ZMF Caldera Closed
May 22, 2024 at 8:03 AM Post #706 of 879
Thoughts that come to mind while listening with the CC paired up with the Aegis.

TOTL levels of detail and resolution without any fatigue, and without any part of the frequency being overwhelming.

Staging for days, and impact and texture you can feel, without sounding overdone. There is just enough pressure and the sound really breathes.

Notes seem to trail off and decay forever, and you can really hear the room.

The CC sound high end, and very natural, and continue to blow my mind every time I listen.

I honestly don't want to use any other headphone, and the CC has truly won my heart. This headphone has it all, and then some I did not even know was possible.

For all you ZMF close back fans like myself, the CC is the pinnacle of the ZMF closed back sound in my opinion and is what I have been dreaming of for years. My VC's have their strengths yet have their weaknesses as well, and same goes for my beloved Atticus. The CC are just flat out magical top to bottom.

I can seriously listen loud and proud with the CC all day long without fatigue and never stop being amazed the entire time, song after song.
So to reiterate my point, the CC are the close back of all close backs in my opinion. Zach has truly created a masterpiece with the Caldera Closed, and I can't wait for more to discover this.

Long live the CC!!!
Pretty much how I’m seeing things too.

May 22, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #707 of 879
Thoughts that come to mind while listening with the CC paired up with the Aegis.

TOTL levels of detail and resolution without any fatigue, and without any part of the frequency being overwhelming.

Staging for days, and impact and texture you can feel, without sounding overdone. There is just enough pressure and the sound really breathes.

Notes seem to trail off and decay forever, and you can really hear the room.

The CC sound high end, and very natural, and continue to blow my mind every time I listen.

I honestly don't want to use any other headphone, and the CC has truly won my heart. This headphone has it all, and then some I did not even know was possible.

For all you ZMF close back fans like myself, the CC is the pinnacle of the ZMF closed back sound in my opinion and is what I have been dreaming of for years. My VC's have their strengths yet have their weaknesses as well, and same goes for my beloved Atticus. The CC are just flat out magical top to bottom.

I can seriously listen loud and proud with the CC all day long without fatigue, and never stop being amazed the entire time song after song.

So to reiterate my point, the CC are the closed back of all closed backs in my opinion. Zach has truly created a masterpiece with the Caldera Closed, and I can't wait for more to discover this.

Long live the CC!!!
So does the CC dethrone either the AC or Bokeh for you when fun is the directive? :) Tough question eh! :wink: I'm not quite there yet, though I do really like what the CC is doing. But if i'm totally honest, I'd still take the thicker, more euphonic AC and Bokeh for a one and only, push come to shove. Where the CC is a technical marvel that is fun, the AC and Bokeh are just a marvel in excitement for me. I've been rotating in the Bokeh and AC lately to see how the CC fares in a rotation vs being the only listen, and I find myself still rocking out harder to the less technically adept sets. Listening to them was like coming home, a warm and comforting feeling. I think they just hit my sonic prefences better than anything yet. Curious how you're feeling.

Now I have to admit you have quite the advantage with the Aegis running the CC. The Tuba I have does an admirable job, but I know it's far from optimal for it. The wait for the Aegis is excruciating!

May 22, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #708 of 879
So does the CC dethrone either the AC or Bokeh for you when fun is the directive? :) Tough question eh! :wink: I'm not quite there yet, though I do really like what the CC is doing. But if i'm totally honest, I'd still take the thicker, more euphonic AC and Bokeh for a one and only, push come to shove. Where the CC is a technical marvel that is fun, the AC and Bokeh are just a marvel in excitement for me. I've been rotating in the Bokeh and AC lately to see how the CC fares in a rotation vs being the only listen, and I find myself still rocking out harder to the less technically adept sets. Listening to them was like coming home, a warm and comforting feeling. I think they just hit my sonic prefences better than anything yet. Curious how you're feeling.

Now I have to admit you have quite the advantage with the Aegis running the CC. The Tuba I have does an admirable job, but I know it's far from optimal for it. The wait for the Aegis is excruciating!
The CC dethrone every headphone I have ever heard, and it's not really even close for me.

They do have a very special synergy with the Aegis, and I believe my warmer DAC (Sonnet Morpheus) is playing a big role with that synergy as well.

