ZMF November // 2023 // MEGATHREAD!
Nov 30, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #1,411 of 2,411
That new all-ZMF thread hasn't quite caught fire, so re-posting here:
Has anyone heard both the ZMF 2K Copper cable and the Lektrik-C 4-strand? At almost twice the price, how much better does the 2K actually sound?
I tried the 2k copper, lektrik-c, lektrik-s, verite silver, and grand palladium silver at canjam. Cables are extremely subjective, but in my opinion their ability to change the sound is understated. Pads can only change the medium between the driver and your ear, but cables can change what comes out of the driver. I have a caldera, but I find it unpleasant on any copper cable, so I use it on a 4 strand lektrik-s, and it is great on that. In contrast the silver cables make my VO and AC too bright, so the stock cable sounds best with them. ZMF "silver" cables aren't all silver, but silver and copper. The PassionForSound guy tried some ZMFs on pure silver cables and said they sounded too bright, but sounded best on copper/silver hybrid cables, which is probably why ZMF doesn't offer pure silver cables. The verite silver cable is half pure silver, half 2k copper. Half of the lektrik-s is the same copper found in the lektrik-c (litz copper), and the other half is the same type (litz) but silver. So the ZMF silver cables are half the copper version at that pricepoint, and half an equivalent type of silver. The Grand Palladium is a weirdo, with everything thrown at it, though appears to be about 2/3 copper. The 2k copper and verite silver appears to use purer metals, so I would generally expect better performance from them than the Grand Palladium, which is what I heard when I tried them at canjam. At canjam, I found the lektrik-c unlistenable (in theory it would only be marginally better than the stock cable anyway) and the 2k copper was much better, but is still fundamentally doing the same thing the stock cable is doing. Copper is copper, and purity of the metal in my experience does not correspond to better sound, at least not for copper. The OFC cable in theory should be better than the stock cable, but in my experience the stock cable sounds better. I did like the 2k copper better than the stock cable, but not by enough to justify the cost. My issue with all the upgraded copper cables is that to me they seem to increase the body in the lower frequencies but that body sounds almost metallic or noisy, and almost makes the sound seem brighter even though it is masking some of the detail in the upper frequencies. The 2k copper didn't have nearly as much of this, which is why I thought it sounded fine, just not $400 fine. I loved the lektrik-s at canjam so much I bought one. I have a verite silver on the way. The copper cables at canjam actually sounded brighter than the silver cables, because of that bloat they introduced to the lower frequencies. If you just focused on the upper frequencies, the silver cables were a bit brighter, but overall it seemed to me that the silver cables gave a cleaner sound. I did think the verite silver was a bit better than the lektrik-s, but the lektrik-s was a little less tight and a little more grungy (a bit more body throughout the FR), which might make it better with rock. It was almost as if, to me at least, the lektrik-s did what I would expect the 2k copper to do, and the vertie silver did what you would expect a silver cable to do. Like pads, cables wont make the sound better or worse, but they will just change the character slightly in a way that may or may not matter or be an improvement. Just my 2 cents. So much of this depends on what kind of music you like, what your equipment is, what the state of your hearing is, etc.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #1,412 of 2,411
My "Heritage" colorway Homage just arrived! Pretty pleased with it so far. It's still warming up and I've only listened to it for 3 hours so far, but initial impressions are pretty good. It's fairly inline with what I've been reading across all the different threads online, whether it be expectation bias or otherwise. It does sound a lot more detailed, holographic, and wider sound stage than my Jotunheim 2 (but that's not a hard amp to beat for those metrics).

12226587.jpeg

The Atrium sounds the best I've heard it on a solid state amp – even better than the Magni Piety. It's definitely a different sound than on an OTL, but I'm loving it so far. The staging and atmosphere of the Atrium here is a whole different story compared to the Piety. Yet it has so much more resolution I can pick out than on the Piety or the BHC.

I've felt my VC doesn't pair the best with the tubes I'm currently rolling on my BHC, so I've been using it on solid states recently. I think the Homage runs it the best out of the amps I own. It does sound slightly better on high impedance mode to me, and the added sound stage just sounds open-back like. I'll have to do a longer listen on it, but I feel the VC has finally met its match for me.

