ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Jan 31, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #1,246 of 2,357
Let us know and if you have some other headsets, also compare them with these
I have an Aeolus, HD800, and Arya. The BOKEH is a great addition to my collection.

I have only used the BOKEH with the stock pads.

Aeolus(Suade): little wider and thicker sound. Less fatiguing but also less impactful. Mids and mid-bass more present. Highs are recessed. Very pleasant but not as energetic. Great headphones with tubes like the HD800. Great chill headphones.
HD800(ZMF Solid Leather Pads): Much wider and detailed but less bass slam and fullness to sound. More clinical, less warmth. Pads enhance bass response to me just a little and improves the comfort. My go to because I love stage and detail. I play games as well and these happen to sound the best for that to me.
Arya(Stock Pads): Better verticality, similar width, greater detail but lacks the warmth and slam of the BOKEH. Bass is still energetic but not as full sounding with less rumble. Arya is fantastic for most genres due to its tuning, especially modern music. Has that planar sound.

The Bokeh is unlike my other headphones. I am currently hooked on it because of the impact and rumble I can get from it with certain tracks while maintaining that hint of ZMF warmth. This does not mean it is not capable in other areas. I am simply outlining the aspect of the sound that stands out the most to me. It is not the most detailed set of cans but it is definitely the most fun.

Still testing

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #1,247 of 2,357
So, the Bokeh has once again surprised the heck out of me, and is most definitely my favorite headphone in the lineup.

I recently upgraded the 300B's in my amp to WE300B, so for the past two weeks I have only listened with my VC's, as those are my familiar. Well, this morning I finally had another listen with the Bokeh using my Cayin RU7 powered by my iMac, and I was completely blown away. Even just using the RU7, the sound was freaking incredible. Heck, I even thought to myself that I could seriously be happy with just the Bokeh and RU7. The Bokeh with the RU7 is so good, I was even thinking about selling my VC's and HA300MK2. . .Don't get me wrong, my VC's with the HA300mk2 is Endgame no doubt, but there is really something special about the Bokeh as well.

Moral to the story, there is some serious magic going on with the tuning of the Bokeh, and it's such an amazing accomplishment for Zach.

Long live the Bokeh!
What software were you using on the iMac - Tidal, Apple Music, Audirvana, HQPlayer, JRiver, etc.? Also, what mode and gain were you using?

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #1,248 of 2,357
What software were you using on the iMac - Tidal, Apple Music, Audirvana, HQPlayer, JRiver, etc.?
Roon/Qobuz

The RU7 sounds substantially better powered from my iMac 27" vs. my Samsung S22+. There is more weight to the notes and a fuller more refined sound top to bottom with the iMac. The RU7 sounds like a dongle with the phone, and sounds like a desktop amp with my computer.

Feb 1, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #1,249 of 2,357
Roon/Qobuz

The RU7 sounds substantially better powered from my iMac 27" vs. my Samsung S22+. There is more weight to the notes and a fuller more refined sound top to bottom with the iMac. The RU7 sounds like a dongle with the phone, and sounds like a desktop amp with my computer.
So out of curiosity have you updated your S22 to Android 14 and are you using UAPP as the playback software?

Android 14 finally supports bit perfect playback via USB but the app used for playback needs to support it as well. If the app does not, then Android will still up sample to 48k and files like 192k or higher will get down sampled to 96k.

Android bit perfect playback is still not plug and play even on Android 14 from what I understand.

Feb 1, 2024 at 8:49 PM Post #1,250 of 2,357
So out of curiosity have you updated your S22 to Android 14 and are you using UAPP as the playback software?

Android 14 finally supports bit perfect playback via USB but the app used for playback needs to support it as well. If the app does not, then Android will still up sample to 48k and files like 192k or higher will get down sampled to 96k.

Android bit perfect playback is still not plug and play even on Android 14 from what I understand.
I do have Android 14, but I was just using the Quboz app. So, it seems I have some gains to be had by using the right playback software. Thanks for the info! I will test that with the Bokeh asap.

Feb 1, 2024 at 8:57 PM Post #1,251 of 2,357
I do have Android 14, but I was just using the Quboz app. So, it seems I have some gains to be had by using the right playback software. Thanks for the info! I will test that with the Bokeh asap.
Yes, I would be interested in your results. A locale flac file on your phone played back with UAPP vs a streamed file on Qobuz. I was reading some posts on other sites where users were still having issues playing back bit perfect on Android 14 and that UAPP is the only one supporting it on Android 14.

Feb 2, 2024 at 8:59 AM Post #1,252 of 2,357
I was wondering if someone could help me. I don't know if I order the Bokeh or the Arya Organic. I know one is closed another is opened and dynamic vs planar but I have narrow down to these 2 ones.
The main thing is I am an IEM user. I have no headphones but I understand my Mojo 2 can run both of them. The fact is I am not able to use IEMs everyday or I get a very painful ears so I was thinking into have 1 pair of headphone as well as IEMs.
I am in love with my UM Mest MK2. I tried other kilobuck IEMs (such 64 audio u4s) but I always come back to the Mest. I really like the clarity, precise bass, energy, extension and its holographic presentation. I cannot deal with bloated and overly warm sound.
Is there anyone with some experience on the Mests and these 2 headphones? Thank you

Feb 2, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #1,253 of 2,357
I was wondering if someone could help me. I don't know if I order the Bokeh or the Arya Organic. I know one is closed another is opened and dynamic vs planar but I have narrow down to these 2 ones.
The main thing is I am an IEM user. I have no headphones but I understand my Mojo 2 can run both of them. The fact is I am not able to use IEMs everyday or I get a very painful ears so I was thinking into have 1 pair of headphone as well as IEMs.
I am in love with my UM Mest MK2. I tried other kilobuck IEMs (such 64 audio u4s) but I always come back to the Mest. I really like the clarity, precise bass, energy, extension and its holographic presentation. I cannot deal with bloated and overly warm sound.
Is there anyone with some experience on the Mests and these 2 headphones? Thank you
Some will say bloated, some will say full. To me you seem like someone who would enjoy the Aryas more if clarity is more your thing.