With the system I am using, they have enough weight, impact and "fun", to totally satisfy my preferences, and then throw in their insane speed, detail and staging and it's pure magic. I want for nothing and listen in total awe. I also definitely start moving to groove if it's there.

I can't wait until you hear them with the Aegis!

May 22, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #709 of 879
Aegis with almost any ZMF though is just chef's kiss! The Atrium Open and Closed sounded the best I've heard of them with that amp. You got me very curious to hear the Caldera Closed at CanJam for sure!

May 23, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #710 of 879
I've mainly been using the CC at work on my Tuba amp, a great amp but far from TOTL. So last night I gave the CC a run on my Stratus, and that opened my eyes to how much the CC scales. It gained even more separation and resolution, but also sounded smoother and more relaxed. And the bass..... wooo the Stratus made the CC's bass really stand out. Also everything just seemed larger, if that makes any sense. If you were to visualize the performers, they seemed bigger but not necessarily closer. I think it's a trick of the 2a3 valves, they seem to have a magic to them that no other amp i've heard has. Makes me pine for a 300b amp.

May 23, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #711 of 879
I've mainly been using the CC at work on my Tuba amp, a great amp but far from TOTL. So last night I gave the CC a run on my Stratus, and that opened my eyes to how much the CC scales. It gained even more separation and resolution, but also sounded smoother and more relaxed. And the bass..... wooo the Stratus made the CC's bass really stand out. Also everything just seemed larger, if that makes any sense. If you were to visualize the performers, they seemed bigger but not necessarily closer. I think it's a trick of the 2a3 valves, they seem to have a magic to them that no other amp i've heard has. Makes me pine for a 300b amp.
When you get the Aegis, I bet it will quell that thirst for any other amps to pair with the CC. :wink:

May 23, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #712 of 879

zach915m​

I'd recommend trying the lighter mesh before taking it off. If you buy the CC you'll get the stock mesh by default and can either add the tuning kit for $150 with all teh pads and mesh or just the lighter mesh with the secondary pads for $20.
Zach, where can I find information regarding wood and sound differences for the caldera closed? Which is harder stock or LTD? If I liked harder wood for AC does it mean I’d like harder wood for CC as well?

May 23, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #713 of 879
Last evening i had one of those moments where all of the stars and planets aligned and was treated to audio nirvana. Pushing the 'shuffle' button on Roon while in my 'Headsets' playlist, I was treated to, in this order:

The Caldera closed is capable of some seriously epic separation and detail retrieval, some of the deepest and most holographic 3Dness of any headphone I've heard, a midrange that is so smooth the guitars sound like butter, and most importantly keeping it all together and maintaining supreme musicality.

Man, I was rockin last night, and that's what it's all about!!!

May 23, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #714 of 879

zach915m​

Zach, where can I find information regarding wood and sound differences for the caldera closed? Which is harder stock or LTD? If I liked harder wood for AC does it mean I’d like harder wood for CC as well?
The Shedua is marginally harder - but not through Janka really just in the dried weight. So mass is from specific gravity/density vs outright hardness if that makes any sense. So the Shedua might have a slightly more firm sound, but it's all small enough that I'd suggest choosing with your eyes more than anything.

The planar closed back because of driver type I've found to have a little less impact on sound than the Atrium Closed - but that being said, I haven't even made a Blackwood CC yet.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 23, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #716 of 879
The Shedua is marginally harder - but not through Janka really just in the dried weight. So mass is from specific gravity/density vs outright hardness if that makes any sense. So the Shedua might have a slightly more firm sound, but it's all small enough that I'd suggest choosing with your eyes more than anything.

The planar closed back because of driver type I've found to have a little less impact on sound than the Atrium Closed - but that being said, I haven't even made a Blackwood CC yet.
A Blackwood CC would be insane though, love the wood a lot

May 23, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #717 of 879
A Blackwood CC would be insane though, love the wood a lot
Agreed, though my heart lusts for a burly CC. Or a Cocobolo CC. ❤️

May 23, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #718 of 879
May 23, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #719 of 879
my heart is set on black and white ebony 😍
I was just going through our lot the other day. We have some pieces that are just a touch small going to see if we can glue a small veneer on to make them to size and still machine them. Wish me luck.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back