DSC00951.jpeg

I felt the XLR inputs sounded much more robust than the RCA. The RCA felt rather thin sounding, and the XLR just sounded "fuller" for a lack of better terms. I didn't carefully volume match them, and it could also be my DACs that sound different from each output. Will need to test more, I guess.

On my dynamics, I really struggled to hear a whole lot of difference on the impedance switch. I wasn't sure at all on the AO, and felt the VC sounded like it improved on High – but I wasn't sure if I could pass a blind test on it. I was even beginning to wonder if the switch was broken. Then I plugged in my Susvara. It was night and day difference between the two now, and Low sounded significantly better for the 60Ω planar driver. So it does work!

DSC00963.jpeg

As I started typing this, I had moved the Homage back to my desk and plugged in the Caldera. I queued up a random soundtrack playlist, but it kind of sounded worse than I remember it sounding on the Jotunheim. I was pretty puzzled. I kept on typing, color graded the photos, and noticed the impedance switch in the picture. Sure enough, the impedance was still on High – oops! Flipping it off, I noticed an immediate "expansion" of staging and holography. The textures of drums and plucked strings were back to the way I've always loved them on the Caldera. It's quite the difference! So both the planar cans had noticeable changes from the impedance setting for me. Very interesting!

Minor nitpick: The VU meter calibration is fixed to whatever signal is incoming. Which does makes sense, in that >0dB is clipping – so the VU is supposed to help show headroom, etc. But the biggest issue for me is that I have EQ bass shelves that can go up to +8dB, so I have a -8dB preamp applied. When using HQPlayer, I also have to add a -3dB reduction for DSD interpolation protection. That's -11dB that the VU can't use – and -10 to -20dB on the meter is a tiny 2-3mm of space for the needle to move. In fact, I'm seeing zero needle movement right now with a moderately quiet track. The VU also scales with the gain setting, so with an IEM set on Low Gain, there's even less VU movement. So with either software EQ or IEMs, the VU is virtually useless, which makes me a bit sad since the meter looks so cool. If there was a pot/dial to calibrate the meter, even just for appearance's sake, that would have been great.

Otherwise, it's a great sounding amp, priced reasonably well, and an interesting aesthetic to add to my desktop collection. I think the front panel matches my Atrium and VC pretty well!

DSC00939.jpeg

One last wish: there should have been a ZMF logo laser-engraved somewhere on the white space on the front panel (or silk screened to the chassis top)! All my other amps have some kind of branding visible from the front.
@zach915m do you sell any small, cool looking ZMF stickers that would go well here? :laughing:
Maybe next Zach will do a Homage DAC?? Maybe go old school and do an R2R DAC.....

Nov 30, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #1,413 of 2,411
It mostly sounds like you want more linearity and are using EQ. I'd probably recommend the suede auteur pads based on what you're describing
So I've initially had issues with my VC sounding "off" with a lot of unwanted resonance/cancellations in the lower treble range. No amount of EQ could fix it, so Zach recommended these pads. Well, ZMF November happened, so I ordered my "all B-Stock package": the Auteur Suede pads, random Atmos S cables, and a mixed-wood Salire. I finally got them in today (after USPS lost them for almost a week), and each item has exceeded my expectations.

All B-Stock All-Star

The Auteur Suede pads have magically fixed all my resonance dips, and they sound 90% there to my personal preferences without any EQ already. They went from "meh, maybe this is as good as closed backs get" to "wow this is amazing" in one quick pad swap, and a quick EQ got them to "simply sublime". Thanks very much, Zach, for somehow magically knowing these were what I needed!

The Atmos S cables sound just like my existing DIY kit version, so nothing new to write home about – but they still look very neat with the different plugs. The mixed wood B-stock Salire are pretty sweet looking. I think the two wood combination complements each other well enough, and if I didn't order them as B-stock, I may not have even noticed. Seriously, ZMF B-stocks are legit A-stock units!

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #1,414 of 2,411
So I've initially had issues with my VC sounding "off" with a lot of unwanted resonance/cancellations in the lower treble range. No amount of EQ could fix it, so Zach recommended these pads. Well, ZMF November happened, so I ordered my "all B-Stock package": the Auteur Suede pads, random Atmos S cables, and a mixed-wood Salire. I finally got them in today (after USPS lost them for almost a week), and each item has exceeded my expectations.

