ZMF Caldera Closed
Mar 15, 2024 at 8:49 AM Post #76 of 339
Great pic! That really shows the angles well, and I love everything about it.
Thanks for the comment! But just to clarify, the picture is not mine (I wish it were....but I didn't assist to Canjam NYC), it's just coppied from a previous post.

And agree with you that it shows the angles vey well and it's a very nice set

Mar 15, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #77 of 339
Here comes the one and only "Volcano":

Storz-Bickel - Volcano
volcano_classic_silver_0_1.jpg

Mar 15, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #79 of 339
Might I very respectfully point out, as an owner of a VC and CO, that this headphone is called the ‘Caldera’ and not the ‘Volcano’. The volcano is the upward facing triangular pointy thing that belches out fire and smoke and noxious gases, the Caldera on the other hand is what’s left after the volcano has collapsed in on itself after the magma chamber has emptied itself and left a vast underground chamber. Unable to support the weight of the big pointy thing it disappears into the hole and what remains mostly no longer looks like a volcano. You American cousins of mine have your own famous Crater Lake as an example of what often happens to a caldera after it has formed.

C'mon dude, it's a theme...

Mar 15, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #80 of 339
Volcano and Caldera have great synergy.

Mar 15, 2024 at 9:35 AM Post #83 of 339
I've posted this pic before, but this is my favorite of my prototype CCs.

zYAtxcX.jpg

I like the flame running perpendicular to the grain of the Ash on this set, combined with Zach's tasteful burst finish.
Is that the stock burnt ash?

Mar 15, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #84 of 339
Ha well, it seems the shape of the cups has been polarizing, at least online, it didn't seem as much at Canjam but then again people tend to sugar coat things to me. I do think those who don't like them from how they look online will appreciate the more in person, and those who like the way they look will absolutely love them in the hand and face to face.

Anyways - since we only mostly have the cup shapes and not a ton of listening so far here's some info on the cups.

I definitely wanted to emulate a mountain, growing up in NH and skiing a lot you see triangle shapes in the face of many mountains, and they appear naturally. You also come across a lot of asymmetry which this cup has, and hard edges and rounded melding surfaces, all of which is going on here, there are lots of compound radiuses and more, which I know is hard to see.

Here is an excerpt from this national geographic article:https://education.nationalgeographic.org/resource/types-volcanic-cones/

A volcanic cone is a triangle-shaped hill formed as material from volcanic eruptions piles up around the volcanic vent, or opening in Earth's crust. Most volcanic cones have one volcanic crater, or central depression, at the top. They are probably the most familiar type of volcanic mountain.

Further, if you put the cups together past the triangular "build up" (I'll show pictures when I have time to take them) face to face, the concave shape on the top of the cup forms a volcanic crater, much the way a real volcano does.

But anyways - I'm somewhat glad they're polarizing, I promise they will have many looks, many of them seamless without grain lines like the first LTD edition which will be Shedua wood (ovangkol) where it'll be much harder to see the angular nature because there aren't many grain lines.

But for those who like the angles, the stock wood will be the burnt ash that accentuates that nature.

Anyways - thanks for the fun debate on the cups as well.
Any pics of the LTD Shedua wood CC?

Mar 15, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #88 of 339
Well, that’s good question. The peak of the volcano has collapsed relative to its original height but there’s still some active Magma down below so is it still an aging volcano or a youthful caldera? The telephone lines are now open for voting…
For your information, Yellowstone in the US is a Caldera. It is the remnants of a super-volcano that last erupted over half-a-million years ago. It is huge. I don’t think an image of it would fit on one of Zach’s creations.

Mar 15, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #89 of 339
Fascinating (if this were a geological thread)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back