ZMF Caldera Closed
Mar 14, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #61 of 289
I hope you still have some blackwood for Caldera closed, I love that wood I have it on the back of one of my Classical guitars

I think I might like that as well. Would look really classy.

Mar 14, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #62 of 289
Mar 14, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #63 of 289
I've posted this pic before, but this is my favorite of my prototype CCs.

zYAtxcX.jpg

I like the flame running perpendicular to the grain of the Ash on this set, combined with Zach's tasteful burst finish.

Mar 14, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #64 of 289

zYAtxcX.jpg

I like the flame running perpendicular to the grain of the Ash on this set, combined with Zach's tasteful burst finish.
This finish does look really good with the triangles!

Mar 14, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #65 of 289

zYAtxcX.jpg

Ash wood makes everything looks good, but very cool finish on this one..

Mar 14, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #66 of 289

zYAtxcX.jpg

Yeah, this looks pretty good. I do get just using round cups would make every close ZMF look the same. I didn’t know about the symbols and letters on the headband, so at last CanJam, kept asking what headphone was what. They all looked the same to me.

I guess I’m just trying to figure out why this shape and this positioning? Does it have anything to do with a Caldera? And is the shape purely cosmetic? The inside is same the regardless the outside shape?

Mar 14, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #67 of 289
So, I may have started the whole "triangle looks bad" thing, but I think I need to clarify. I typically don't give a sh!t what it looks like (the TCs are my favorite headphones FWIW), but when I'm buying a ZMF product I want good looks. When you buy a ZMF product you are paying for the wood and the craftmanship, as well as the sound. I almost didn't sell my Massacar VCs because they looked so good. I think there could be something to either distinguish the triangle or hide it. When I buy a ZMF product, I expect amazing visuals. It doesn't matter....but it does. :beyersmile:

I either want the triangle to be separated or I want it hidden. I can imagine some stabilized units with the triangle distinguished, and also some units where there triangle is hidden. It's an interesting, if not odd, choice for a closed back. I can understand Zach's desire to do something different and I can appreciate that. But, still, it looks a bit strange. 🤷‍♂️

Mar 14, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #68 of 289
I don’t think I’ve seen a pic with them being worn. But does the triangle point upwards so it’s like the volcano exploding? Is that the concept here? I don’t think I’ll change my mind on the burnt edge ones but open to see what other woods will bring to this shape.

I also need to make sure I try them with the stock pads when I finally hear at SoCal CanJam. It seems not only was there pad swapping at New York, but the wrong pads were used at one point. So hard to trust anyone’s opinions. And final tuning is not out yet.

Also want to throw another pic of Theo when he’s not in my chair.
IMG_1620.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 9:35 PM Post #69 of 289
Ha well, it seems the shape of the cups has been polarizing, at least online, it didn't seem as much at Canjam but then again people tend to sugar coat things to me. I do think those who don't like them from how they look online will appreciate the more in person, and those who like the way they look will absolutely love them in the hand and face to face.

Anyways - since we only mostly have the cup shapes and not a ton of listening so far here's some info on the cups.

I definitely wanted to emulate a mountain, growing up in NH and skiing a lot you see triangle shapes in the face of many mountains, and they appear naturally. You also come across a lot of asymmetry which this cup has, and hard edges and rounded melding surfaces, all of which is going on here, there are lots of compound radiuses and more, which I know is hard to see.

Here is an excerpt from this national geographic article:https://education.nationalgeographic.org/resource/types-volcanic-cones/

A volcanic cone is a triangle-shaped hill formed as material from volcanic eruptions piles up around the volcanic vent, or opening in Earth's crust. Most volcanic cones have one volcanic crater, or central depression, at the top. They are probably the most familiar type of volcanic mountain.

Further, if you put the cups together past the triangular "build up" (I'll show pictures when I have time to take them) face to face, the concave shape on the top of the cup forms a volcanic crater, much the way a real volcano does.

But anyways - I'm somewhat glad they're polarizing, I promise they will have many looks, many of them seamless without grain lines like the first LTD edition which will be Shedua wood (ovangkol) where it'll be much harder to see the angular nature because there aren't many grain lines.

