ZMF November is here! Release Schedule and Time-line
Nov 8, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #91 of 845
Oh no worries - and yeah they are all silver/steel in color. There may have been a couple pics out there with a warm/low color temp that made the tiny XLR look more brass-ish.
Ok, excellent! Thanks Zach.

I wonder how the new Crescent Strap in combination with the leather suspension strap compares in comfort to using the pilot or co-pilot pad. I know these Blackwood VC’s are going to be hefty, so weight distribution is going to be important.

For purely aesthetic reasons, I may try to get away with the old-style leather headband with a co-pilot pad.

@zach915m Will both headband styles (standard and Crescent) be an option on the LTD Blackwood VC? And for future reference, do you plan to offer the Crescent Strap as an option on all ZMF headphones once it’s released?

Nov 8, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #93 of 845
I ordered a Aeolus a couple weeks ago. I had also had it in my mind that I might want to add a Feliks Audio Echo to my collection to go with it. Your video is pushing me in that direction. I also wonder if I didn't jump the gun, and should have waited to see if I could get a b-stock. Oh well, once I have the Aeolus, I doubt I will care how I got it.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #95 of 845
How many stabilized VC units will there be this time?

Nov 9, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #96 of 845
More than the weight of the black wood, I’m concerned about the effects on string decay. I listen to a lot of acoustic string music and love to hear lingering string decay. The VC monkey pod decay was so sweet. Moving to camphor burl, I lost some if that decay. Would I be looking at even less decay with the black wood? I understand in general, harder woods have shorter decay. Every ZMF made in black wood seems to be a big hit. Looking for some help understanding why.

Nov 9, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #97 of 845
More than the weight of the black wood, I’m concerned about the effects on string decay. I listen to a lot of acoustic string music and love to hear lingering string decay. The VC monkey pod decay was so sweet. Moving to camphor burl, I lost some if that decay. Would I be looking at even less decay with the black wood? I understand in general, harder woods have shorter decay. Every ZMF made in black wood seems to be a big hit. Looking for some help understanding why.
I can't speak for everyone, but my love of the hardwoods like blackwood, wenge, etc is in the context of pairing it with some of the slower ZMFs like the Auteur. I had a teak Auteur and it sounded good, but also just a touch slow, with a slightly unnatural decay. Notes hung for a millisecond too long, and made me notice them. Moving to a wenge set alleviated that for me. The difference was very very subtle, and imo could be totally placebo. But I just like the harder wood on the Auteur more. But... I had an ironwood VC and that was a bit too fast, imo. It had almost a planar like decay, very fast and clean sounding. I actually would pair the VC with the highest output impedance tube amps available just to slow it down and get it to sound more natural. So for me personally, i would only own a VC with the softest wood available.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #98 of 845
I can't speak for everyone, but my love of the darkwoods like blackwood, wenge, etc is in the context of pairing it with some of the slower ZMFs like the Auteur. I had a teak Auteur and it sounded good, but also just a touch slow, with a slightly unnatural decay. Notes hung for a millisecond too long, and made me notice them. Moving to a wenge set alleviated that for me. The difference was very very subtle, and imo could be totally placebo. But I just like the harder wood on the Auteur more. But... I had an ironwood VC and that was a bit too fast, imo. It had almost a planar like decay, very fast and clean sounding. I actually would pair the VC with the highest output impedance tube amps available just to slow it down and get it to sound more natural. So for me personally, i would only own a VC with the softest wood
Thank you. Interesting….. so you’re not just talking hardness, but also the natural dark color of the wood.

Nov 9, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #100 of 845
I wonder how the new Crescent Strap in combination with the leather suspension strap compares in comfort to using the pilot or co-pilot pad. I know these Blackwood VC’s are going to be hefty, so weight distribution is going to be important.

For purely aesthetic reasons, I may try to get away with the old-style leather headband with a co-pilot pad.

@zach915m Will both headband styles (standard and Crescent) be an option on the LTD Blackwood VC? And for future reference, do you plan to offer the Crescent Strap as an option on all ZMF headphones once it’s released?
The crescent band and a new headband steel shape will be stock when we finish the tempered steel for the crescent bands. So there won't be two versions once that's all done.
How many stabilized VC units will there be this time?
WE are making as many as possible! We hope to have 45-50 resin VC and at least 50 Stabilized VC and a few other models as well.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 9, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #101 of 845
On quick important note

If a dealer is offering you the sale of a Resin or Stabilized set ahead of our release date, they are doing so in an unauthorized fashion, and these headphones will not be warranted. Dealers are to abide by the release date and time in the same way we do on the website, and dealers are only given stabilized and Resin sets in a LTD quantity. They do not have these in stock and will not be able to take your order until our release date.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 9, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #102 of 845
WE are making as many as possible! We hope to have 45-50 resin VC and at least 50 Stabilized VC and a few other models as well.
Cool! I've been saving some cash for some time now. Will get either the blackwood or a VC stabilized if I'm fast enough.

I was just wondering if the drop can be a little earlier so that folks from Europe won't have to get out of bed in the middle of the night.

Nov 9, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #103 of 845
The crescent band and a new headband steel shape will be stock when we finish the tempered steel for the crescent bands. So there won't be two versions once that's all done.

How many of VO versions? thanks

Nov 9, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #104 of 845
Cool! I've been saving some cash for some time now. Will get either the blackwood or a VC stabilized if I'm fast enough.

I was just wondering if the drop can be a little earlier so that folks from Europe won't have to get out of bed in the middle of the night.
The drop for the VC African Blackwood is at 10 AM CST - so that's 17:00 CET. Not sure if the other drops are around the same time, but 5PM sounds perfectly reasonable.

Nov 9, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #105 of 845
The drop for the VC African Blackwood is at 10 AM CST - so that's 17:00 CET. Not sure if the other drops are around the same time, but 5PM sounds perfectly reasonable.
Yes, but previously VC stabilized drop was during midnight in Europe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back