ZMF cable pack (DIY)
Apr 27, 2021 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

lalawilson168

Head-Fier
I noticed ZMF is these DIY Cable packs, and as a ZMF fan I jumped on to ordering one without built a cable before... I have done a few DIY head amp projects and have all the tools to assemble one I believe, but has anyone purchased and built one of these and can shed some light? zmf did specifically say they dont provide instructions which is a bit of a shame

Thanks

Apr 29, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #2 of 8
If you have the kit and you post pics I'm sure people will be able to help. I don't guess the parts can be much different than people are used to working with.

The main thing about soldering is to heat the parts until they are hot enough to melt the solder. For making cables it's good to have a continuity tester, does not have to be expensive. It will let you figure out which wire is which.

Apr 29, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #3 of 8
If you have the kit and you post pics I'm sure people will be able to help. I don't guess the parts can be much different than people are used to working with.

The main thing about soldering is to heat the parts until they are hot enough to melt the solder. For making cables it's good to have a continuity tester, does not have to be expensive. It will let you figure out which wire is which.
Thanks , I will certainly do that when I receive the package. Re continuity tester, can a DMM do the job?

Apr 30, 2021 at 2:04 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks , I will certainly do that when I receive the package. Re continuity tester, can a DMM do the job?
Sure, but for people who are just getting started I recommend a continuity tester because they are simple to use. Cheap DMMs can be a safety hazard. Wait until you know more before you pick one.

May 9, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 8
Sure, but for people who are just getting started I recommend a continuity tester because they are simple to use. Cheap DMMs can be a safety hazard. Wait until you know more before you pick one.
So I have recieved the package and it seem to come with everything I need minus the tools of course. Have done some research on wiring. and i am try to do 4pin mini xlr jacks from the HPs into TRS single ended. and I have a ques re wiring if you can help.

So on the TRS side I soldered L-and R- together onto the sleeve as the solder lug on the sleeve is too small for both wires (hope thats fine), and L+ and R+ to the tip and ring respectively.

on the mini 4 pin xlr side, here is where Im really unsure. I found this diagram which I assume is applicable to my use (left side) but is there a way I can verify the orientation of the jacks?

post-3883-0-97009000-1346052778_thumb.pn

Pin 1 - L+
Pin 2 - L-
Pin 3 - R+
Pin 4 - R-

Jul 23, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #6 of 8
So I have recieved the package and it seem to come with everything I need minus the tools of course. Have done some research on wiring. and i am try to do 4pin mini xlr jacks from the HPs into TRS single ended. and I have a ques re wiring if you can help.

So on the TRS side I soldered L-and R- together onto the sleeve as the solder lug on the sleeve is too small for both wires (hope thats fine), and L+ and R+ to the tip and ring respectively.

on the mini 4 pin xlr side, here is where Im really unsure. I found this diagram which I assume is applicable to my use (left side) but is there a way I can verify the orientation of the jacks?

post-3883-0-97009000-1346052778_thumb.pn

Pin 1 - L+
Pin 2 - L-
Pin 3 - R+
Pin 4 - R-
Not sure where you are at in this process - but this image/graphic is correct. I just put a ZMF cable together. It was my first cable but I’ve don’t other similar mods.

If you run into issues, let me know. I learned a lot during the making of this cable and happy to help if I can.

I made a 12ft Michanikos SE cable. It sounds great!

Good luck and have fun!

Aug 21, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #7 of 8
Not sure where you are at in this process - but this image/graphic is correct. I just put a ZMF cable together. It was my first cable but I’ve don’t other similar mods.

If you run into issues, let me know. I learned a lot during the making of this cable and happy to help if I can.

I made a 12ft Michanikos SE cable. It sounds great!

Good luck and have fun!
Hi Snake

I would like to know how/where I could learn cable DIY? Thank you.

Aug 21, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back