But for those who like the angles, the stock wood will be the burnt ash that accentuates that nature.

Anyways - thanks for the fun debate on the cups as well.

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 14, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #70 of 289
I agree with the guy who said it works better with the Queensland Maple. That one puts me in mind of a fancy set of 20-sided dice.

I think this design is going to look its absolute best with stabilized resin versions down the road.

Mar 15, 2024 at 1:12 AM Post #71 of 289
I have to say, I was not expecting the CC cup design to be so divisive. I personally love it and think it is an exciting play with the forms which is refreshing in its difference compared to the traditional approach. Plus, if my memories are correct, the shape plays a role in internal cup acoustics too, so it also has a functional purpose.
I generally like when different manufacturers take a risk with an unconventional design, but honestly didn't think the CC will be so far out for some people. I don't think, it is.
100 percent agree. Not only do I like the design, I think a lot of folks have hit the nail on the head with regards to how this cup design will “morph” visually based on material and surface treatment.

I love my rounded ACs and VCs too, but the distinctive (yet, in my view, relatively subtle and tasteful) cup design/shape gives Zach and team a different “canvas” on which to use their many talents.

Cocobolo, you say? African Blackwood, you say? Oh my, this is going to be fun!

Off we go, into the exciting future! :o2smile:

Mar 15, 2024 at 1:20 AM Post #72 of 289
Mar 15, 2024 at 3:51 AM Post #73 of 289
Ha well, it seems the shape of the cups has been polarizing, at least online, it didn't seem as much at Canjam but then again people tend to sugar coat things to me. I do think those who don't like them from how they look online will appreciate the more in person, and those who like the way they look will absolutely love them in the hand and face to face.

Anyways - since we only mostly have the cup shapes and not a ton of listening so far here's some info on the cups.

I definitely wanted to emulate a mountain, growing up in NH and skiing a lot you see triangle shapes in the face of many mountains, and they appear naturally. You also come across a lot of asymmetry which this cup has, and hard edges and rounded melding surfaces, all of which is going on here, there are lots of compound radiuses and more, which I know is hard to see.

Here is an excerpt from this national geographic article:https://education.nationalgeographic.org/resource/types-volcanic-cones/

A volcanic cone is a triangle-shaped hill formed as material from volcanic eruptions piles up around the volcanic vent, or opening in Earth's crust. Most volcanic cones have one volcanic crater, or central depression, at the top. They are probably the most familiar type of volcanic mountain.

Further, if you put the cups together past the triangular "build up" (I'll show pictures when I have time to take them) face to face, the concave shape on the top of the cup forms a volcanic crater, much the way a real volcano does.

But anyways - I'm somewhat glad they're polarizing, I promise they will have many looks, many of them seamless without grain lines like the first LTD edition which will be Shedua wood (ovangkol) where it'll be much harder to see the angular nature because there aren't many grain lines.

But for those who like the angles, the stock wood will be the burnt ash that accentuates that nature.

Anyways - thanks for the fun debate on the cups as well.
Might I very respectfully point out, as an owner of a VC and CO, that this headphone is called the ‘Caldera’ and not the ‘Volcano’. The volcano is the upward facing triangular pointy thing that belches out fire and smoke and noxious gases, the Caldera on the other hand is what’s left after the volcano has collapsed in on itself after the magma chamber has emptied itself and left a vast underground chamber. Unable to support the weight of the big pointy thing it disappears into the hole and what remains mostly no longer looks like a volcano. You American cousins of mine have your own famous Crater Lake as an example of what often happens to a caldera after it has formed.

Mar 15, 2024 at 7:46 AM Post #74 of 289
Well, sometimes new things (and shapes) can seem a little strange at first, until your brain gets used to it. Honestly, I like it, it's something different, new, well done!

This particular set seems perfect to me, I love it!

1710503359012.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 8:32 AM Post #75 of 289
Well, sometimes new things (and shapes) can seem a little strange at first, until your brain gets used to it. Honestly, I like it, it's something different, new, well done!

This particular set seems perfect to me, I love it!

1710503359012.jpeg
Great pic! That really shows the angles well, and I love everything about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back