ZMF Caldera Closed
Mar 13, 2024 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 289

goldwerger

Watercooler Travel Team
Hi everyone,

With the highly anticipated upcoming launch of ZMF's lated closed backed planar headphone - the Caldera Closed - it is time to start a new thread here on Head-Fi.

As it becomes available, more information will follow below in these tops posts.

Meantime, as these headphones were showcased at CanJam NYC this past weekend where many of us had the privilege to demo them for the first time, we can begin sharing impressions here and add to this discussion as more comes to market!

1710379020595.png

as it becomes available

Mar 13, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #2 of 289
(reserved)

Mar 13, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 289
I’ve been looking forward to this one for a looong while. I’ve no doubt these will take the cake as the top closed-back planar money can buy… :)

It’s also great to see some innovation in the aesthetics department as well. These things look wicked!

Looking forward to reading future impressions and reviews.

Mar 13, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #4 of 289
I’ve been looking forward to this one for a looong while. I’ve no doubt these will take the cake as the top closed-back planar money can buy… :)

It’s also great to see some innovation in the aesthetics department as well. These things look wicked!

Looking forward to reading future impressions and reviews.

I love that design! reminds me of the superman logo.. very distinct. The 3D angular design is also satisfying the touch... :ksc75smile:

I found the headphones really comfortable (as usual).

In my first impressions from CanJam, I found the CC offer great resolution and an excellent, linear, bass extension (as compared to the AC's more elevated sub-bass and euphonic presentation), beautiful warm mids, and a gentle treble roll off.

This is near final tuning and super promising!!

Mar 13, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #5 of 289
Posted the following on the CanJam impressions thread. It was hard to get a decent listening on day-1 but second day was fun on these excellent stations:

The LTA Z10e paired very well as did the DCS Lina stack and Feliks Audio Envy. So, I would not normally play a blues rock track like “Good Love” by Black Keys w/Billy Gibbons on guitar on a planar HP vs a dynamic, but the Caldera Closed nailed it. Great work on the Caldera Closed and another well done product!
20240310_112728.jpg
20240310_125308.jpg
20240310_124011.jpg

The Feliks Audio Envy pairing was fantastic. I love the Ash cups as the wood has nice texture and light weight.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 289
I'm gonna come out and say it. I don't like the triangle, in terms of looks. Though, I'd imagine there could be some good stabilized options with it. I'll probably wait for some different woods or a stabilized version. I have the Caldera open and really love it, so a closed version makes sense for me, but I want it to look nice as well. 🤷‍♂️ :pill:

Mar 13, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #7 of 289
I love the Ash cups as the wood has nice texture and light weight.

I'm a sucker for these kind of woods. And, that one is really surprisingly light.

The LTA Z10e paired very well as did the DCS Lina stack and Feliks Audio Envy.

I had that pair in the picture for the evening prior to the show (only had an hour with it) and it had excellent synergy with the DIY Aegis, Auris Nirvana, and AIC10. The Caldera open scale wonderfully with powerful amps, so I'm not surprising we are finding the same with the CC.

I also tried it off the new ZMF Aegis, and that was great too.

Mar 13, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #8 of 289
I'm gonna come out and say it. I don't like the triangle, in terms of looks. Though, I'd imagine there could be some good stabilized options with it. I'll probably wait for some different woods or a stabilized version. I have the Caldera open and really love it, so a closed version makes sense for me, but I want it to look nice as well. 🤷‍♂️ :pill:
It’s definitely going to be a love it or hate it design. I also suspect it looks better in person.

I personally find round cups to be the most attractive. I find the VC to be the most aesthetically pleasing of the ZMF lineup. I just don’t get the same rise with any open-back on the market (aesthetically.)

Currently, the VC, AC, and ATH-AWKG are the most beautiful headphones I’ve laid eyes on. I love wood. 🪵

Still, I think the Caldera Closed looks pretty cool, and am glad that Zach is taking risks and trying new things out. That’s what sets ZMF apart.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #9 of 289
I also don't think the triangle jives too well with that stock wood, but it really worked with the Queensland Maple, IMO. I posted a photo of it in the CanJam NYC 2024 Impressions thread, but here it is again in case you missed it there. It's the headphone at the rear, obviously.

zmf.jpg

Mar 13, 2024 at 10:14 PM Post #10 of 289
I also don't think the triangle jives too well with that stock wood, but it really worked with the Queensland Maple, IMO. I posted a photo of it in the CanJam NYC 2024 Impressions thread, but here it is again in case you missed it there. It's the headphone at the rear, obviously.

That queenswood maple (which I missed at the show) is super cool and completely agree it works. Kind of blends the physical contours and wood grain so they are seamless. Very nice..

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #11 of 289
I listened to both the Caldera Closed and the Caldera Open through the kindness of @goldwerger connected to his Riviera AIC-10. A beautiful amp. I found that I much preferred the Caldera Open. I preferred its presentation, mids, even the bass. At the show in the ZMF room I was comparing the Atrium Closed with the Atrium Open and figured the same would occur and I would prefer the Open. On the contrary, I ended up preferring the Atrium Closed on the Holo Audio Stack. Much better bass and overall timbre. I also heard the new HP’s as well. My favorites ended up being the Caldera Open and the Atrium Closed for what it’s worth.

Mar 13, 2024 at 10:21 PM Post #12 of 289
Yeah, I’m not sold on this look at least based on all the pictures. Hoping in person and with different woods my opinion might change. I know this was also to help give a more unique look than continuing to use round cups. I was kind of hoping for some advanced laser etching design similar to the grills.

Edit: Queensland Maple does look better but only because it hides the shape. Think round Queensland would look even better.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 10:22 PM Post #13 of 289

zmf.jpg
This one where the edges are less pronounced I definitely like better than the burnt models where the triangle is accentuated - but overall I agree, I'm just not feeling the cup design of this one, though I'm sure it will sound awesome.

In terms of the ZMF closed-backs I think the AC takes the cake as the best looking, but overall I always prefer the open models visually.

Mar 13, 2024 at 10:27 PM Post #14 of 289
On the contrary, I ended up preferring the Atrium Closed

yea, the AC is really amazing and one of my all-time favorite headphones..

for the CC, the pads are still work-in-progess, and those end up making a very big impact on tuning (and, the choice of which pads you choose can really transform the headphones). so curious to see what the final options will be.

Mar 13, 2024 at 10:40 PM Post #15 of 289

That queenswood maple (which I missed at the show) is super cool and completely agree it works. Kind of blends the physical contours and wood grain so they are seamless. Very nice..
I'm not minding the geometric shaping but I'd like it if the triangular shape was smoothed out a little a more maybe to get a C inside a C sort of motif. I prefer seamless curves as well. The angular edge toward the front of the cup does kind of bother me. It integrates better with some of the woods where it is not so noticeable but yeah smoothing that part out a little more would appeal to me.
CC-edge.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back