ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Apr 7, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #1,096 of 2,544
Can't wait to hear your impressions Zach
biggrin.gif

@Stillhart
What do you think this setup will sound like?
Mojo -> Liquid Spark -> Omni

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #1,097 of 2,544
  Can't wait to hear your impressions Zach
biggrin.gif

@Stillhart
What do you think this setup will sound like?
Mojo -> Liquid Spark -> Omni

I don't know if the Spark will have enough juice to drive the Omni the way it deserves.  Once I get an Omni in house again I can try it with Warren's prototype Spark to see how it sounds.  Might be a while tho as I just moved and my finances are still recovering...

Assuming it drives the Omni good enough, it should sound quite good.  The Spark has all that Cavalli house sound and I know the Omni goes well with the Carbon and the Crimson.

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #1,098 of 2,544

I don't know if the Spark will have enough juice to drive the Omni the way it deserves.  Once I get an Omni in house again I can try it with Warren's prototype Spark to see how it sounds.  Might be a while tho as I just moved and my finances are still recovering...

Assuming it drives the Omni good enough, it should sound quite good.  The Spark has all that Cavalli house sound and I know the Omni goes well with the Carbon and the Crimson.

I just got a new laptop backpack tha has plenty of room in it. It even has a dedicated full-size headphone pocket. Planning on taking everything with me. However I'm still undecided if I should go for a Carbon or Spark to drive the Omni. Gotta decide fast for the Carbon orders are time-limited..

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #1,099 of 2,544

I just got a new laptop backpack tha has plenty of room in it. It even has a dedicated full-size headphone pocket. Planning on taking everything with me. However I'm still undecided if I should go for a Carbon or Spark to drive the Omni. Gotta decide fast for the Carbon orders are time-limited..

Well I mean if you don't NEED the battery power of the Spark, the Carbon is a better amp and we know it sounds good with the Omni.  But yeah, I'll see if I can get my hands on an Omni before Carbon preorders run out and test it for ya.  You still have almost a full month.

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #1,100 of 2,544
Hey everyone. Proud to announce that I've put an order in for a pair of Cocobolo Omnis. I currently have a pair of Zebra Blackwoods. The Blackwoods sound so good I had to get a pair of Omnis too.

What is everyone's take on the best tube amp is for the Blackwoods and Omnis? My current tube amp drives the Blackwoods OK but I would like better.

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #1,101 of 2,544

Well I mean if you don't NEED the battery power of the Spark, the Carbon is a better amp and we know it sounds good with the Omni.  But yeah, I'll see if I can get my hands on an Omni before Carbon preorders run out and test it for ya.  You still have almost a full month.

That would be GREAT!!
Thank you Stillhart
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd like to enjoy as much as I can Zach's great work while not being tied to one place.

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #1,102 of 2,544

Ask Zach how his HiFi-M8 does with the Omni.  Its got more beef, and might be a good option.  But let Zack comment, as I haven't had an Omni to try on mine yet...

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #1,103 of 2,544

Ask Zach how his HiFi-M8 does with the Omni.  Its got more beef, and might be a good option.  But let Zack comment, as I haven't had an Omni to try on mine yet...

Don't have the M8 anymore as I opted to keep my RSA Intruder instead.  It worked fine and was a very good DAC/AMP.

Hey everyone. Proud to announce that I've put an order in for a pair of Cocobolo Omnis. I currently have a pair of Zebra Blackwoods. The Blackwoods sound so good I had to get a pair of Omnis too.

What is everyone's take on the best tube amp is for the Blackwoods and Omnis? My current tube amp drives the Blackwoods OK but I would like better.

Plenty of great tube amps out there, but there's one coming out soon you might be interested in. 
wink_face.gif

That's all I can say right now!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Apr 7, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #1,104 of 2,544

Thanks for the suggestion. I already have a DAC (Chord Mojo) and would like to pair it with a capable amp to power the Omni.
I've listened to the M8 sometime ago (from a friend of mine with a pair of HD650) and purely as a DAC the Mojo just grabs me a little more (personal preference).
Once I get my Omni though I'll call-up my friend and have a listen. Direct experience is the best way to know most of the times
biggrin.gif

I'll share my thoughts here once I do. Zach's opinion is very welcomed too :)

EDIT:
@zach915m
Cv5?
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #1,105 of 2,544
Don't have the M8 anymore as I opted to keep my RSA Intruder instead.  It worked fine and was a very good DAC/AMP.

Plenty of great tube amps out there, but there's one coming out soon you might be interested in.  :wink_face:

That's all I can say right now!

I think I would be really interested in this new amp. I won't pry to much. But if you get wind of when it's available for purchase I would be interested in owning one.

Apr 7, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #1,107 of 2,544
Ok, so I'm really close to committing on these. In fact, I've had a pair sitting in the cart for weeks but haven't pulled the trigger yet. My primary headphone right now is the Nighthawk but I had to switch to hybrid velour/pleather pads to ease the mid bass and let them breathe. I also have a TH-X00 coming next month from the drop earlier this year. I don't like having a lot of headphones so I'm thinking that between the NH, THx00, and Omni, I can find my endgame headphone. I may keep 1, I may keep all 3! I'm just having trouble picking out which wood cup Omni to get. I've got my eyes on that Cocobolo and they're selling quick!

My listening time is maybe 50% classic rock, 20% assorted pop (oldies to modern), 10% acoustic guitar, 10% edm, 10% assorted classical/jazz. I'm a slight basshead and a sucker for realistic drum sound and impact. I'll running the Omnis out of a AudioGD NFB 11 for now though I think I'd probably enjoy the heck out of some tubes in the future.

So will the wood really matter that much? Ideally I don't want the sound to overlap with the other 2 headphones too much. Or should I just get the one that I think looks the best?

Apr 7, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #1,108 of 2,544
Ok, so I'm really close to committing on these. In fact, I've had a pair sitting in the cart for weeks but haven't pulled the trigger yet. My primary headphone right now is the Nighthawk but I had to switch to hybrid velour/pleather pads to ease the mid bass and let them breathe. I also have a TH-X00 coming next month from the drop earlier this year. I don't like having a lot of headphones so I'm thinking that between the NH, THx00, and Omni, I can find my endgame headphone. I may keep 1, I may keep all 3! I'm just having trouble picking out which wood cup Omni to get. I've got my eyes on that Cocobolo and they're selling quick!

My listening time is maybe 50% classic rock, 20% assorted pop (oldies to modern), 10% acoustic guitar, 10% edm, 10% assorted classical/jazz. I'm a slight basshead and a sucker for realistic drum sound and impact. I'll running the Omnis out of a AudioGD NFB 11 for now though I think I'd probably enjoy the heck out of some tubes in the future.

So will the wood really matter that much? Ideally I don't want the sound to overlap with the other 2 headphones too much. Or should I just get the one that I think looks the best?

I don't have my Omnis yet... If they are anything like the Blackwoods, I say go for it! They are incredible headphones. I'm selling my LCD2s now because these are so much better.

Apr 7, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #1,109 of 2,544

@joeq70 may be able to chime in as he has some Bocote Omni's, but when it comes to impact and timbre Bocote is pretty great.  It's just about as hard as Blackwood, but has larger pores for just a touch of decay that makes everything sound really nice.  The Cocobolo is great too, and definitely has "the look."

Actually, @Stillhart heard the Bocote set at CanJam on the fabulous LTA ZOTL, which is a great tube amp which I would highly recommend.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Apr 7, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #1,110 of 2,544

I did a pretty big section about the woods in my review.  tl;dr - if you can't decide, just pick the one and enjoy it.  There are differences but they're not big enough to agonize over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back