ZMF Caldera Closed
May 11, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #556 of 738
I had some extra time and a writing frenzy last night, so decided to publish my thoughts on the Caldera closed a bit ahead of schedule. Next one will be the Bokeh.
Thank you Zach!
Great review! To all who are reading and wondering what this headphone sounds like, @betula's review is truth.

Those are the most beautiful pair of CO I have seen by the way!

Good stuff, and excellent photos with really good lighting!

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 10:09 AM Post #557 of 738
I'm also very interested in your opinions on the best ZMFs for metal. Currently own VC, AC, AO. I tend to like more and more both closed cans, Atriums O recently became for me a little too shouty. Now considering selling one the above and getting CC or CO for faster - paced and more complex music. CC is sooo tempting, especially this beautiful limited edition :wink:
I listen to a lot of fast aggressive metal and hard rock, and by far the CO is the best for these. Second place would be my Ironwood VO (the Ironwood is extremely dense so the sound is faster and more concise than on most VOs). The VO is similar to the CO but more analog in comparison, kind of like a solid state amp versus an equivalent tube amp. I go back and forth, but the CO is better for the metal and the VO is better for the hard rock, especially hard rock with male vocals. I have owned 2 VCs but they are tuned in a way I don't like, with such a high peak in the upper-mids that I have to adjust the volume to that peak, which means the volume is too low for all the other frequencies. I would think, if that isn't an issue for you, the VC would definately be best for metal, if the alternatives are AC and AO. In my opinion, the AO is the worst by far for anything with much heavy distorted electric guitar because it gets quickly crowded and unpleasant in the upper-mid region where heavy distorted electric guitar occupies. Others have made the same observation. Others have said the AC is good for rock/metal. It doesn't have the problem the AO has, but I like detail and clarity and the AC is too slow, bassy and V shaped for that. If that doesn't bother you (I think it doesn't bother most, I just don't like warm), then the AC could be good with metal, assuming it is a hardwood AC. If it is an AC with a softer wood, then it will probably have too much lingering bass for rock or metal, but apparently you can overcome most of this problem with suede pads, so that could be something to consider.

May 11, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #559 of 738
I listen to a lot of fast aggressive metal and hard rock, and by far the CO is the best for these. Second place would be my Ironwood VO (the Ironwood is extremely dense so the sound is faster and more concise than on most VOs). The VO is similar to the CO but more analog in comparison, kind of like a solid state amp versus an equivalent tube amp. I go back and forth, but the CO is better for the metal and the VO is better for the hard rock, especially hard rock with male vocals. I have owned 2 VCs but they are tuned in a way I don't like, with such a high peak in the upper-mids that I have to adjust the volume to that peak, which means the volume is too low for all the other frequencies. I would think, if that isn't an issue for you, the VC would definately be best for metal, if the alternatives are AC and AO. In my opinion, the AO is the worst by far for anything with much heavy distorted electric guitar because it gets quickly crowded and unpleasant in the upper-mid region where heavy distorted electric guitar occupies. Others have made the same observation. Others have said the AC is good for rock/metal. It doesn't have the problem the AO has, but I like detail and clarity and the AC is too slow, bassy and V shaped for that. If that doesn't bother you (I think it doesn't bother most, I just don't like warm), then the AC could be good with metal, assuming it is a hardwood AC. If it is an AC with a softer wood, then it will probably have too much lingering bass for rock or metal, but apparently you can overcome most of this problem with suede pads, so that could be something to consider.
Thanks! I agree with the differences between AC, AO and VC. My AC is olive wood. Seems that I need to give a chance to to Caldera finally!

May 11, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #560 of 738
Great review! To all who are reading and wondering what this headphone sounds like, @betula's review is truth.

Those are the most beautiful pair of CO I have seen by the way!

Good stuff, and excellent photos with really good lighting!
Thank you! Best lighting comes from the Sun itself, but we could use a bit more sunshine here in England. :) I literally ran to the window with all the headphones to have a chance. :)

May 11, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #562 of 738
Is there a general consensus on magnesium vs aluminum chassis? Los it really only the weight difference that you pay for? What exactly is the difference for the CC?

May 11, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #563 of 738
Is there a general consensus on magnesium vs aluminum chassis? Los it really only the weight difference that you pay for? What exactly is the difference for the CC?
It's just the weight and a small aesthetic difference. I like magnesium when I can get it, but once the headphones are on you forget about those small details as you are swept away in the music :)

May 11, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #564 of 738
@zach915m @AnyDave could you please confirm the weight difference of the magnesium vs aluminum chassis on the CC?

And is there a way to order the Ash CC with the BBB strap?

May 11, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #565 of 738
I think, you can save 34g with the magnesium chassis (or around 30g). I also think, it is worth it.
Earlier there were issues with the paint chipping easier on magnesium, but that has long been sorted now. IMO magnesium is the way to go. You will be grateful for your decision long term.

Edit: As far as I know, you can order any straps with any ZMF headphones. For special editions or one-off rare wood orders the BBB strap is included in the extra price you pay, for stock configurations the BBB strap comes at a price of $59 which I think is reasonable and again, it is worth it, and you will be happy with your decision long term.
Just my 2C. :wink:

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #566 of 738
What exactly is the difference between the BBB strap and the regular strap?

May 11, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #568 of 738
@zach915m @AnyDave could you please confirm the weight difference of the magnesium vs aluminum chassis on the CC?

BBB strap all the way. The better weight distribution of the BBB strap is far more helpful for me than the magnesium.

After you add the CC to your cart goto the Pads section of the store and click on the BBB strap and get the color you want and add it to your order.

May 11, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #569 of 738

I'm not sure if you can swap out the strap on your order or if the BBB can only be purchased as an accessory. I would recommend shooting an email to: sales@zmfheadphones.com. They'll be able to give you the definitive answer.

May 11, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #570 of 738
I'm not sure if you can swap out the strap on your order or if the BBB can only be purchased as an accessory. I would recommend shooting an email to: sales@zmfheadphones.com. They'll be able to give you the definitive answer.
That is correct from past experience. It is an added accessory that you have to install yourself. The user would need to remove the default strap and add the BBB strap. That's what I did for my CO that came with the standard strap.

I should have been clearer on that in my earlier response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back