ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Mar 30, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #2,161 of 2,357
I finally got around to removing the stock mesh on the Bokehs. I'm still rocking the stock pads that shipped with the headphones, but man, I am falling in love with these again. They seemed overtly warm even after burning them in for a while, with some vocals dampened, but I am a happy camper now. I guess playing with the pads is up next.

Mar 30, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #2,162 of 2,357
I finally got around to removing the stock mesh on the Bokehs. I'm still rocking the stock pads that shipped with the headphones, but man, I am falling in love with these again. They seemed overtly warm even after burning them in for a while, with some vocals dampened, but I am a happy camper now. I guess playing with the pads is up next.
For me it's standard mesh with hybrid pads. For the first 100 hours I preferred tubes, then after I hit that 100-hour mark, I've enjoyed it on SS more.

Mar 30, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #2,163 of 2,357
For me standard mesh with the BE2 Lambskin solid pads, a touch of warmth a big touch of ZMF and the Bass from Bokeh, it is to die for :heart_eyes:

Mar 30, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #2,164 of 2,357
I should edit my last post- I swapped to the hybrid pads about 5 minutes after I sent that haha.. I'm still on my liquid platinum for the amp.. been wanting to try something else on either the DAC or amp side but haven't really found anything that I think is a worthwhile upgrade from my DX7Pro

Mar 30, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #2,165 of 2,357
For me it's standard mesh with hybrid pads. For the first 100 hours I preferred tubes, then after I hit that 100-hour mark, I've enjoyed it on SS more.
I'm now very much settled on the solid mesh with suede pads. I have about 150+ hours. I do let them still play a bit when they're not on my head.

Mar 30, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #2,166 of 2,357
I'm now very much settled on the solid mesh with suede pads. I have about 150+ hours. I do let them still play a bit when they're not on my head.

It's so hard to pick a combination that sounds best, because they all sound good and have different strengths. Suede + Solid is excellent though (listening to it now).

Mar 30, 2024 at 7:13 PM Post #2,167 of 2,357
I am also at the same place - Hybrid pads and standard mesh, though loving both tubes and SS

Mar 31, 2024 at 9:48 AM Post #2,168 of 2,357
It's either that or "they sound about the same as my Apple earbuds" :beerchug:
Happy to report it's been nothing but "Whoa!" and "Damn!", and I think there just might be one or two future ZMF owners. . .

No mention of earbuds at all. :wink:

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #2,169 of 2,357
Happy to report it's been nothing but "Whoa!" and "Damn!", and I think there just might be one or two future ZMF owners. . .

No mention of earbuds at all. :wink:
Some of my demos for friends went something like,”Wow! That sounds incredible! But, do you just sit there in that one spot and just listen to music?”

Mar 31, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #2,170 of 2,357
Some of my demos for friends went something like,”Wow! That sounds incredible! But, do you just sit there in that one spot and just listen to music?”
LOL. That's an honest question, that I have never even thought about.

Mar 31, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #2,171 of 2,357
Well, even my friends with elaborate listening rooms and amazing speaker systems, still sit in the center of the room and listen for hours!

Mar 31, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #2,172 of 2,357

LOL. That's an honest question, that I have never even thought about.

Well, even my friends with elaborate listening rooms and amazing speaker systems, still sit in the center of the room and listen for hours!

Yeah, my future goal when I retire is to make a nice listening room with a comfy recliner and place the music output equipment (speakers and headphones) all together and remotely controllable. Currently I'm all on a desktop and it is not healthy for heart or posture to sit long at the desk.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #2,173 of 2,357
Just wanted to report that my brother chose Bokeh over Elites during a long testing session the other night! Pretty impressive! I agreed on certain songs too

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #2,174 of 2,357
A few people were asking for a Denon AH-D7200 vs Bokeh comparison, so here goes. The Bokeh impressions are mostly from using the stock mesh/no mesh and hybrid/suede pads. I did most comparisons on my ADI-2. I tried to keep it short.

Build quality, comfort

Both have a really nice build quality, though the Bokeh clearly has a more handmade vibe to it, and I mean that in a positive way. The size adjustment on the headband is a bit better on the D7200, but overall I prefer the Bokeh, it's definitely aesthetically more pleasing. Nothing wrong with the D7200 though.

In comfort the Bokeh is clearly better. The D7200 creates a hotspot at the headband during longer listening sessions, and the earpads fit around the ear is not as good as the Bokeh.

Isolation

Bokeh provides considerably better isolation and less sound bleed into the environment. In this regard the D7200 is almost like a semi-open headphone.

Soundstage, imaging, separation

The Bokeh is the clear winner here. After several weeks of listening, I still get surprised with how open and airy they sound. The D7200 is quite congested after getting used to the Bokeh. And just to be clear, the D7200 is not a bad headphone in this aspect, the Bokeh is just really really good. You know you're listening to a closed headphone with the D7200.

Bass

The D7200 hits a bit harder midbass, but the Bokeh goes deeper and rumbles more. Overall, the D7200 is a bit more punchy, but the Bokeh delivers more "subwoofer like" bass.

Midrange

The Bokeh is a lot more natural and forward in the midrange, D7200 has a strangely sucked out sound when comparing them directly. I’m not sure what causes it, one possibility is the 2 kHz region, when looking at FR graphs the D7200 has a dip there while the Bokeh has a bump. In this area I feel like the Bokeh just straight up is better, no matter what your preferences are.

Treble

To my ears both are pretty good in the treble region. The D7200 is a bit hotter though, so if you’re sensitive then the Bokeh will be less fatiguing. I think both strike a nice balance between having bright enough treble, while not being fatiguing.

Overall

The Bokeh is clearly a better headphone IMO. However, at this point I think it’s important to note that if you’re located in the EU, the Bokeh is 2x the D7200 price. To me, they are worth that difference though. In the US they seem to be quite close in price, in that case the Bokeh is a no-brainer (IMO).

IMG_2953.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back