Not saying the bokeh isn't clear, it's just that I think the Arya is clearer with less slam and warmth.

I've found my Bokeh's to be ideal for rock and metal if that helps. The mids are very prominent and the upper bass has such satisfying slam. Drums and guitars feel great. I have only tried the stock pads so far.

Had a great time last night with my pendant amp and the bokeh last night.

72 Seasons by Metallica was so much fun.
Almighty Dollar by Ozzy
Scourge of the Offspring by Cattle Decapitation was great too.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #1,254 of 2,357
I have not heard those IEMs so I cannot comment there, but in general the Bokeh is on the warmer, more euphonic side of things. It's not going to have the speed and precision of planars. You mentioned clarity, precise, etc, which are traits more inherent in planar drivers vs dynamics. I'm thinking the Ayra might be the safer bet. The Bokeh isn't bloated or imprecise, but it won't match the Arya well on the technical side of things. What the Bokeh excels at is giving you a warm, fatigue free sound with a very high level of musicality/engagement. It's a fun headphone, with very good but not planar like technical ability. I don't find it lacking on the technical side, but it won't match planars. For my own preferences the Bokeh is leagues better, but that's me. Plus i'm a rabid ZMF fanboy haha.

Feb 2, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #1,255 of 2,357
Some will say bloated, some will say full. To me you seem like someone who would enjoy the Aryas more if clarity is more your thing.

Not saying the bokeh isn't clear, it's just that I think the Arya is clearer with less slam and warmth.

I've found my Bokeh's to be ideal for rock and metal if that helps. The mids are very prominent and the upper bass has such satisfying slam. Drums and guitars feel great. I have only tried the stock pads so far.

Had a great time last night with my pendant amp and the bokeh last night.

72 Seasons by Metallica was so much fun.
Almighty Dollar by Ozzy
Scourge of the Offspring by Cattle Decapitation was great too.
Yes. My taste is more towards metal and rock as well however I can listen to everything these days as long it's well produced. Just for the experience these devices can bring to us. Thank you for the information

Feb 2, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #1,256 of 2,357
I have not heard those IEMs so I cannot comment there, but in general the Bokeh is on the warmer, more euphonic side of things. It's not going to have the speed and precision of planars. You mentioned clarity, precise, etc, which are traits more inherent in planar drivers vs dynamics. I'm thinking the Ayra might be the safer bet. The Bokeh isn't bloated or imprecise, but it won't match the Arya well on the technical side of things. What the Bokeh excels at is giving you a warm, fatigue free sound with a very high level of musicality/engagement. It's a fun headphone, with very good but not planar like technical ability. I don't find it lacking on the technical side, but it won't match planars. For my own preferences the Bokeh is leagues better, but that's me. Plus i'm a rabid ZMF fanboy haha.
Oh Damn I think I need both now haha.As long it is not veil I can deal with it. I like clarity most of all. The Mest is Dynamic driver plus a conjunction of armature, est drivers bone conduction and it is not like planar. I have a big first word problem to deal with now 😂

Feb 2, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #1,257 of 2,357
Oh Damn I think I need both now haha.As long it is not veil I can deal with it. I like clarity most of all. The Mest is Dynamic driver plus a conjunction of armature, est drivers bone conduction and it is not like planar. I have a big first word problem to deal with now 😂
Bokeh definitely isn't veiled. It was my biggest fear before buying.

Feb 2, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #1,258 of 2,357
While I don't think any of us ZMF fans here would call them veiled, it's possible that someone directly comparing to an Arya or HE1000 would find the ZMFs too thick or 'veiled' if that brighter, airier, and thinner presentation of the Hifimans is what they're used to or prefer. So I agree that based on what you've said the Arya would probably be the safer pick, but it's possible that you'd also love the Bokeh. Ideally you'd be able to try a ZMF before making your decision just so you could experience the type of presentation they give, but I understand that's not feasible for most.

(Also I only tried the Bokeh for a couple minutes, but I'm just giving general advice based on my experience with ZMF as a whole)

Feb 2, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #1,259 of 2,357
Yes it will be a blind buy. I have never tried Hifiman headphones before either. The problem is being here in the UK without places I can try before buying. There is only one retailer who sells ZMF headphones here and with Hifiman I can always return it in case I don't like (amazon). ZMF not so much.

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #1,260 of 2,357
Yes it will be a blind buy. I have never tried Hifiman headphones before either. The problem is being here in the UK without places I can try before buying. There is only one retailer who sells ZMF headphones here and with Hifiman I can always return it in case I don't like (amazon). ZMF not so much.
For metal and rock I would recommend the Bokeh. My experience with the Arya is with the older models for full disclosure, but the impact and engagement of the Arya was lower for me. Comparing the Arya to the hd800 I had at the time, I went with the hd800 as the music I felt the Arya was strong in, such as classical, the hd800 did better (imho.).

I would choose the Bokeh over either. While something like the hd800 may surpass it in classical genres, the bokeh is strong in everything, and especially strong in the rock/alternative genres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back