ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Sep 11, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #471 of 2,544
Really digging the blackwood Omni.

Compared to the Omni prototype I had here:
The lower mids are better balanced and this has one of the best midrange balances of any hp I have heard to date.
It sounds a little less open than the other but more refined and pure. I am not hearing this aggression others mentioned. But I have yet to properly amp source them as my pc is getting fixed again. Just pioneer old iron and my phone. Fwiw I listened to the other Omni like that too as well as my desktop when my pc was here.

Sorry, I've been a bit busy and sidetracked, but I have directly compared both (as Zach sent me the final tuning of my Walnut Omni and then his Blackwoods) and they're fairly similar. The Walnut is a bit more open, the bass is a bit more linear, and the mids are slightly thicker. The Blackwood has deep subbass, clearer mids, and a clearer highs. However, the soundstage is slightly smaller and I felt the Walnut was the better of the two (after much nitpicking.)

I should hear the Cherry set soon, which I, from what I understand, may like more.

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #472 of 2,544
^so for more bass and clarity go for the blackwood, for more openness and linearity go for the walnut?

I read somewhere the blackwood has stronger imaging as well. It seems like I may have picked the right one for me.

Sep 11, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #473 of 2,544
^so for more bass and clarity go for the blackwood, for more openness and linearity go for the walnut?

I read somewhere the blackwood has stronger imaging as well. It seems like I may have picked the right one for me.

I'd say that's accurate. Cherry has the best resolution of the bunch, however, which I would probably be more interested in. My ability to detect sound direction is relatively lower than you'd think due to APD.  About the only thing that still remains from that, haha.

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #475 of 2,544
  I'd say that's accurate. Cherry has the best resolution of the bunch, however, which I would probably be more interested in. My ability to detect sound direction is relatively lower than you'd think due to APD.  About the only thing that still remains from that, haha.

If by resolution you mean detail retrieval, I find that interesting. I would've thought the slower decay of the cherry would interfere with that.

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #476 of 2,544
Just a quick note:  I'm happy to report that the finalized version is nicely improved.  It was definitely worth the extra week or two to get it tuned just right.  Subtle changes add up to a better overall experience.

Sep 12, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #477 of 2,544
I forgot to ask what termination are the tour Omnis shipping with?  I'm hoping there's a 4 pin XLR cable traveling with the headphone...

Sep 14, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #479 of 2,544
After a bit of a hiccup with USPS, the Omnis are finally in house. Haven't had a chance to listen yet. Had to rush out right after signing for them. But I'll start listening tonight and will hopefully have some [preliminary] impressions pretty soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back