All B-Stock All-Star

The Auteur Suede pads have magically fixed all my resonance dips, and they sound 90% there to my personal preferences without any EQ already. They went from "meh, maybe this is as good as closed backs get" to "wow this is amazing" in one quick pad swap, and a quick EQ got them to "simply sublime". Thanks very much, Zach, for somehow magically knowing these were what I needed!

The Atmos S cables sound just like my existing DIY kit version, so nothing new to write home about – but they still look very neat with the different plugs. The mixed wood B-stock Salire are pretty sweet looking. I think the two wood combination complements each other well enough, and if I didn't order them as B-stock, I may not have even noticed. Seriously, ZMF B-stocks are legit A-stock units!
Yes, I used to have a VC and the Auteur (lambskin) pads sounded best on them. I have never liked suede pads.

Nov 30, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #1,416 of 2,411
Why does Homage solely utilize balanced outputs? If the amplifier is distinctively single-ended, wouldn’t it be more logical to also include a 6.35mm output?
We wanted to go with a desktop output for full sized headphones and an output for portable/iems, while the 1/4 and xlr would absolutely sound the same, it seemed to make more sense to go with a portable output and a desktop out output for the most versatility.

Many audiophiles and headphone people perceive the XLR output as better, even though it's just placebo, but as you know, placebo is a very real effect in this world!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 30, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #1,417 of 2,411
@zach915m While on the topic of outputs: I forgot to check when I was peeking under the hood earlier, but are the "balanced" outputs on the Homage safe to use with a single-ended adapter (e.g., 1/4" TRS to 4-pin XLR)? I'd assume that since it's internally single-ended, it should be – but I figured I'd ask for the official answer.

Nov 30, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #1,418 of 2,411
We wanted to go with a desktop output for full sized headphones and an output for portable/iems, while the 1/4 and xlr would absolutely sound the same, it seemed to make more sense to go with a portable output and a desktop out output for the most versatility.

Many audiophiles and headphone people perceive the XLR output as better, even though it's just placebo, but as you know, placebo is a very real effect in this world!
still it would be beneficial to include a 6.35 output, but i get your point. thank you zach

Nov 30, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #1,419 of 2,411

All B-Stock All-Star

Told you the Auteur Suede are the best!

Nov 30, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #1,420 of 2,411
@zach915m While on the topic of outputs: I forgot to check when I was peeking under the hood earlier, but are the "balanced" outputs on the Homage safe to use with a single-ended adapter (e.g., 1/4" TRS to 4-pin XLR)? I'd assume that since it's internally single-ended, it should be – but I figured I'd ask for the official answer.
Let me ask @jseaber and make sure! I don't want to lead you astray 🤷

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 30, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #1,421 of 2,411
Nov 30, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #1,422 of 2,411

All B-Stock All-Star

Nice! Auteur suede are my favorite pads for VC too. Gorgeous VC, btw. Love the blue + natural wood look with the aged copper rods.

Nov 30, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #1,423 of 2,411
Nov 30, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #1,424 of 2,411
Raytheon 2C52 and it's easily my favorite. I snagged the last two from Tube Depot and they're the quietest tube that I've gotten a chance to try. I have a Sylvania 12SL7 and a Sylvania coin base 12SL7 but they're a bit noisier. I haven't gotten a chance to try any really fancy 12AT7 tubes yet since I've been content with the Raytheon.
Raytheon 2C52 is an excellent choice. I’ve tried several 12A_7 variants. I roll ‘em, but I’m not sure if I could them apart blindfolded. Fun stuff though. This tool is helpful with the tube journey….TV-7A/U tester. Circa 1955.

IMG_0456.jpeg

Nov 30, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #1,425 of 2,411
Another thing to consider is once you find a combo you really like, buy some spares while they’re still available. There’s no guaranteed supply for NOS tubes.
1626 output tubes are still readily available (and relatively inexpensive), but having spares is good. The nine pin alternate output tube on the Kenzies is 12B4A. They offer more output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back