ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Mar 5, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #991 of 2,544

Sorry I don't utilize any pre-made or modified headphones for the ZMF's. 

Hey, Zach, out of curiosity - your ZMF Omni's are MK II modded, so do you think in the future you might update your existing lines with MK III modded headphones?  I asked a similar question out of Mayflower Electronics, and they won't be, so I am curious about all the HP-Modders who have turned this in to a living, if they're updating to the MK III at some point.  

Mar 5, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #992 of 2,544
  Hey, Zach, out of curiosity - your ZMF Omni's are MK II modded, so do you think in the future you might update your existing lines with MK III modded headphones?  I asked a similar question out of Mayflower Electronics, and they won't be, so I am curious about all the HP-Modders who have turned this in to a living, if they're updating to the MK III at some point.  

It's a good question!

The actual membrane of the MK III is the same as MK II.  The only significant changes are the baffle and the paper behind the driver.  Because of this there actually are no major changes needed to any of our line as it stands. 

The ZMF Classic now uses MK III's.

The ZMF x Vibro MK II uses MK III's.

The Blackwood uses MK II baffles and MK II or MK III drivers.  I have saved hundreds of sets of baffles, I probably have a 3-5 year supply of MK II baffles for the Blackwood, maybe more.

The Omni uses our own baffle and MK II or MK III drivers.

Currently I have over 100 MK II's left and have access to more, BUT there is no real reason to use them over the MK III's aside from the fact that I have them.  The only change needed for the Omni using the MK III enslosure is a slight alteration, it has been tested and is sound.  The sound measurement and quality does not change. 

Hope that helps, no plans to discontinue anything in the foreseeable future.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 5, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #993 of 2,544
That is interesting, and thank you for answering that!  My search for the perfect headphones continues, and I keep ending up looking at the Omni's, particularly the Blackwood version - they're gorgeous.  

Mar 5, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #994 of 2,544
I would like to ask one of the more stupid questions. Is there a front or back to the phones. I see one side of the pads has a small line in the center and the inside of the band has a CE LABEL IN THE INNER BAND.

So what's the recommended left right positioning ?

Mar 5, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #995 of 2,544
I would like to ask one of the more stupid questions. Is there a front or back to the phones. I see one side of the pads has a small line in the center and the inside of the band has a CE LABEL IN THE INNER BAND.

So what's the recommended left right positioning ?

The pads are angled.  You want the thinner side of the pads facing front and the ticker side facing back.

Mar 5, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #996 of 2,544
Does it matter what side is left or right. I didn't see an indicator on the cups. The cable is color coded, but I don't see an indicator on the cups which should take the right or left plug.

Mar 5, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #997 of 2,544
Does it matter what side is left or right. I didn't see an indicator on the cups. The cable is color coded, but I don't see an indicator on the cups which should take the right or left plug.

The cups themselves dont matter. What matters is the earpads. As long as the thicker side of the earpads are behind, youe good. You could switch the earpads and the cable and it would be the same thing.

Mar 6, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #999 of 2,544
Mar 6, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #1,001 of 2,544
Say, ZMF, I'm sure you've had a lot of time with your own creations, so I am curious - what amps do you think best suit your Omni's?  I know all three woods are more similar than they are different and regardless we get some incredible quality, but do you think tube or solid-state do your machinations justice?

Mar 6, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #1,002 of 2,544
Omni mini-review/comparison:

I've had a pair or Omni's for a few weeks now that I got in a trade. Got them basically knowing I was going to keep them or my LCD-2f's. Well, unfortunately I finally came to the decision today I'm going to let them go and keep the Audeze.

Now this is not because I didn't like the Omni's, in fact I liked them quite a lot and wished I could keep them. They're easily one of the most natural sounding pair of headphones I've had the pleasure of using. Found them to be very smooth and laid back except for the bass, which could be quite substantial, but never felt like it got in the way of the mids or treble. However, over my hi-fi journey I've discovered I personally like headphones on the brighter side of the spectrum. The Omni's in this aspect are just a little too soft for my taste. The treble extends, but doesn't have that snap and sparkle I really enjoy. Also despite having a bigger soundstage than the LCD-2f's, I didn't think they imaged quite as well.

Overall I feel the Omni's lived up to their name and handled a very wide range of music. These could easily be used as all-rounders if you wanted them to. Or you could rock the cowhide pads and use more dampening materials to have a very nice sounding basshead can. Zack and Co. have done a great job with the Omni's and have really delivered a great TOTL product. Frankly I'm still amazed how they extracted such a good sound out of t50rp drivers. Kudos.

Finally I should mention that the Omni's look damn good, even if mine were just the walnut cups. Some of the exotic woods are just drool worthy (see cherry pics above). Yes, they can be a little on the heavy side, but with the leather strap/pilot pad combo made them pretty comfortable to wear.

Gear used:
Pads: Mostly lambskin, found the cowhide a little too bassy. 
DAC: Gustard X12 and SMSL M8
AMP: Gustard H-10 and Liquid Carbon (unbalanced)
Source: iBasso DX80 via Coax with various hi-res FLAC tracks

I'll be posting my Omni's soon in the For Sale/Trade forums soon. PM me if you're interested.

Mar 6, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #1,003 of 2,544
  ... I've discovered I personally like headphones on the brighter side of the spectrum. ...

You like what you like and nobody can change that.  But I will say that the LCD-2f is not "on the brighter side of the spectrum".  It may be bright relative to the Omni, but it is in no way bright on an absolute level.  

If you want something on par with the LCD-2f but on the brighter side of the spectrum, I'd recommend the HE-560.  I moved from the LCD-2f to the HE-560 because I found the Audeze to be too warm for me and I was very happy with the move. 

Mar 6, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #1,004 of 2,544

You like what you like and nobody can change that.  But I will say that the LCD-2f is not "on the brighter side of the spectrum".  It may be bright relative to the Omni, but it is in no way bright on an absolute level.  

If you want something on par with the LCD-2f but on the brighter side of the spectrum, I'd recommend the HE-560.  I moved from the LCD-2f to the HE-560 because I found the Audeze to be too warm for me and I was very happy with the move. 

That's very true, on both fronts. 

I actually had the 560 and recently sold it. I liked it, but it was a little thin sounding at times. Plus I have a HD-800 and the 560 is kinda like Planar-lite version of it. The 800 and LCD-2f's are great ying/yangs to each other.

Mar 6, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #1,005 of 2,544
  That's very true, on both fronts. 

I actually had the 560 and recently sold it. I liked it, but it was a little thin sounding at times. Plus I have a HD-800 and the 560 is kinda like Planar-lite version of it. The 800 and LCD-2f's are great ying/yangs to each other.

Ha, that's funny!  I have an HD800 now also and find the Omni to be a wonderful complement.  I have had zero interest in the HE-560 since I got the HD800 -- the HD800 is similar but better in almost every respect (as you might expect from the price).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back