

Do you feel there's a difference in the overall comfort of the lambskin pilot pad vs the protein leather pad? I can't decide which one I want to get for my TH-X00s.

Sorry to butt in - I have tried all combo's etc and feel as if the largest improvement you can do for the thxx in both sound and comfort is utilize the Omni pads on them.  They work great on my thxx mahogany.  The pilot pads are great too, but the larger improvement in comfort for me came from the the actual earpad change on the thxx.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 22, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #1,577 of 2,544
Sorry to butt in - I have tried all combo's etc and feel as if the largest improvement you can do for the thxx in both sound and comfort is utilize the Omni pads on them.

This. I have tried the Omni pads with the TH-900 (similar build and frame), and like them more than any other swap (lamb skin, buffalo hide ZMF pads).

Jul 22, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #1,578 of 2,544
Well I am considering the Omni pads once I see more opinions, but I don't dislike the stock pads at all. What I'm worried about is losing the bass quantity/impact the stock pads give me. Right now, though, I mainly just want a bit more padding for the headband.

Jul 22, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #1,579 of 2,544
Well I am considering the Omni pads once I see more opinions, but I don't dislike the stock pads at all. What I'm worried about is losing the bass quantity/impact the stock pads give me. Right now, though, I mainly just want a bit more padding for the headband.

I thought it was a net positive, with the Omni pads. But you really have to try for yourself, I guess.

And interesting question about the headband. Wonder if the Velcro leather padding like on the Omni would be compatible with the Fostex headphones? Don't have my TH-900 with me right now or I'd test it, maybezach915m could confirm, he might even sell you a new one

Jul 22, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #1,580 of 2,544
I thought it was a net positive, with the Omni pads. But you really have to try for yourself, I guess.

And interesting question about the headband. Wonder if the Velcro leather padding like on the Omni would be compatible with the Fostex headphones? Don't have my TH-900 with me right now or I'd test it, maybezach915m could confirm, he might even sell you a new one

I happen to have both on hand. It seems to fit well. Here are a couple of pictures:

Jul 22, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #1,582 of 2,544
Wow, I just looked at the clock, and I guess I've been listening to the Omni for almost seven hours straight now, ever since I got home from work and opened the box. I know I need to get sleep, but I can't tear myself away!

They're good, yes. Hope you managed to get some sleep now, at least :)

Jul 22, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #1,583 of 2,544
Going to have to try the Omni pad on my TH-X00 too. Pretty much every pad is more comfortable than stock x00 pads but makes it more v-shaped. Maybe that's not a bad thing. I have alpha pads on them currently.

Ergonomically, the Omni pad seems to be the best fit for the Omni. With the regular zmf pads, my Omni never sat exactly quite right on my head, no matter how I bent the headband.

Jul 22, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #1,584 of 2,544
  Going to have to try the Omni pad on my TH-X00 too. Pretty much every pad is more comfortable than stock x00 pads but makes it more v-shaped. Maybe that's not a bad thing. I have alpha pads on them currently.

Ergonomically, the Omni pad seems to be the best fit for the Omni. With the regular zmf pads, my Omni never sat exactly quite right on my head, no matter how I bent the headband.

I like the Omni pads better than the Alphapads.  I have Alphapads on my HE-400is and lamb skin Omni pads on my HE-6 and cowhide on my ZMF Omnis.  They feel better and I think the sound is a bit better too.

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #1,585 of 2,544

Sorry to butt in - I have tried all combo's etc and feel as if the largest improvement you can do for the thxx in both sound and comfort is utilize the Omni pads on them.  They work great on my thxx mahogany.  The pilot pads are great too, but the larger improvement in comfort for me came from the the actual earpad change on the thxx.

This. I've been using Cowhide pads on my X00's and don't even feel the need to add a pilot pad or a suspension strap. Got Omni pads on the way too, can't wait to try them out.

Jul 23, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #1,586 of 2,544
I have the lambskin currently and at times I do give a very soft push on the cups toward my ears. Doing this I feel the bass to be a bit tighter and more defined, mids highs are a bit better too and the soundstage remains 99% the same. This makes me curious about the bit more shallower and rounder Omni pads.

Jul 25, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #1,587 of 2,544

Dope pic but for some reason the Cherry looks so much better in person than all of the pics I have seen. 

Yeah Cherry has a glow to it in person, it's a cool wood.  Not the fanciest grain but really special.

Confession here. I have had my eyes on the Cherry Omni for a while, but just before I pull the purchase, @zach915m introduced the exotic wood limited edition. I went to that instead, but I still want to own one.

So, after the Purpleheart, the Cocobolo, and "pending" Padauk ... I would complete my Omni collection with the Cherry, the wood that had my eyes on the Omni in the beginning. Hope Zach would still have the Cherry by that time (I don't know, maybe around the end of the year or earlier next year).

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #1,588 of 2,544
Confession here. I have had my eyes on the Cherry Omni for a while, but just before I pull the purchase, @zach915m
 introduced the exotic wood limited edition. I went to that instead, but I still want to own one.

So, after the Purpleheart, the Cocobolo, and "pending" Padauk ... I would complete my Omni collection with the Cherry, the wood that had my eyes on the Omni in the beginning. Hope Zach would still have the Cherry by that time (I don't know, maybe around the end of the year or earlier next year).

Wow, you have a whole set of Omnis? Nice! Wouldn't happen to have a pic of them in a row? And I wouldn't worry, cherry being a domestic wood is probably always going to be available, unlike the harder to source exotic woods.

Jul 25, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #1,589 of 2,544
Wow, you have a whole set of Omnis? Nice! Wouldn't happen to have a pic of them in a row? And I wouldn't worry, cherry being a domestic wood is probably always going to be available, unlike the harder to source exotic woods.

No. Far from complete. I only have 2 at the moment (Purpleheart & Cocobolo ... Purple-Brown & Dark Orange), and my 3rd (Darker Padauk, with black fillers for contrast) being made right now. I would be completely broke before completing the whole set :)

Off topic here, I'm a kind of completist. Once I start having "more than one" of anything, I would love to have the whole set or at least a subset with good variety of colors (Like this collection of Fostex. I'm waiting for the Purpleheart TH-X00. I took this photo before my EMU-Teak in Ebony arrived).

When I have enough of ZMF Omni in my collection, I will surely take a photo like this one.

Now, for Omni, I'm short of one "light" and one "very dark" tone. For the light, it's the Cherry, no contest. For the very dark, I don't know yet. Maybe @zach915m could help me pick one when the time comes. (LTA Wenge maybe?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back