ZMF Caldera Closed
Mar 14, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #46 of 289
I will add that - there's a certain seller on Ali Express that has been both copying our headphone cups, and providing very similar designs to DIY'ers and one man businesses. While I have nothing against a small headphone business ofcourse, it's not fun for stuff I spent years working on to be copied. I've bought the copied cups and while the cups aren't anywhere near the quality that we can do in our own machine shop, from a picture online it can be hard to tell that.

So anyways - I'm trying my best to make it hard to copy us as well haha with unique designs that I like.

Hmm I have been Cocobolo collecting a lot lately.

Likely though it will be Shedua or Queensland maple that I bought just for this, but yes you'll definitely see all the cool stuff and eventually the custom shop will make some of that more attainable.
Is the custom shop still planned for this year?

Mar 14, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #47 of 289
My useless 2 cents on the cup design is simply that my brain wants to see the flat edge on the bottom. It looks more like a volcano that way. (Truly a caldera)

Mar 14, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #48 of 289
I also don't think the triangle jives too well with that stock wood, but it really worked with the Queensland Maple, IMO. I posted a photo of it in the CanJam NYC 2024 Impressions thread, but here it is again in case you missed it there. It's the headphone at the rear, obviously.

zmf.jpg
Interesting post. I didn't see that maple CC.

I'm sorta/kinda in the don't-like-the-triangle camp ... then again, I know how much the look of an earcup (any earcup) can be transformed by the choice of wood, its specific grain and figure. So I'm filing that aesthetic concern in the TBD file.

But the sound of the CC ... another matter altogether. I was greatly impressed by that (also aware the sound isn't yet completely nailed down, because pads are still TBD). I also was knocked out by the sound of an Atrium Closed I heard in the Schiit booth with miniature electronics that no doubt aren't the height of sophistication--and that headphone still sounded like money.

Exciting times in ZMF-land...

Mar 14, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #50 of 289
I will add that - there's a certain seller on Ali Express that has been both copying our headphone cups, and providing very similar designs to DIY'ers and one man businesses. While I have nothing against a small headphone business ofcourse, it's not fun for stuff I spent years working on to be copied. I've bought the copied cups and while the cups aren't anywhere near the quality that we can do in our own machine shop, from a picture online it can be hard to tell that.

So anyways - I'm trying my best to make it hard to copy us as well haha with unique designs that I like.

Hmm I have been Cocobolo collecting a lot lately.

Likely though it will be Shedua or Queensland maple that I bought just for this, but yes you'll definitely see all the cool stuff and eventually the custom shop will make some of that more attainable.
I hope you still have some blackwood for Caldera closed, I love that wood I have it on the back of one of my Classical guitars

Mar 14, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #51 of 289
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 14, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #52 of 289
there's a certain seller on Ali Express that has been both copying our headphone cups

Just like Eames chairs have many cheap copycats... great products that we well designed from outstanding brands stand on their own as their knockoffs attract people who wouldn’t invest in the real thing. Being worth copying is an implicit complement to your success (even when annoying😉).

Mar 14, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #54 of 289
Just like Eames chairs have many cheap copycats... great products that we well designed from outstanding brands stand on their own as their knockoffs attract people who wouldn’t invest in the real thing. Being worth copying is an implicit complement to your success (even when annoying😉).
Speaking of Eames copycats 🤪 The cat is real but Eames chair is not. My dad gave me this 1970’s Sears knockoff.

Attachments

• IMG_3752.jpeg
    IMG_3752.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Mar 14, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #55 of 289
I have to say, I was not expecting the CC cup design to be so divisive. I personally love it and think it is an exciting play with the forms which is refreshing in its difference compared to the traditional approach. Plus, if my memories are correct, the shape plays a role in internal cup acoustics too, so it also has a functional purpose.
I generally like when different manufacturers take a risk with an unconventional design, but honestly didn't think the CC will be so far out for some people. I don't think, it is.

Mar 14, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #56 of 289
Speaking of Eames copycats 🤪 The cat is real but Eames chair is not. My dad gave me this 1970’s Sears knockoff.

that picture is just precious. this cat looks like.. well.. a cool cat..

Mar 14, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #57 of 289
I have to say, I was not expecting the CC cup design to be so divisive. I personally love it and think it is an exciting play with the forms which is refreshing in its difference compared to the traditional approach. Plus, if my memories are correct, the shape plays a role in internal cup acoustics too, so it also has a functional purpose.
I generally like when different manufacturers take a risk with an unconventional design, but honestly didn't think the CC will be so far out for some people. I don't think, it is.

I'm with you on that one. Love bold new designs and innovation. this hits the spot for me design wise

at the end though, there'll be many woods, stablized, etc.. that everyone will ikely find what they like.

Mar 14, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #58 of 289
I love innovation and daring new designs but …. the CC cup design isn’t one of them. It would be great if Zach could have 2 CCs, one a conventional round design like the AC and the other with that triangle thingy. Though it’s probably just wishful thinking on my part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back