ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Feb 2, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #1,262 of 2,348
For metal and rock I would recommend the Bokeh. My experience with the Arya is with the older models for full disclosure, but the impact and engagement of the Arya was lower for me. Comparing the Arya to the hd800 I had at the time, I went with the hd800 as the music I felt the Arya was strong in, such as classical, the hd800 did better (imho.).

I would choose the Bokeh over either. While something like the hd800 may surpass it in classical genres, the bokeh is strong in everything, and especially strong in the rock/alternative genres.
I like my Aryas for modern music mainly, especially pop or similar sub-genres. I like the way female vocals sound. I'd be lying if I said the Bokeh wasn't fun for that too though. Not sure if it's the closed back design but the Bokeh has this very slight "closed room reverb" effect that intensifies bass within the track. To me it's like a slight echo that really engages me. Not sure if I'm explaining it well. The bokeh is my first high end closed back

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #1,265 of 2,348
Agreed! The Bokeh isn't veiled at all. Depending on configuration it can be dark sounding, but not veiled.
I’m very happy to hear that with all the warmth and slam talk that they aren’t veiled sounding! Praying to the Sonic gods that I get my shipping notification today, I ordered release day at 2:30pm est

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #1,266 of 2,348
I’m very happy to hear that with all the warmth and slam talk that they aren’t veiled sounding! Praying to the Sonic gods that I get my shipping notification today, I ordered release day at 2:30pm est
There's something to the Bokeh's sound that seems evolutionary. Whereas the Atticus and Eikon were slightly rolled off or soft, the Bokeh is clear and sharp, but in a way that's not fatiguing to me at all. Not sure if it's the stronger magnets, or the new driver material (probably the combo of both), but it takes the best qualities of both those sets and adds even more on top. I said in one of the ZMF threads this feels like the 3rd evolutionary arc for ZMF. 1 being the Fostex mods. 2 being the Atticus/Eikon through Atrium. 3 starting with the Bokeh. Haven't heard the Caldera so leaving that out for now. Hoping to get some time with a Caldera closed once they start shipping.

Feb 2, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #1,268 of 2,348
Imaging and separation was very good when I was listening. I thought the headphone was going to sound more tight and congested compared to all my open backs but it has a surprising amount of space. The headphone is warm but not so warm that you are unable to identify specific instruments in the mix or in live recordings. I love the impact of the drums the most. Curious how it performs in games. Haven't really tested that. Would be a good directional audio test.
1000037831.jpg

Feb 2, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #1,269 of 2,348
IMG_4083.jpg

We have really started to get in a good groove with Bokeh! I appreciate everyone's patience as I know the wait can be killer. We are working hard over here and will hope to have some good sized batches through next week.

Pictured: Headphones in the oven risen to a puffy crisp. ( Do not eat your headphones)

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 2, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #1,270 of 2,348
IMG_4083.jpg

We have really started to get in a good groove with Bokeh! I appreciate everyone's patience as I know the wait can be killer. We are working hard over here and will hope to have some good sized batches through next week.

Pictured: Headphones in the oven risen to a puffy crisp. ( Do not eat your headphones)
Thanks for the update! So looking forward to these and hopefully meeting you guys at my first CanJam NYC!

Feb 2, 2024 at 9:35 PM Post #1,272 of 2,348
IMG_4083.jpg

bugs-daffy.gif

Feb 3, 2024 at 1:45 AM Post #1,274 of 2,348
I have a confession to make. My wife retired recently and spends a fair bit of time on the phone with her friends and coworkers. Having a house with an open floor plan, I suddenly find myself in need of a closed back headphone for the first time ever. I ordered the Bokeh on Christmas day and I've been waiting patiently. The problem is that I'm here reading about the poor folks who ordered on the first day lamenting that they're still waiting for the shipping notification, I figure I must be another 7-8 weeks out. So a few days ago I said patience my arse and snatched a like new Verite Closed from the classified section here and I can listen to my music in peace again. Hopefully the peaceful feeling will persist after she finds out I bought two additional headphones.:beyersmile:

Feb 3, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #1,275 of 2,348
We will have a mic cable for it as well which we just improved the microphone of as well.
Hey Mr. Z, is there going to be any sound demo on the upgraded microphone quality?
It would be nice to hear a short sound comparison between the old mic and the new mic to get some idea how much it has improved.

I think that the only dual entry mic cables have been your older cable and the audeze one, and i got the impression that both of these were not that great on the mic quality.
The newer version really interests me and probably many others, so having some idea of the sound quality would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back